Okie, I've been thinking of getting an SKS and Tricking it out just because I feel like it.

What I would like to do is get one of the ATI folding stocks, which I'm pretty sure should be legal right??? I know I can get a collapsible AR stock, why not one for an SKS? problem is I've seen several sights which still say no folding ati stock for 922 rules.

I would also like to cut barrel down from 20 inches to 16, add threads and put a conical compensator. I dunno if the web sites are old but I keep finding pre and post ban crap and its driving me nuts. Is what I just said legal?

and in previous threads I've seen the discussion of 10 US parts needed? correct?

also, should I just converit to the regular detach sks mags or should I go the Uber version and mod for the AK mags to use the Drums? :eek:

Anyone got an idea for 3 rail forend? I'm not sure if I could converit an AK version to fit the SKS. At min. I could always get 3 rails and mount them to the stock, (more ghetto) or find a way to make AR/AK whatever fit.

I dunno, I try to look stuff up at the ATF website, but two hrs or reading and I have not found what I'm looking for.

any other laws? thanks guys :)

It all depends on which SKS you are getting. Some of them are only allowed to be imported due to their C&R status, so modifying them, places you up against 922r laws.

Most of the aftermarket items for the SKS are pure junk and just make the gun's functionality and reliability far worse...IMO.

Why not get a WASR-10 or SAR-1 and use that as a starting platform?

whatthedil,

you are right I could get an AK,  I dunno.  I was thinking sks would be fun and different.  Kinda like turning an sks in a modern AK.   

plus sks's are cheaper.

Agreed they are cheaper, but once you add on all the stuff you are planning...youll end up around the price the WASR-10 would cost you.

Add a folding stock and you have a hi cap 7.62x39 weapon that will probably function with more reliability than a bastardized SKS...but it could be just as much of a gamble with a Century WASR-10. =P

Keep the factory mag on the SKS- the stripper clips reload faster, and they go in from the TOP (much better for prone/bipod work) Also if the mag is NOT detachable and you buy the gun 'over the counter' and not with your C&R-you can do whatever else suits your fancy. Makes a nifty sporter with a montycarlo stock and a muzzlebreak. Note that the yugo's have a SCREWED AND PINNED gernade launcher that takes a muzzlebreak designed specifically for that application.

I bought a yugo with simular thouights in mind-but I like it too much the way it came! ESPECIALLY after I bought an M1 gernade adapter to shoot tennis balls (of course I have a dummy gernade for 'display').

G O B

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just miss the point of it...

I have an SKS and I love the gun. Other than adding a williams firesight, I have left it alone.

The aftermarket parts for these guns are 90% pure garbage. If they had a tiny bit of quality to them...these modifications may be worth it.

For are real nice one, try Accurate Plating and Weapondry in Safety Harbor, Florida. Here's a link on the mods they do.

http://www.apwcogan.com/SKS%20Page.htm

Yep, Cogan has STYLE...

pricey, but style. You bubba guys (you KNOW who you are) check that out...

STYLE Bubba, not just a ATI folding stock and a hi-cap mage -S-T-Y-L-E.

(God! It may be a "eye of the beholder" thing -and, I'm addressing the blind.)

Edited by lollygagger
  • 6 months later...

I guess one issue is if you start with either the yugo, romanian, albanian or russian rifles. These were brought in under the c&r regs, so anything you do them is dicey in terms of compliance. There are those who say that if its chinese(which are not c&r guns) and preban you have have no worries. There are enough us made parts to allow you to go high capicity if you choose too. The us made mag body, follower and base plate are there to start, then you have stocks, gas piston, operateing rods and hand guards to get you there. Check the links listed they have a good listing of parts and compliance rules.

But the only way to get a sks to take ak mags stock is to get the sks-d or m. I have seen them at gun shows for 225 to 250 so you get into them a little cheaper than a ak or WASR or such.

The biggest things is as stated above, I have them because they are different. I had toyed with building the poor mans ak in the late eighties with folding stock and a cobray mag and mag adaptor, that you fitted to the lower receiver to take a plastic/fiberfilled mag, simular to the plastic duck bills out there. So its all different strokes for different folks, I have saigas to be diferent than just ak rifles, I have the sks-d's to be different than my stock sks's, a yugo cause its cheep and different than the chinese, and then two chinese because they were the first mass imported guns and some of the features they have.

I have the means to buy the guns I want to a degree,(not always the case I used to have to pick and choose the things I could afford), and understand not everyone else does. Get what you want, be willing to work with the aftermarket stuff out there if you play with it, For a starting point and if you want the magazine detachablity, The sks-d/m is the way to go in my opnion. Not truely a poor mans ak but a nice gun to own besides an ak. The other advantage is the sks-d I have is its already paratroper length(though with the ugly thumbhole planet of the apes stock)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaving my Yugo SKS as is, very few US compliant parts are available for the SKS and I have the Saiga for tinkering with.

The Yugos are inexpensive and the 'shooter grade' I got is in decent condition. I won't use corrosive ammo so I don't worry about the barrel not being chrome lined. I haven't heard good things about aftermarket SKS magazines and if you have stripper clips the SKS is easy to quickly load using the guide in the bolt carrier.