No offense meant to Azrial - that crusty old sea dog.

I beat the crap out of my guns hauling them to and from the range. They sometimes get tossed down on cement benches, smacked with hammers (intentionally), have been inadvertently knocked to the ground, get shot in sandstorms, and rain. I like to tear them down and clean them with industrial jewelry steamers, and after all that the finish can get nicked, scratched, and scraped up.

Not that I don't like or care for my guns, in fact I love them. I just like to shoot them - a lot, and I love the look of astonishment and awe on a noobs face the first time he or she dumps a mag of 12 gauge ammo as fast as they can pull the trigger. So, I like to let other folks shoot them too.

I'm sure there are lots of great finishes out there. I personally like Duplicolor, because I can hit the blemishes with some 120 or 200 grit paper, touch up, and in 1/2 an hour the paint is dry and gun looks like its never been fired.

I tried the Barbecue paint early on, and didn't care for it because it lacked the durability I was looking for. I also tried the other popular engine enamels, and found them gooey and slow to dry.

To each his own - I think the finish one chooses really has to work for the way the owner uses the gun. If it works for you, it's good with me.

My two cents...

WS

OK, one poster mentioned "prep[ping] the metal well." What does that mean?

Also, are most people here just painting the bottom of the receiver, or refinishing the whole thing?

"Prepping" means lightly sanding the surface, then using alcohol to wipe it down to remove all oils from your skin to ensure the best finish possible ...

I refinished my entire rifle. If you're going to take it down that far for the conversion, why cut corners, when you could do it right? I hung my Barrel & Receiver with a metal coat hanger by the front sight, and shot the whole thing with Rust-Oleum TEXTURED Black, and it came out BEAUTIFUL! and I can tell you first hand that that paint is tough as nails if you let it cure properly, and its a better looking finish than the gun came with. I then painted my top dust cover, trigger guard, mag release, and when i finally got it put back together, its one sexy rifle! im still debating if i want the paint my bolt carrier or just polish it out to make it look chrome.

If you have any questions, just send me a PM and ill give you more details.

Edited by RoughRider666

I refinished my entire rifle. If you're going to take it down that far for the conversion, why cut corners, when you could do it right? I hung my Barrel & Receiver with a metal coat hanger by the front sight, and shot the whole thing with Rust-Oleum TEXTURED Black, and it came out BEAUTIFUL! and I can tell you first hand that that paint is tough as nails if you let it cure properly, and its a better looking finish than the gun came with. I then painted my top dust cover, trigger guard, mag release, and when i finally got it put back together, its one sexy rifle! im still debating if i want the paint my bolt carrier or just polish it out to make it look chrome.

Thanks for the information.

My rifle has a textured finish, and I was afraid to mess with it too much. I definitely need to do the bottom of the receiver, the trigger guard (which I nicked up while removing it), and the replacement dustcover that came with the Tech Sights.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Thanks for the information.

My rifle has a textured finish, and I was afraid to mess with it too much. I definitely need to do the bottom of the receiver, the trigger guard (which I nicked up while removing it), and the replacement dustcover that came with the Tech Sights.

Jim

Yeah, but this paint is going to be a different texture than the factory stuff, and a LOT stronger IMO. I LOVE Saiga's but lets face it...the finish isnt that great

Yeah, but this paint is going to be a different texture than the factory stuff, and a LOT stronger IMO.

Yea, I realize that. Probably no one will be carefully examining my finish to see the incongruities. Maybe I'll do the top cover first and see if it looks weird being different than the rest.

Another thing is, since the Saiga finish is textured, wouldn't I have to remove it first in order to have uniformity, if I did decide to do the whole thing?

Thanks again.

Yeah, but this paint is going to be a different texture than the factory stuff, and a LOT stronger IMO.

Yea, I realize that. Probably no one will be carefully examining my finish to see the incongruities. Maybe I'll do the top cover first and see if it looks weird being different than the rest.

Another thing is, since the Saiga finish is textured, wouldn't I have to remove it first in order to have uniformity, if I did decide to do the whole thing?

Thanks again.

Ahh...thats the beauty of this paint! It fills in all imperfections like a champ! im telling you man, you WON'T be disappointed with this paint, its amazing!!! Once my gun was totally stripped, i used Simple Green to degrease everything in and on the receiver using an old toothbrush to get all the nooks and crannies, and then took the garden hose to it to clean it all out, and used my air compressor to dry it all out. I masked off my Barrel bore and breech and rear sights with blue painters tape before i started to paint.