I've got the Ruger Redhawk DA .44 mag. I wanted to like the S&W better, but I didn't. The Ruger fits my hand better. It would be fine for any cougar, kind of marginal for a good size bear but it will work, and not a great weapon for snakes although if you hit that sucker he's sure going to be dead. Its the only weapon I took with me into bear country in northern California not too long ago and I felt pretty safe. I would have much rather had the Beowulf .50 but it was Caifornia and well...you know.

EDIT- I forgot to add that I think the Judge in .410 would make a great snake gun, not so much for the big stuff.

Edited by DogMan

Cougars and snakes are easy to kill compared to bears. Most black bears will run, if its a Griz forget about a pistol. I'd carry a .40 S&W with 155 grain hot hollow points and a good bullet (gold dot are tough and expand well) This or a .357 Sig with 15 rounds in the mag are a lot of fire power and much easier to carry and shoot than the .44 mag. Not that a .44 or .45 or hell a .41 cal. aren't bad. I just like the mag with more capacity just in case you run into a few zombies!

FWIW.

Oh, if you want a low priced .44 mag. try and find the short barrel Taurus!

Edited by Fluid Power

I was under the impression that the Judge only came in 45 Colt/410 and not 44 mag. Do they make a 44 mag version? If so, can you still fire 410 shells through it like you can with the 45?

I think he was asking if the judge 45/410 would work "instead" of the .44.

I have carried the Taurus Tracker in 44 mag for bear. It is a sweet little wheel-gun. The 4" barrel is enough to make for a realistic hunting handgun, but still very compact. Being made on the smaller frame (5-shot cylinder) gets the weight down significantly as compared to the 6-shot 44 mag DA steel revolvers made by Ruger and S&W. It is also very affordable compared to other DA 44 mag revolvers.

I heard so much negative feedback about the lightweight-alloy S&W and Taurus 44's that the Tracker seemed like a nice compromise between carry weight and shootability. A number of folks mentioned that, for use as a bear gun, the titanium/alloy revolvers (S&W 329 and Taurus Titanium) might as well be single-shots, because you aren't realistically ever going to get multiple shots in after all that recoil. Never shot one to judge for myself, but I see a lot of them for sale "used", and they look like they were shot once and traded in. The Tracker is significantly lighter than the steel 6-shot revolvers, but still not so light that follow-up shots are a problem. The porting on the Tracker no doubt helps with that, too.

Of course any pistol caliber is an inherent compromise for defense against bear if you are talking about grizzlies, but most of us outside of Alaska are still not ready to lug around a long-gun, regardless of a revolver's limitations. Some attack scenarios will no doubt leave you dead with a 44 where you could have survived with a rifle. Some will leave you dead no matter what you're toting. Most of us prefer a compromise between convenience-of-carry and firepower. The 44mag indeed seems both a popular and realistic choice. For the record, a retired cop was mauled outside his home two months ago, in Clark, WY. He was carrying a 41 mag, and managed to kill the grizzly sow with 3 shots, even after getting chewed up pretty good.

For bear, also be sure you carry an appropriate bullet choice. I have always regarded the 44 mag as a stop-anything hand-cannon, and was shocked to hear that my uncle's neighbor was unable to penetrate the skull of a wounded steer that he tried to put down with the 44 mag he borrowed from my uncle. Six hollow points flattened themselves out on the forehead and left the fellow with a doubly-wounded steer until he could fetch a rifle. When I heard about that, I kicked myself for all the times I've carried a "bear gun" with hollow points. I'm not even trusting the soft lead in run-of-the-mill solid points, now. Splurged on some Cor-Bon Penetrators.

Edited by GunClinger

I'm looking to buy a NIB .44mag. for hunting and field protection from cougars/bears/snakes. I don't want to break the piggy though. Any suggestions? What about the taurus judge for this application?

I would suggest the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Only a more refined person would opt for a lighter gun. You mentioned hunting, the 7.5" bbl will help also.

Blackhawk

I was talking to a LEO friend of mine who said that he would use a .357MAG. for this application. I highly respect what he has to say because he is a hunter and he also does firearms forensics. I should get a call from him today after he does some testing on the chrony and ballistics geletin. I'll keep you updated on the results. :killer:

I have a friend wanting to get rid of a couple of S&W .44 mags, he's got one trail boss snub nose, and another with I believe a 6" barrel, but could be a 5", I can't remember. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, and I'll ask him what he's looking for. The trail boss is pretty awesome. It looks like this one:

TBRRETcompressed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Smith 329pd, you know their airlite frame. Its one hell of a pistol. Its light too. If you get one though shell out the 30 dollars for new grips ( the grips from the s&w500 work best)

man can that thing ruin a single guys love life ( a real hand killer)

The S&W 329PD is the 44 mag I would look into. What I like about it is it being a lightweight backup for when your out bowhunting. I never did get one of these although maybe one of these days.

What I ended up using in grizzly country was a Glock 23 (40 S&W). As for bullets I prefer using FMJ's and shoot for neck/spine. IMO if your being charged you better stop him ASAP and not wait for a heart or lung shot to take effect. To boot, it holds more than enough bullets.

I'm looking to buy a NIB .44mag. for hunting and field protection from cougars/bears/snakes. I don't want to break the piggy though. Any suggestions? What about the taurus judge for this application?

A handgun for grizzlies is simply not enough for any but the luckiest of shots, and those types of shots probably aren't placed when the bear is charging at you. I really doubt a 44 mag could penetrate a bear skull (that and shoulders is all you see as it's charging at you), and the recoil won't give you much time for follow up shots.

