QuikSteel Bullet Guide.....

Today after puttering and being bored and broke.. (saving for my Mossberg).. I wanted to TRY something not heard on here yet (specifically)...

Well with masking tape between the actual barrel face (and pulling it off before setting) and where I put the QuikSteel the bolt face 'locks up' great and barrel isn't 'glued' to the trunnion..

I also used a factory mag with masking tape on the front feed lip and was able to match the height with my GUIDE (aka QuikSteel).

After it set up in 1/2 hour I then tested the bolt action over the area to make sure of clearance and 'LUG' turning..

post-8775-12534868699768.jpg

Then hand cycled all my AK mags and the factory ones completely without a HITCH at all.!!!

So for $6 of QuikSteel I feel safe with this CLAY setup.. JB is a 2 part MIX, this is a 2 part ACTIVATED pliable clay..

Also its good to 500` and is solvent and water proof.. Total setup is 1 hour. Not pretty but steel GRAY..

I will be testing this out next weekend.. If it works (and stays put) I will be happy with trying something 'new' here.

post-8775-12534983128353.jpg

Here is 2 pics from my dig. camera. Both a little blurry as to hold still isn't in the cards at 1030pm..

post-8775-12535860633164_thumb.jpg

post-8775-12535860723617_thumb.jpg

Not clear enough but needless to say keep the QS off the sides as much as possible.

Obviously not up on the left LUG or too high on the right either. The goal would be filling the center where the GAP is...

Now 100% hard as crap.. Test this weekend with factory and regular AK mags...

Plan on maybe making it PRETTY for ya'll.. But maybe not. Why bother, ain't showin'....

All I want is functional... Even if for only 2000 rounds I'd be happy for $6..

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

The problem I always saw with JB weld was how brittle it was. Hard is good- but brittle is very bad. If a little piece of your feed ramp were to break off and find its way into the barrel... the bore obstruction could blow your rifle up. I don't know if quicksteel is comperable to JB weld, but 30$ for a steel bullet guide seems like a better investment than 6$ and an unknown % chance of failure.

:nothing::horror::amazing::cry::eyes_droped:

Dude. While seemingly a good idea epoxies don't do well in impact or friction areas. I've reinforced JB with steel (think rebar) but still get initial chipping as long as something hits the Epoxie. I caution against your guide. Pay heed to JK-47 when he says:

"The problem I always saw with JB weld was how brittle it was. Hard is good- but brittle is very bad. If a little piece of your feed ramp were to break off and find its way into the barrel... the bore obstruction could blow your rifle up. I don't know if quicksteel is comperable to JB weld, but 30$ for a steel bullet guide seems like a better investment than 6$ and an unknown % chance of failure."

I'm not sure if you'd get a catastrophe if a small chip found its way into your bbl but I wouldn't chance it. Take a torch to the epoxie and get it out of there now :nonono: We can't afford to loose anyone. :beer:

Considering the bullet CASING is 'skimming' along over a smooth surface I don't see any way for 'Impact' to the surface. The bolt totally clears it..

I will be trying it out and seeing...

This IS NOT, 'JB Weld' per se. and after using on a few of my MOVING car parts I don't see how this could be an issue..

Has anyone here TRIED this???!!

Considering the bullet CASING is 'skimming' along over a smooth surface I don't see any way for 'Impact' to the surface. The bolt totally clears it..

Ok so the casing is skimming, what about that pointy thing in front of the case? The bullet guide "bumps" the bullet up like a feedramp, so that is still something impacting the surface of your fix

Has anyone here TRIED this???!!

No I haven't, for the reason that I've broken JB weld entirely too often to have it be part of be part of the mechanism that controls and explosion beside my face.

• Like 1

Scout.. Not arguing directly with you in general.. but...

Actually by the time the bullet/case gets 1/3 off the magwell its SKIMMING the case and the bullet-tip is 1/4" above the 'guide'.

My guide ALMOST touches the inserted MAG front. (which I read here somewhere the AK103 FACTORY guides are designed to 'bridge' some of the GAP). Also, If the bullet-tip hits the GUIDE I made in that 1/8" (gap) I deserve what I got comin..

I cycled with the TOP COVER off just to watch the action/movement when I first did the install just to make sure and triple check my work.

If anyone here wants to DONATE a bullet-guide for a FLAT trunnion just PM me ($26 save a forum member fund). Seriously..

Until then I will be on schedule to try this out next weekend (if not this weekend).

Its not JB Weld epoxy folks.. Its a 'CLAY' there is nothing to UNGLUE unless the thing comes off in a huge piece (which I doubt).

If it FAILS or loosens AT ALL, I will be taking it off ASAP.. I'm going 1 shot at a time, nice and slow.

Maybe I will take a TEST piece of this stuff let SIT and then TEST it by WACKING it with a CHISEL on CONCRETE and post pics... But with 3900+ PSI test I don't think its going to just CRACK..

Did I mention its' drillable and TAPPABLE... Thats doesn't sound brittle..

