State by State Saiga Legalities

Ok, I'm looking at setting up an S-12 at some point in a super hunting/animal defense rig with a rifled barrel. But it would have to be legal in states where I'd use it.

So I was wondering what states would have a restriction on:

a.) The S-12 itself, unconverted

b.) The S-12 with a Thumbhole stock

c.) The S-12 with a P-grip and solid stock

d.) The S-12 With a folding stock

None of this would be for tactical purposes, just for comfort and convenience (folding stock for backpacking, P-grip for ergonomics, FCG conversion for better trigger), so I might want to taylor it to the laws of potential hunting states. Most could be changed accordingly (ie solid stock to T-hole to folder) but the FCG conversion would be permanent. Anyone know the state law regs and hunting regs?

Another question would be on a Saiga based big bore semi-auto rifle, ie 444 Marlin. Would use standard low-cap magazine, but would also have the question of stock/FCG legalities.

All I know thus far is to forget about anything Saiga in CA, NY has the old AWB so stock shotgun would be OK as would be a stiff stocked rifle with the P-grip/FCG conversion.

Thinking particularly about the far west and far midwest, as well as Alaska, but I think Alaska's all pro RKBA.

I thought I said that only a stock shotgun would be ok in NY. And capacity wouldn't be an issue while hunting. Any ideas on the hunting regs in NY, Bvamp? In PA we can own anything legal under fed law, but can't hunt with semi-auto pistols and rifles (semi shotguns are ok.)

Edited by BattleRifleG3

yes, in fact, i do know the hunting regs on magazine cap here in NY, as i asked the head of game regs here about it when I was looking into legality of 8 round shotgun mags for the saiga.

TWO rounds mags only for hunting, any type of hunting except small game with 22LR. any gun can be used, but there are county restrictions of what types of firearms can and cant be discharged. there are also seasons for each type of weapon. there is currently no crossbow hunting allowable unless you are handicapped and have special permission. I have heard of certain low population counties in NY that have centerfire rifle restrictions of 5 rounds instead of 2.

for instance, you cant fire a 22 or any centerfire cartridge in suffolk county NY, (most of long island) unless its at an indoor range, but you can fire a shotgun.

where i am you cannot fire a centerfire rifle unless it is on a range that has the correct insurance and permit. I shoot on the border of the county, and have never had a problem. I probably will hear shit about it now that I stated that. to those that would i say simply "come and get me, im such a bad criminal"

...Farmers can get nuisance permits here and are exempt from hunting restrictions such as season and bag limits. Local indians have similar rights as well if game is taken on private land, and the person is registered member of a local tribe.

In MD all SAIGA's are 'assault weapons' due to the kalinisikov action, and are "listed". MD residents must buy them from FFL, extra$35 paperwork. 7 day wait. Only ONE "listed" weapon in 30 days. (really more like 40 days due to 7 STATE WORKING DAY wait).

G O B

Ah well...that don't pertain ta me..Don't drink..& Damn sure don't have a pastor..

Just wish I could use at least just ONE of ma Tac-Nukes..May save em for july 4th or somethin... :devil::ph34r: Sex toy?...Hmmmmmm.... :smoke:..Got a few Squezzes..that just love em...Legally or not...

Edited by StarLynx
  • 6 years later...

Ok, I'm looking at setting up an S-12 at some point in a super hunting/animal defense rig with a rifled barrel. But it would have to be legal in states where I'd use it.

So I was wondering what states would have a restriction on:

a.) The S-12 itself, unconverted

b.) The S-12 with a Thumbhole stock

c.) The S-12 with a P-grip and solid stock

d.) The S-12 With a folding stock

None of this would be for tactical purposes, just for comfort and convenience (folding stock for backpacking, P-grip for ergonomics, FCG conversion for better trigger), so I might want to taylor it to the laws of potential hunting states. Most could be changed accordingly (ie solid stock to T-hole to folder) but the FCG conversion would be permanent. Anyone know the state law regs and hunting regs?

Another question would be on a Saiga based big bore semi-auto rifle, ie 444 Marlin. Would use standard low-cap magazine, but would also have the question of stock/FCG legalities.

All I know thus far is to forget about anything Saiga in CA, NY has the old AWB so stock shotgun would be OK as would be a stiff stocked rifle with the P-grip/FCG conversion.

Thinking particularly about the far west and far midwest, as well as Alaska, but I think Alaska's all pro RKBA.

This reply is a few years late, but actually you CAN have a Saiga-12 in California. I live in Fresno, Caifornia and have two of them. What you CAN'T have is what the stupid liberals in Sacramento call an "assault gun" configuration. You can't, for instance, have both a detachable magazine and a pistol grip. You can't have more than 10 rounds. You can't have a pistol grip forend. Etc. Etc. Etc. However, with a bullet button it is still legal to own a Saiga-12. The problem is finding FFL's that know the law. I had the same problem finding an FFL to order a Thompson 45 ACP semi-auto from Kahr. The others said they were illegal. Turns out that they just weren't hungry enough to get all the facts. The first FFL I bought from I had to explain exacty how he could legally sell me a Thompson. I took some convincing, but I got my gun. Then I found a local FFL who specializes in "evil guns" and of course knew the law. Bought a second Thompson from him and discovered the SAIGA-12. I bought 2 and a Mac-10 semi-auto. Now I only go to him. Hurrah.

JMDOVE