If you're in a serious bear area, you're better served with a 12 ga pistol handled pump gun with slugs. The slug gun is faster and more manageable, and it's only slightly - if at all, heavier. If you feel the need to conceal while you're hiking in bear country, just forget the whole thing and carry a 10mm (or 357 mag) that you can conceal which should handle any other harassment you'll find on two or four legs.

As you may already know, the key to dealing with bears is not freaking out. Just stand your ground and when he rises up to check you out, then you sort of have to crouch down. The smaller you make yourself look the less threatened the bear will be. If he charges, there's a good chance it's a false charge. I've been charged twice in about 45 separate bear encounters while hiking out west. Just drop down and cover up. Both times I received only a stern sniffing, and a minor tap (that rolled me about three feet). It all happens so fast that I doubt I could level a handgun, or even hip shoot a slug gun in the time it takes from first sighting to having one on top of you. Both times they charged I had no idea they were there, and got too close without knowing it. If you can see them early, you'll probably have no problems.

The above said, I've been charged far more often by moose than by bears. I wouldn't try putting a moose down with a 44 mag either.

A handgun for grizzlies is simply not enough for any but the luckiest of shots, and those types of shots probably aren't placed when the bear is charging at you. I really doubt a 44 mag could penetrate a bear skull (that and shoulders is all you see as it's charging at you), and the recoil won't give you much time for follow up shots.

If you're in a serious bear area, you're better served with a 12 ga pistol handled pump gun with slugs. The slug gun is faster and more manageable, and it's only slightly - if at all, heavier. If you feel the need to conceal while you're hiking in bear country, just forget the whole thing and carry a 10mm (or 357 mag) that you can conceal which should handle any other harassment you'll find on two or four legs.

As you may already know, the key to dealing with bears is not freaking out. Just stand your ground and when he rises up to check you out, then you sort of have to crouch down. The smaller you make yourself look the less threatened the bear will be. If he charges, there's a good chance it's a false charge. I've been charged twice in about 45 separate bear encounters while hiking out west. Just drop down and cover up. Both times I received only a stern sniffing, and a minor tap (that rolled me about three feet). It all happens so fast that I doubt I could level a handgun, or even hip shoot a slug gun in the time it takes from first sighting to having one on top of you. Both times they charged I had no idea they were there, and got too close without knowing it. If you can see them early, you'll probably have no problems.

The above said, I've been charged far more often by moose than by bears. I wouldn't try putting a moose down with a 44 mag either.

Yeah, I've put alot of thought in this one, bro. I will be in bear country to shoot elk. :killer::super: Now, in a "flight or fight" situation I am the kind of guy who will fight without thinking about it first. For example, on my birthday, last year, my wife threw me a surprise birthday party, in which, I accidently knocked out my friend, who jumped out at me in my pitch black house when I came home from a hunting trip. :cryss: Waite is 6'2" and 224lbs and can handle himself :devil: and I train with cops and MMA fighters. :donatello: Fearless but not reckless. :lolol: I'm not the kind of guy who can curl up in a tiny little ball and wait for a BEAR to mangle or kill me. No sir, I can not. I'm not built like that. Now I'm not an idiot either and I know that I am the size of a small child in compairson to a grizzly so, I need something more than bear repellent to make me feel confident enough to take his or her hide if and when it MIGHT ATTACK! With that said, I am still waiting for my buddy from LVMPD to get back to me on the ballistics of said calibers in my earlier posts. Thanks for the post gentlemen. -Waite

I wouldn't call a 44 mag a useless bear gun. Then again, I don't know anybody that could unholster a loaded 44 mag while backpacking and crack off three shots in four seconds hitting a moving target. Bears move a lot faster and get on your ass alot quicker than you can imagine. Pissing a bear off is a sure way to get yourself killed regardless of how well you might think you're armed.

Personally I find the idea of carrying a pretty much useless 12 lb handgun on the 10-20 mile a day hikes we go on as not worth the effort. Considering you're probably more likely to get lost than attacked by a bear, a 12 ga is a lot more useful for feeding yourself, and shooting flares from. On a long hike, even the 12 ga can't justify its weight on your back. An accurate 22 pistol is my choice to slip into the pack, but that has nothing to do with bear defense.

I have a lot of other pistols but my favorite for backcountry (hiking, Dirtbiking etc) is Taurus .44 Magnum, 4" barrel in Titanium. Whole set up very light (like a composite 9 mm). Not the kind of gun you want to shoot a lot of rounds as recoil kind of punishing, but a great pistol and excellent peace of mind if you run into predator, 2 or 4 legged. I think it was in high $500 range, a good value.

I spend some time in Rockies Backcountry. Most of the guys in the know will not take a pistol in less than .44 caliber. You dont have a chance against a Bear in anything less.

My favorite quote is "When going into backcountry where Bears are carry pepper spray, and wear bells around your neck to warn bears of your approach. Learn to tell Bear sign scat. Black bear scat has lots of berries and nuts. Grizzly scat smells like pepper, and has bells in it."

My favorite quote is "When going into backcountry where Bears are carry pepper spray, and wear bells around your neck to warn bears of your approach. Learn to tell Bear sign scat. Black bear scat has lots of berries and nuts. Grizzly scat smells like pepper, and has bells in it."

:lolol: That's funny.

I agree with Antelop that if you're looking for something that might be for bear country, at least carry something 44 size or better. The 45 Colt is nice too, and has the benefit of being able to use 410 shells if you're concerned with snakes or something.

Corbin