yet another conversion.

hi guys, im new. :wub:

i just got my first saiga (peach state guns $349 OTD :super: ) and im dying to slap on a pistol grip, and some 30 rnd standard capacity mags. so i grabbed some tapco parts (g2 single hook trigger, and gas piston). i plan on doing a conversion soon, had a few questions, and thought i would throw a thread in here to introduce myself and get some tips.

first off, my gas tube has some dimples i thought might have housed a pin to that would need to be removed before i could install my new gas piston. after scratching around in them however i dont see a pin (even a very very small one) am i just blind or did saiga start leaving the pin out and just pressed the dimples in to put pressure on the piston threads?

also, id like to reuse my trigger guard. anyone have any tips on how to attach the front of it under the mag release? i dont really see there being enough room to throw a screw in the receiver without first removing the mag release which id like to avoid at all cost.

the tapco fcg i bought seems to have came with a free retaining plate can i use this?

does the tapco fcg need to be altered any as ive seen in a couple online walkthroughs?

any other tips you'd like to pass on? things you would have done differently on yours?

random facts:

ive already got the black nylon plugs for the extra holes.

im planning on making a temp wooden pistol grip till i can find a US made one i like.

i dont like any of the affordable US made stocks, so ill be piecing something together Wile E. Coyote style. (awwwww yeah)

thanks for any help you can give. and nice forum you have here.

After you trim the Trigger Guard the front just slides under the mag-release area, the rear bolt/nut combo you put on will safely hold the whole guard just fine. Lots of us (100+) have done it this way just fine..

Conversion threads are STICKIED at top of each forum and in the conversion forum. Lots of videos and such. I used an $8 regular AK pistol grip. Make sure you order the PG screw and nut/bushing..

drill through the two dimples and the old gas piston should unscrew. just slide the trigger guard in the gap under the mag release. the plate works just fine and thats awsum if there giving them with the g2 now. the trigger dnt need modded unless u want to reuse the bho.

would you suggest reusing the bho? im sort of on the fence as to if thats a feature i really need.

I would not recommend the BHO being re-installed. Most AK's do NOT have this feature...its a manual bolt hold open...there really is no reason to have it unless your range requires bolts to be left open or something...

I disagree. Most military firearms will have a BHO and it is a plus that the Saiga is one of the few AKs with one! Put the BHO back where it belongs. When I see a restored Saiga without one, I see that its builder had limitations.

the closest range to me is knob creek (louisville ky), i wouldnt think they'd require an open bolt.

also, anyone know of the legality of having a quick release stock on an ak? i know i can have a folding stock but it just now occurs to me that there may be some annoying federal law that "all rifles must be equipped with stock at all times"

a little progress. i still gotta do some sanding, slight shaping, and staining (leaning toward a classic-ish red) on the pistol grip but it will do for now.

10nyfcx.png

does anyone make a length adjustable stock that costs less than 100 USD and doesn't look like something that you stole off an AR? picture related

16lxr9g.png

at the moment im working on something, but its not really working out as well as id like.

• 7 months later...