Grinding Saiga steel for MSA adapter

I placed an order for my AR Magazine adapter last night from MSA based on Nathan's visibility and willingness to help this community. I know I will eventually receive this amazing addition to my Saiga at some point, so I would like to prepare for it's arrival...much like proud parents preparing for the arrival of their first child. I know a gunsmith or machine shop is the most efficient route, but I really want to try this on my own. I haven't seen much information as far as someone doing it without a mill. I would like an idea of what would work best if using a mill is not an option.

I have a trusty Dremel with the flex shaft attachment and some tough old files from my grandfathers Navy Yard days...he worked on those rescue pods for sunkin' submarines during WW II.

For grinding out the width with the Dremel, which attachments are best...Aluminum Oxide grinding stones or Tungsten Carbide cutters. Or will a hand file work better?

For grinding out the depth, it looks a little tight in there for a file...will I have better luck with the Dremel?

I did mine with a Dremel and it was a f%&*ing pain in the ass! Save yourself some aggravation and go to a machine shop! My next gun with an adapter will be done by machine shop, no if's and's or but's about it!

I was afraid of that, but for whatever reason...I'm a glutton for punishment I guess...I am still gonna give it a shot. I figured if it becomes too much of a nightmare then I could always go to a machine shop. Of course here in NYC, I'd rather not have too many see my toy.

BTW, which Dremmel bits did you use?

I used the aluminum oxide one that is a cone cylinder shape. I recommend using the sand paper cylinders also. Buy a couple at home depot. They seem to do a better job on the inside of the mag adapter. I used a sharpie on my mags and slid it in and out to keep taking off the high spots till it dropped free. As far as the trunnion is considered the only reason I did it myself is because Diavolo arms screwed up my gun and didn't mill properly. I have been through a couple bits but I've finally gotten the mag adapter to seat properly. Hopefully if I get a free day from college I'll finish it up.

I used the aluminum oxide one that is a cone cylinder shape. I recommend using the sand paper cylinders also. Buy a couple at home depot. They seem to do a better job on the inside of the mag adapter. I used a sharpie on my mags and slid it in and out to keep taking off the high spots till it dropped free. As far as the trunnion is considered the only reason I did it myself is because Diavolo arms screwed up my gun and didn't mill properly. I have been through a couple bits but I've finally gotten the mag adapter to seat properly. Hopefully if I get a free day from college I'll finish it up.

Thanks for the info. Didn't even think to use the sand paper cylinders. Sorry to hear someone else screwed up your gun...thats why I want to do it myself...if anyone is gonna' screw up my gun it's gonna' be me :smoke:

How long did it take you to grind down the trunion?