My Super Shorty Pistol build

Bob, This is one of those guide rod builds. It was a bit challenging, as I thought that the gas port needed to be larger than stock, which caused some bad stuff initially. I swapped the barrel out and dropped back to a .125 port and she works fine now. Here is an exploded view.

102_1717.JPG

Edited by rbthntr64
  • Like 2

And the three threads that started it all;

Super shorty with the guide rod? You have to register on theakforum.net to access this thread.

A-Kmanator's cut barrel build

sKott's Super Short Guide Rod Pistol Build You have to register on theakforum.net to access this thread.

Edited by rbthntr64
  • Like 1

So you built this thing right? On a scale of 1 to 10, 2-3 being a saiga conversion, how difficult was it? I have been thinking about doing this to a pistol that I will be purchasing soon and not sure if I am up to it or if I will have to take it to someone. I will have to read some more on this and see what all is required as far as machined parts and custom stuff. Thanks for posting this.

So you built this thing right? On a scale of 1 to 10, 2-3 being a saiga conversion, how difficult was it? I have been thinking about doing this to a pistol that I will be purchasing soon and not sure if I am up to it or if I will have to take it to someone. I will have to read some more on this and see what all is required as far as machined parts and custom stuff. Thanks for posting this.

The piston is custom, the guide rod is custom, the barrel is custom etc...... If you are going to

build one, you are better off to start from scratch. Also know that there is a tremendous amount

of unburt powder, which is what causes the big flash. The powder comes out the barrel and ejection port.

For practical pistol, I will stay with my 5" build. This thing is for entertainment purposes only. As for being

able to do it yourself, I have a lathe and mill at my disposal, and both were used extensively during this

build. I haven't made a pic rail for the bayonet yet.

• Like 1

The piston is custom, the guide rod is custom, the barrel is custom etc...... If you are going to

build one, you are better off to start from scratch. Also know that there is a tremendous amount

of unburt powder, which is what causes the big flash. The powder comes out the barrel and ejection port.

For practical pistol, I will stay with my 5" build. This thing is for entertainment purposes only. As for being

able to do it yourself, I have a lathe and mill at my disposal, and both were used extensively during this

build. I haven't made a pic rail for the bayonet yet.

Ya, this may be a little out of my ball park. I guess I'll have to hit up Glockmonger or Derek at AZEX. They should be able to handle the task. Can't wait to see the boyo attached. That's cool little gun you got there.

If what your after is entertainment, the super shorty are a blast literally, but keep in mind that there is also only 2" of barrel. Of that only 1.25" is rifled with 1/10 twist.

THe bullet barely makes a quarter turn before it leaves the barrel. Not very condusive to bullet stability. There is only .5" forward of the gas port. I have not shot her at 50 yards yet. Although at 25 there is no indication of keyholing, I expect at 50, the bullets will be tumbling due to the lack of twist. The best way to determine if you are up to the tasks is to read the threads at the links I posted above.

Have fun!

• Like 1

If what your after is entertainment, the super shorty are a blast literally, but keep in mind that there is also only 2" of barrel. Of that only 1.25" is rifled with 1/10 twist.

THe bullet barely makes a quarter turn before it leaves the barrel. Not very condusive to bullet stability. There is only .5" forward of the gas port. I have not shot her at 50 yards yet. Although at 25 there is no indication of keyholing, I expect at 50, the bullets will be tumbling due to the lack of twist. The best way to determine if you are up to the tasks is to read the threads at the links I posted above.

Have fun!

I read the middle one, but apparently theakforum won't let me join. I have tried twice in the last year and nothing. But I live in an apartment with limited access to said tools so it might be best left to the professionals.

I read the middle one, but apparently theakforum won't let me join. I have tried twice in the last year and nothing. But I live in an apartment with limited access to said tools so it might be best left to the professionals.

I can check with the site owner to see if there is an issue with your registration. I know him personally. Do you, Did you use the same username as here?

• Like 1

I can check with the site owner to see if there is an issue with your registration. I know him personally. Do you, Did you use the same username as here?

That would be very cool. Yes I use the same user name. Thanks

nice work, dude!

an AK pistol that can actually be used like a pistol.....what a novel concept :)

not that it matters, but did you fill the front of the receiver at all, or did you just leave it open?

and have you clocked the muzzle velocity yet?

I gave a friend of mine, that owns a common manufacture AK pistol, an m16 style birdcage flash hider with 14x1 LH threads on it, and it had a MAJOR effect on the muzzle flash....it went from a 12" ball of fire to literally almost nothing. I know the flash is part of the fun, but you should try one out on there. We were both amazed at the effect that it had....

nice work, dude!

an AK pistol that can actually be used like a pistol.....what a novel concept :)

not that it matters, but did you fill the front of the receiver at all, or did you just leave it open?

and have you clocked the muzzle velocity yet?

I gave a friend of mine, that owns a common manufacture AK pistol, an m16 style birdcage flash hider with 14x1 LH threads on it, and it had a MAJOR effect on the muzzle flash....it went from a 12" ball of fire to literally almost nothing. I know the flash is part of the fun, but you should try one out on there. We were both amazed at the effect that it had....

Thank you for the compliment!

I don't care to reduce the flash on this one. Besides with the short gas piston, the gas block opens to the ejection port when the bolt comes back. Flash hider will not help with that. Muzzle velocity is 1286fps. I am going to make a pic rail for the bayo that will plug into the void in the front. Once again, pure entertainment.

Edited by rbthntr64
  • Like 1

That's really short.

That guide rod system would work great for the 7.62x25 conversion and the drop in .22 kit.

For the exact reason it works good on this build. The whole purpoose for the guide rod is to cut down on carrier tilt.

Theres that much tilt from the gas rod not being there to stabalize it? I guess it makes sense because of the not so tight tollerances on the AK platform. Plus that's a lot of bullet for such a small gun.

Bob, This is one of those guide rod builds.

Ah, I see...very interesting. I've heard of it but never seen one.

+1

Keith (Tac 47) said he had made one like that (with the rod) before, but didn't have a picture of the inside. Interesting indeed.

Cool build man! :up:

• 2 weeks later...