What I will do this weekend is take a piece of this QS stuff and mount a BOLT thru it.

I will then flatten out to 1/4" thick by X-X size and let dry. Will look like a VALVE from a car.

Then I will wack said BOLT and QS stuff to see how it fractures'/aka breaks up.

If it looks like a no-go then I will try to pry the piece from my receiver.. If it lasts even abit, it stays in for me to test SHOOT next weekend..

I will post pics of the TEST this weekend..

What I don't get is NO ONE here has tried this, but all want to condemn it..

The 'JB weld' types posted here get beat up also here but have 0% reported failures...

I am going to call it as NO ONE LIKES NEW THINGS here... I feel like Boba...

P.S.

By the way BobaDebt has done some awesome buget stuff here and IMHO should be commended.

Kinda wrapped it under the mag FACING side of the trunnion. Cleaned it of course also.

Stuff tends to get HOT when curing so MUSHING it into the FLAT trunnion notch should also hold it. It don't wiggle or move AT ALL.

Its also a hair under the bbl chamber just not touching. Much like a 'REAL' bullet-guide.

What I don't get is NO ONE here has tried this, but all want to condemn it...

There are many things that I don't need to try to know that they are a bad idea. JB weld as an integral part of a firearm mechanism is one of them.

I'm a BSME and have been around the gun biz for awhile. Personally I don't care if you do it or not, and the only reason I'm posting is because some (lesser-experienced) people will think that this is a legitimate gunsmithing technique. It's not.

Honestly, would you buy a gun if you pulled back the bolt and saw that in there?

• Like 1

What I don't get is NO ONE here has tried this, but all want to condemn it..

I am going to call it as NO ONE LIKES NEW THINGS here... I feel like Boba...

I don't think it has anything to do with condemning, or not liking new things. I think, for most people, it has to do with the potential safety issues that could arise.

Stay safe on your test-run. Even though I never plan on doing this "mod", I'm interested in what your results are and don't wanna see anyone get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

im interested to see how this is going. put a few rounds through (over lol) it yet?

as for raining on your genius, ill leave that to all the real pros round here. i for one applaud the effort of trying new things, especially when those new things make it easier (not to mention safer) for diy'ers to convert the things they own into the things they want. i have the skills and tools to safely split and shape a small length of pipe, but i can also see how some well meaning soul could try it with an upturned circular saw and end up in the ER minus a few fingers, an eye, or worse.

besides why should i go through all the trouble to cut, grind, measure, fine tune, drill, countersink and tap something that i could have just molded into place like play-doh and lightly sanded? if it fails miserably what are you out? the time it takes to clean it out with a dremel? sure it could be argued that "omg what if it fails during the zombie apocalypse!?!?" but whos to say that black pipe or internet "buy it now" guide wont fail after the 6,783 round? how do we progress without trial?

if everything was better the old way we'd all still be shooting bolt actions, bows and arrows, and Kalashnikov would never have seen the room for improvement that brought us the AK in the first place. :haha: my $.02 for what its worth. good luck with the test.

Since I'm not near a range per se and wondering out to the field (here in NJ for the month) whilst bringing a 30 round mag (which would be a big no-no). I have to wait until I get up to the Poconos in PA. Mid November.

I could use a factory mag here with the guide to test the SKIMMING over the QS guide I guess.

Keep y-all' posted.

I also got 2 Thermold mags now that have the front of the mag that matches the factory mag 'guide' so I am now on the fence again..

If I decide not to do this, and get a BG by then I will post that also. [Of coures I dont have a torch handy either.]

It would suck to drive up to the Poconos and be embarassed to have a malfunction or even a misfeed.010.gif

What I don't get is NO ONE here has tried this, but all want to condemn it...

There are many things that I don't need to try to know that they are a bad idea. JB weld as an integral part of a firearm mechanism is one of them.

I'm a BSME and have been around the gun biz for awhile. Personally I don't care if you do it or not, and the only reason I'm posting is because some (lesser-experienced) people will think that this is a legitimate gunsmithing technique. It's not.

Honestly, would you buy a gun if you pulled back the bolt and saw that in there?

This is my concern when I see post like this.

CSCharlie... What is the concern.?? My posting this idea or Bob's comments???

I am not planning on selling this at all and if so I would surely just remove the QS fix totally, or install a regular Dinzag BG or the AK one from Kvar... I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid.

The concern is that someone with less experience than you or I wanders onto this forum and decides to try this thinking it's a valid way to install a bullet guide. Its ok for you to experiment, have a great time, I wish you the best. It's important for us to advise others against trying, because it's not a particularly safe or sound idea.

• 1 month later...

Well last week I decided to SPEND 012.gif and upon arrival of the BG Kit from Dinzag I took just a whack at this QS one from below on the overhang and it cracked half off.

I then removed it. Never did fire it as I had 2 Thermolds with ramps and factory mags laying around.

Here is my REAL BG install tonight after 2 TAPS..

post-8775-12585124977559.jpg

So this post is done.