What "Exotic 12ga. Ammo" have you shot?

Ok, now that I got Thrasher up and running, I'm pondering what exotics I should get to "play with". At the gun shows locally they are selling everything from your basic buckshots and slugs to grenade and flame thrower rounds. SOoooo much potential, :big_smile:

But before I blow up my gun, I thought I'd ask everyone what their experiences and thoughts are. So, What "Exotic 12ga. Ammo" have you shot and what advice can you give?

Lifa Rettur og Deyja Vel,

Mikel

I have shot flechette ammo through mine. VERY disappointing results. At 15 yards most of the darts hit the target sideways or some other wonky way that allowed them to just bounce off the target. The impenetrable target was good ol particle board !! Pretty lame. I would sooner shred my money and eat it in a salad than spend it on ANY kind of exotic ammo. It's buckshot and slugs for me! Anything else is a waste of money and a tribute to the power of advertising.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me that those "flamethrower" rounds might do godawful damage to a gas-operated shotgun like the S-12. They're undoubtedly cool, but I think I'd only ever fire them out of a cheap pump-gun.

I've never shot one of those out of a semi, because they take a long time (as compared to shot) to leave the barrel. I wouldn't want the action to cycle, partially cycle or attempt to cycle one of those things emitting sparks. The three round burst was out of my Maverick 88, the last shot was my Mossy 590. The rounds leave the barrel dirty as hell but they clean up just fine.

bird bombs for the win...

I wasn't impressed personally

Sidenote/edit.... those two were separate posts, the forum just merged my posts.... :ph34r: When does SkyNet come online again?

Edited by scoutjoe

That video is fun... but the music adds a twist to it that makes it even more fun.

My speech 101 class thought it was quite terrifying...but most of them were from Joisery and were worried about me carrying a leatherman in class so... :rolleyes:

Those flame-thrower shells look like fun. Hmmmmmmm.

See that's what you get to have in free states :haha:

My husband has shot the Dragon Fire rounds through his 590 Military, and they're pretty cool to watch at night, but I wanted to tell y'all about what they're testing down at Aberdeen now... My cousin is at West Point, and she was part of a test group.

She basically told me that this "new" round is a 12 guage, that is designed to disperse laterally, on a relatively flat plane, immediately after clearing the muzzle.

That pretty much means that once the hatch is breached, the #1 gives one round, and the room is clear.

Technology is a beautiful thing.

And yes, my hubby said that flachettes are essentially worthless in civilian form. The milspec isn't much better for anything other than clearing rooms.

Regarding Flechette rounds, they will tumble up to about 30-40 yards. If you cut one open, you will see that they are staggered in orientation, half of them are backwards. The idea, I guess, is that the backwards ones will tumble due to aerodynamics and in doing so will cause the group to spread. at 50 yards they seemed to punch nice holes in the targets, but the accuracy left much to be desired.

Thanks for all the info,

I hadn't thought about the Dragons Breath getting into the gas chamber but am worried as to if it would damage my Aluminum Chaos Wave muzzlebreak. Would be a reason to upgrade, hmm.

As for the Flechettes, those may work a bit better in a Magnum load. Been thinking about gettin into reloading. Have to feed this beast somehow, lol.

12ga grenades...I know the Mil has Antipersonel(Frag), HE, CS, and AntiVehicle. The new one sounds cool, would no longer need a spreader choke. I thought they were working on an Airial Dispersal rnd too? Has any one shot the Civilian grade grenades? Would there be any "Explosive Ordanance" restrictions to deal with and would a (?)Class III license cover that?

I have some Milspec door breachers, may have to try them on some of the logs out in my back acre.

How about the Flashbangs? I've been thinking that a couple door breachers on the locks and then a FB would be a neat way to say "Honey, I'm Home!", lol.

Saw the video, may have to try that at my friends next bonfire. :devil:

Lifa Rettur og Deyja Vel,

Mikel