My Idea of a Saiga Conversion

After months of waiting for backordered parts to arrive, I finally finished my conversion. I know that some purists may object to what I decided to do but I wanted to modernize my AK platform. The way I see it, my Saiga is a new rifle built only a few months ago. Why spend time and effort making it resemble a rifle from years past? I wanted to have all of the function of an AR platform but with the reliability and power of an AK. Here are a few pictures:

Saigaconversion002.jpg

Saigaconversion003.jpg

Saigaconversion009.jpg

Saigaconversion013.jpg

I loved the look of the OD Green Duracoat so much that I did my Glock 27 in the same two tone color scheme.

Saigaconversion017.jpg

I plan to post a more detailed thread on exactly which components were used and what work I did sometime soon. I just need to take more pictures of the individual parts first. So what do you guys think?

kalashnikov is still alive lol.

What is he like 200 or something. j/k

I thought it would take a little longer for someone to correct me, and I fully expected someone to call me a dumbass, but at least you just laughed about it.

• Like 1
After months of waiting for backordered parts to arrive, I finally finished my conversion. I know that some purists may object to what I decided to do but I wanted to modernize my AK platform. The way I see it, my Saiga is a new rifle built only a few months ago. Why spend time and effort making it resemble a rifle from years past? I wanted to have all of the function of an AR platform but with the reliability and power of an AK.

I don't think there are many purists on this forum - at least, not many that are dogmatic purists. The nice thing about a Saiga is that you can customize it exactly the way you want.

It looks nice. Can you tell us what the component parts are, especially the stock and forearm?

Thanks.

Jim

• Like 1

Looks great!

We're planning on Duracoating mine in a week or two... was it as easy as the Duracoat folks would have you think?

What dissasssembly/masking was needed, and what parts are "off limits" (I heard not to hit the bolt carrier, or the carrier rails.

I'm looking at this not for looks, but for harsh environment protection.

Thanks.

The parts I used were:

Tapco Warsaw Length Buttstock

Tapco G2 Single Hook Trigger Set

Tapco Retainer Plate

Tapco SAW Style Pistol Grip

UTG Saiga Quad Rail

Kalinka Optics Low Rise AK Rail

Duracoat-OD Green

Bushnell Trophy MP 1 x 32 T-Dot Reticle

Sayeret Special Forces rifle Sling

Grip Pod Vertical Fore Grip

Raddlock AK Magazine Lock

Duracoat is EASIER to use than I had read. I just used a $10 airbrush from Harbor Freight hooked up to my air compressor. To prep it I used residue free citrus based degreaser, coarse steel wool (took it almost down to the metal very quickly and with nearly no effort), then denatured alcohol to make absolutely sure that no oils remained. I mixed the Duracoat in 12cc batches and applied. It is extremely forgiving to apply and dries well enough to assemble within 10 hours.

Edited by JaxSmirkingRevenge
The parts I used were:

Tapco Warsaw Length Buttstock

Tapco G2 Single Hook Trigger Set

Tapco Retainer Plate

Tapco SAW Style Pistol Grip

UTG Saiga Quad Rail

Kalinka Optics Low Rise AK Rail

Duracoat-OD Green

Bushnell Trophy MP 1 x 32 T-Dot Reticle

Sayeret Special Forces rifle Sling

Duracoat is EASIER to use than I had read. I just used a $10 airbrush from Harbor Freight hooked up to my air compressor. To prep it I used residue free citrus based degreaser, coarse steel wool (took it almost down to the metal very quickly and with nearly no effort), then denatured alcohol to make absolutely sure that no oils remained. I mixed the Duracoat in 12cc batches and applied. It is extremely forgiving to apply and dries well enough to assemble within 10 hours.

OK, now I'm sold on the whole Duracoat idea! Still, did you just apply to the outside of the receiver, or the bolt carrier?

You didn't blast? I was reading other posts that folks prepped with various grits of sandpaper, but it sounds so much easier than I thought! We're DEF doing this! Thanks!

BTW- I THOUGHT I recognized that sling from ZAHAL... That where you got it? Thought about their three point sling, but went with a one point instead. Your build is nearly identical to mine...

Love the rifle... I'm thinking I may go with the Rhodesian OD... a little more compatible with the local flora, and Duracoat doesn't have a Multicam template yet.

Yes, the sling is from Zahal. I love it, it works perfectly with the stock sling swivels.

As for the Duracoat, I just removed every part from the rifle so it was just the receiver and barrel. I then put the gas tube on and placed foam ear plugs in either end of the barrel and a tape plug in the gas tube hole. Then everything got sprayed, inside and out. I figured that would give me the best rust and wear protection. I will post pics of the internals tomorrow night if I can. I know the picture doesn't show it perfectly but the safety lever, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger, etc. are still the factory black. This saved some work and gave me the two tone look I was going for. I masked the rails on my UTG Handguard and used Duracoat on the non-rail sections as well as the inside surfaces. That way it is Duracoat in contact with Duracoat when the rails are mounted since the gas tube and barrel are completely coated on the outside as well.

I definately think steel wool is the way to go. I actually used a synthetic "steel wool replacement" that I came across at Home Depot. It looks like a grey Scotch Brite pad. it is very flexible and just chews right through the factory finish. I had the whole thing down to a dull metallic shine within about 40 minutes. I don't know if it is because the pad is so great or the factory finish is weak. Either way, it's fixed now.

Edited by JaxSmirkingRevenge
kalashnikov is still alive lol.

What is he like 200 or something. j/k

I thought it would take a little longer for someone to correct me, and I fully expected someone to call me a dumbass, but at least you just laughed about it.

Mr K. is going to be 90 this November....

