Authentic old school conversion

So I am planning my X39 conversion and wish to do as traditional an AK as I am capable of doing.

I reinstalled the BHO on my s12 and my .223 but I am not sure whether I want to keep it on the X39.

Unlike the other two that I used hole plugs on I think I have an opportunity to have the holes welded up.

I am considering welding up the BHO slot also and leaving it off this rifle.

Will this be more authentic? Do the new military (un-neutered) Saigas have a BHO or is this just for the exported sporter style.

Any advise or opinions are welcome.

IMO, the BHO is pretty useless on the rifles. Kinda useless on a 12, but nice if you're wanting to throw a drum in, as it's bulky and you kinda need to have to bolt back to lock it in. Otherwise, with the rifle, the mags will go right in, so what's the point? I don't know about authentic, I know most AK's don't have BHO.

If you do not want to add a notched selector lever, and you shoot at a range where they require you to lock the bolt back, then keep the BHO.

Otherwise, weld that puppy shut. Dinzag and Ironwood should have you covered for classic old school AK parts :)

• Like 1

OK. first thanks for the input.

So far I have five for leave it off and two for put it back in.

And Azrial - I did not find it difficult to reinstall on my 12 or .223, just not sure I want it on the X39

Again, I am trying to do as authentic an AK as I can.

I didn't originally put mine back in either, then the 'hammer-spring' issue came up (with spring legs jumping in on the the trigger) and since I was poking around in there anyway I put mine back (BHO) in like 10 mins....

If I happen to join the range ($60/year) by 'the base' at least I have the BHO if they want me 'lock open'.....

I think "authentic" is not the right word here; after all the gun was shipped from Russia with the BHO.

If you're trying to recreate a specific model or type, just do the research.

"Do the new military (un-neutered) Saigas have a BHO or is this just for the exported sporter style."

I guess this is the root question. Do the rifles that go to the military have the BHO?

^ No. The BHO is a purely commerical feature. It works better on the sporters than on a converted rifle. If you do put it back in post conversion, I'd recomend cutting the BHO tab down so that it is flush with the receiver when activated. Otherwise it projects down over the trigger and will interfere with the trigger finger for right handed shooters.

I think the BHO is a great feature. I field strip and clean my .223 often, but when testing different ammo and breaking in a new barrel I like to run a swab thru it after every 3 or 4 shots and the BHO makes it alot eaiser to attach a swab after Ive ran the rod thru it. Well be purchashing a x39 next and well install the BHO on it too,thats just me but i like it.JT.