is this a good deal?

I'm looking to get a saiga 12 guage 19" with free 10 round mag for $529 from a local source... is this a good deal? what is the going rate for something like this? it also has threaded barrel... thanks, Fisherbear

:killer:

:super:

I Respectfully disagree with a previous poster. $529 OTD with a ten round mag is a good deal. I have seen them retailing - and selling fast - in local gun shops for $700 plus tax - no extras.

If you buy it, remember it IS a factory gun, and may or may not have a few issues with FTF, FTE. Unmodified - once broken in - you will most likely have to shoot high or medium brass ammo to get the gun to cycle reliably.

You haven't said whether or not you will convert it to a 922® compliant self defense gun, or sport shooter. If you want to get it tuned up to cycle cheap ammo, you can expect to spend some more money, but you will be happier for it at the end of the day.

Good luck with your purchase, and congratulations on your choice!

WS

I'm looking to get a saiga 12 guage 19" with free 10 round mag for $529 from a local source... is this a good deal? what is the going rate for something like this? it also has threaded barrel... thanks, Fisherbear

:killer:

:super:

Thats a fair price, especially since you will not have to pay any shipping or transfer fees.

At the $500 dollar mark, tax starts becoming significant. On any gun over $600, I will be buying online and paying shipping and transfers. That said, you are looking at probably $560 or a little more out the door. A stock Saiga that sells for $475, ships for $25 and transfers for another $25 puts you around $525 out the door, but adds a significant amount of hassle to the mix. Even if the 10 rounder is a Pro-Mag and you can find a S-12 for $475 online (irregular), the magazine offsets the difference in price. If you are in the market for an S-12, you aren't likely to find a better deal than that one.

^ I can't believe you're promoting a service offered by the thieves at AA. :(

bearhead: If your S-12 absolutely fails to cycle, send it to CGW for free warranty work. Don't waste your money on the over-hyped, expensive "service" offered by AA. If it cycles but stovepipes often, (very common with light loads in a new S-12), there are a number of things you can do to improve its function, from "breaking in" the gun with high-brass to polishing parts of the bolt assembly/fcg.

Avoid AA.

And to the topic, yes that price seems to be pretty good.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
^ I can't believe you're promoting a service offered by the thieves at AA. :(

bearhead: If your S-12 absolutely fails to cycle, send it to CGW for free warranty work. Don't waste your money on the over-hyped, expensive "service" offered by AA. If it cycles but stovepipes often, (very common with light loads in a new S-12), there are a number of things you can do to improve its function, from "breaking in" the gun with high-brass to polishing parts of the bolt assembly/fcg.

Avoid AA.

And to the topic, yes that price seems to be pretty good.

Lol! I suggested AA because I am familiar with the type work they do on gas systems. If there is another company or individual you feel is better for this kind of work, by all means - recommend them. BTW, if the gas system truly isn't up to snuff, no amount of high brass, polishing of receiver components, gas fixer plugs, or US made gas pucks will fix the issue.

One can always take pride in solving problems internally, but not everyone is interested or technically equipped to do so.

If you have a problem with AA - its no skin off my nose. I am familiar with their services, but don't personally own or use their products. However, I have a very good friend who purchased their 30 round drum and is thrilled with it. He thinks they're great, says they always answer their phones and when he has a problem (non drum related) they will offer advice on how he can fix the problem himself when they could just as easily collect the money for fixing it on their end. In my book, that's called great customer relations.

Now, I am a long time manager and I have a real problem with people who carp about problems without offering a solution. Refining the receiver components on a Saiga is always a good idea, however the receiver is less than half the equation when one is encountering gas system problems. Unless you personally know how to remove the gas exchange chamber, properly port the gun, modify the GEC gas aperature, and replace the GEC and gas tube, I suggest that you limit your suggestions and advice to the extent of your own personal experience and knowledge.

There are no doubt a number of business members on this forum qualified to do this work. I am not a business member, and I don't work for free - so I can't/won't offer services here.

I believe that in addition to AA, Cadiz Gun Works of Ohio, and Tromix can do this work. If you are familiar with others - please feel free to make suggestions.

Respectfully,

WS

Pima cty. az show today.two s-12's both 19 inch barrel standard guns five round mags. one at $600.00 out the door another at $700.00, my buddy sold a converted grip,and stock model new in box with a 12 round mag.{surefire} for $860.00 fairly big show and only three saiga's. i mentioned the m.d.drums to many and they have never heard or seen them at this show.so i sent Mike two new customer's to check out and buy his drum's.since i mentioned you have the gun now get the drum.{ one sale was to a nice female customer.}

{ one guy came over bragging he bought one drum for $100.00 for his Saiga }i told him he probably bought a drum for 7.62x39 at that price and not a 12 gauge drum from MD.arms.> go figure.<also no drum's in the entire show<

anyway thats the AZ. report.regards Ron K.