Sign in to follow this  
smloob

trigger guard spot weld

it took me a while but i got the rivets out and im now trying to drill out that spot weld.

i odnt know if anyone else had problems with this, but my drill wont cut through this thing its pretty much just polishing the outside

i have cobalt bits and have tried drilling through from top and bottom of teh gun but the bit just spins

any tips?

I feel your pain. I recently converted my first x39, and I honestly can't remember how I got that damn weld off. I think the trauma of that little PIA caused me to block out those memories. I destroyed an entire set of DeWalt cobalt bits, and I think I may have resorted to a cold chisel and mallet. Anyway, most posts here suggest a new cobalt bit, very slow drill speed and plenty of lubrication. To this list I'd add plenty of beer and a sound proof room to protect innocent ears from the obscenities the spot weld is sure to evoke. Sorry I can't be more help.

Regards,

Sapper

it took me a while but i got the rivets out and im now trying to drill out that spot weld.

i odnt know if anyone else had problems with this, but my drill wont cut through this thing its pretty much just polishing the outside

i have cobalt bits and have tried drilling through from top and bottom of teh gun but the bit just spins

any tips?

I never even used a drill on the whole conversion. Use a Dremel and a grinding stone wheel and go at it from the underside of the plate. I had it off in about five minutes.

Anyway, most posts here suggest a new cobalt bit, very slow drill speed and plenty of lubrication.

When you think you're going slow enough...cut your speed in half

To this list I'd add plenty of beer and a sound proof room to protect innocent ears from the obscenities the spot weld is sure to evoke. Sorry I can't be more help.

These help too

I ground from the underside with a cutoff wheel.

Brand new Milwaukee drill bits drill right through the metal. A drill press helps.

Cobalt is lowes cheap brand right?

Get better bits.

:blues:

a little oil or grease on the bit tip, go very slow, and back out often to let the bit cool.

if it's spinning already you may need to sharpen it or get a new one,..lots of preasure

a little oil or grease on the bit tip, go very slow, and back out often to let the bit cool.

if it's spinning already you may need to sharpen it or get a new one,..lots of preasure

I always lightly grind it down thin, then peel it off, 4 inch angle grinder with flap wheel