Nice build!! Like has been said, your rifle, your's to do with as you wish! If one was rebuilding a classic car, one would do it as it pleased them, if others don't like it, hey, not their dough!

You talked me into the Duracoat also. No excuse not to when I have a compressor and Harbor freight is just 10 minutes from the house! LOL

Thanks for the post!

How is the cheek weld with that setup?

The cheek weld is adequate but not ideal if I were using a magnified optic and it sat where mine does right now. The optic that I am using is a T-dot reticle with no magnification and requires no cheek weld. If I ever go with a magnified scope, I will most likely also get a cheek pad for the stock.

Also, in regards to this "airsoft parts" term that always gets thrown around about the UTG Saiga Quad Rail; I don't get it... I have NEVER read a single bad review from anybody that owns one. Sure, UTG makes parts for some airsoft guns. They also make paintball scenario vests. But they also make tactical vests that some of our troops are wearing right now in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is a piece of aluminum with rails. It is not an engine or a clock. There are no moving parts. It fits precisely. The rails are of good quality. The aluminum is very solid and strong. There is ZERO movement. There are no Saiga airsoft guns.

This rail was made for real guns by a company that makes a lot of stuff. I really can't see paying four times as much to get the same thing with a different company's name stamped on it. Just my opinion.

Looks like a rifle meant to do some serious social shooting.The Polish troops in Iraq are putting UTG forends on their Radoms and they are among the most skilled AK users in the whole Iraq theater(coalition or otherwise). All of these purists are mental masturbators not serous shooters.

Beryl%20Commando.jpg

• Like 1
Looks like a rifle meant to do some serious social shooting.The Polish troops in Iraq are putting UTG forends on their Radoms and they are among the most skilled AK users in the whole Iraq theater(coalition or otherwise). All of these purists are mental masturbators not serous shooters.

Wow, I didn't know that about the Polish troops. Good to know. That was my intent with this rifle. i wanted to build something that would be rock solid, could be used in a serious situation, and could just keep running. Thanks for the compliment.

After months of waiting for backordered parts to arrive, I finally finished my conversion. I know that some purists may object to what I decided to do but I wanted to modernize my AK platform. The way I see it, my Saiga is a new rifle built only a few months ago. Why spend time and effort making it resemble a rifle from years past? I wanted to have all of the function of an AR platform but with the reliability and power of an AK. Here are a few pictures:

Images snipped

I plan to post a more detailed thread on exactly which components were used and what work I did sometime soon. I just need to take more pictures of the individual parts first. So what do you guys think?

I like the Bushnell red dot but the problem of them being too high just keeps bugging me. They are a touch heavy to mount on the hand guard and the scout mount suffers the same issue as yours, too high. Im finding the lower profile a rifle is the better for a list of reasons. I was able to get a scope low enough on the scout but so far red dots have been a pain. So im still looking for one for my x39 and will just leave the low scope on the 308.

• 4 weeks later...

Saigaconversion002.jpg

Saigaconversion003.jpg

Saigaconversion009.jpg

Saigaconversion013.jpg

I loved the look of the OD Green Duracoat so much that I did my Glock 27 in the same two tone color scheme.

Saigaconversion017.jpg

Nice build. I almost went with the Bushnell (Trophy?) red dot, but was concerned about the added weight. Instead, I decided on this:

http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-717-millett-sp-2-redot-30mm-5min-blk.aspx

with a UTG Double Siderail Mount.

When I bought the red dot in April, it was $69.99! I consider it a great value, gives good balance to the rifle, and it improves my accuracy with follow-up shots on the range.

How do you like your Bushnell?

Nice build. I almost went with the Bushnell (Trophy?) red dot, but was concerned about the added weight. Instead, I decided on this:

http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-717-millett-sp-2-redot-30mm-5min-blk.aspx

with a UTG Double Siderail Mount.

When I bought the red dot in April, it was $69.99! I consider it a great value, gives good balance to the rifle, and it improves my accuracy with follow-up shots on the range.

How do you like your Bushnell?

Yea, that Millet red dot gets great reviews, nice choice. I love the Bushnell that I got for a lot of reasons. My purpose of use for this rifle is in a SHTF scenario. I like the T-dot reticle for the ease of target acquisition and the optics are crystal clear. I like the adjustable brightness and color of the reticle and it holds a rock solid zero. Finally, this thing may be heavier than some alternatives but it is built like a tank. I haven't tried it but I am reasonably certain that I could drop the rifle from shoulder height onto the optic and it would not even notice. I just wanted something built AK tough and I feel like I found it.

I'm not a fan of OD green anything..........but I gotta say, it looks great on your gun. :super:

I have always liked the "military" look of OD green, so I was willing to try it out on this build. I am stoked with how it turned out. Thanks for the compliment. By the way, I just did my Remington 870 in the same color scheme too.

For anyone wondering how much DuraCoat to buy, here's a tip: I have done my Saiga and Glock (as pictured), my Remington 870, and a survival knife and kydex sheath with the OD green Duracoat and have used about two ounces out of my four ounce bottle. A little of this stuff goes a very long way.

For anyone wondering how much DuraCoat to buy, here's a tip: I have done my Saiga and Glock (as pictured), my Remington 870, and a survival knife and kydex sheath with the OD green Duracoat and have used about two ounces out of my four ounce bottle. A little of this stuff goes a very long way.

Nice, you should try to get a pic of the whole family of OD green soldiers. Did you do any prep work to the rail or did you just spray it? I really like how just the inside is painted and the actual rails are still black.

Saigaconversion002.jpg

Saigaconversion003.jpg

Saigaconversion009.jpg

Saigaconversion013.jpg

Saigaconversion017.jpg

I really like that. I'm thinking of something similar for mine when I get it.