5.45 conversion is underway!

UPDATES HERE! http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45006

I finally got my 5.45 in and ALMOST all of the parts that I'll need. This time around I'm going to do all the work myself and try my hardest to document the whole process with pics. Man I'm excited!

Edited by AEnemaBay

what are your plans for your conversion?

A 1980's era Russian fixed stock AK-74.

The easiest 80's-90's replica is the Naval Infantry 74 (see below). You can buy the reproduction wood at copes distributing for a decent price. You can get the 74 FSB and brake from apexgunparts for cheap, and if you want the naval slings they are on gunbroker all the time. The most expencive component would be the Izzy Bakelite mag in good condition. I look foward to seeing your final build!

402px-Soviet_Naval_Infantry_AK-74.JPEG

what are your plans for your conversion?

A 1980's era Russian fixed stock AK-74.

The easiest 80's-90's replica is the Naval Infantry 74 (see below). You can buy the reproduction wood at copes distributing for a decent price. You can get the 74 FSB and brake from apexgunparts for cheap, and if you want the naval slings they are on gunbroker all the time. The most expencive component would be the Izzy Bakelite mag in good condition. I look foward to seeing your final build!

402px-Soviet_Naval_Infantry_AK-74.JPEG

Yep, that's what I did with my .223 here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13311&st=359

But Cope's pulled the stock set after my complaints of the buttstock being HORRIBLY out of spec. They still have everything but the stock however.

This time around I'm going to be using Ironwood's new AK-74 stock set. I told him the year I was shooting for on my build and he knew exactly what they needed to look like.

BTW, does anyone know when they started to use the tension spring type gas tube? I haven't been able to find this info.

But Cope's pulled the stock set after my complaints of the buttstock being HORRIBLY out of spec. They still have everything but the stock however.

This time around I'm going to be using Ironwood's new AK-74 stock set. I told him the year I was shooting for on my build and he knew exactly what they needed to look like.

BTW, does anyone know when they started to use the tension spring type gas tube? I haven't been able to find this info.

Thats good info, I hadn't heard about those stock sets being bad. By the way if you ever wanna swap your 223 for a similarly converted 7.62x39 let me know. :smoke:

Thats good info, I hadn't heard about those stock sets being bad. By the way if you ever wanna swap your 223 for a similarly converted 7.62x39 let me know. :smoke:

It's actually for sale right now with 4 Bulgy waffle mags, 2 Galil Orlites, and an excellent condition type 3 bayonet. :smoke:

It's actually for sale right now with 4 Bulgy waffle mags, 2 Galil Orlites, and an excellent condition type 3 bayonet. :smoke:

Wanna trade? Ill give you my saiga 7.62x39 with

Bulgarian FSB

US FCG

24mm 74-style muzzle brake

global trades pistol grip and butt stock (black)

Genuine Russian 100 series Upper and Lower Hand Guard (black)

Russian Sling with rare-ish extra padding and stag proof mark

3 magazines (two steel magazines and one promag).

1 black plastic case (padded).

picture070ba.jpg

If you don't like black I can put russian plum handguards and stock on for you instead. I will of course pay the difference between the magazine disparity (you have about $150 more in magazines than I do).

Anyway let me know. :smoke: