....applied clear penetrating epoxy sealer to wooden gun furniture? At some point I'm going to go with wooden furniture on the x39 and am just in the thinking about it stage right now. I read the info on the Ironwood Designs site. Oils are applied to protect the wood from moisture. I'm wondering if the CPES would do the same, only better.

For those unfamiliar with the stuff, CPES is used extensively in the boat building world. Its pretty much what the name says, a very thin epoxy that penetrates the wood. I've used it on a couple projects, the plywood deck of a boat is where I first used it. When applied, the wood is pretty close to totally water/rot proof. Ends up being nice to look at, too. Seems to really accentuate the contrast in the wood grain.

I dunno, like I said, just in the thinking about it stages right now.

Here's a link.

• 1 year later...

Well, since nobody ever answered this inquiry, I guess I'm the first to try it.I'm sick as a dog at the moment, so these obviously aren't glamor shots. When I'm well, I'll look for a nice place outside in the sunshine to get some good pictures. These are the results:

73992309.jpg

122jn.jpg

121im.jpg

x392.jpg

x391.jpg

I sell doors and had a custom cedar door made from a design I had drew myself for a customer based on what they wanted. Door was solid cedar and had sidelites, transom and jambs. Never got to see the end product once finished since he was from out of town but he used something similar to this. I can only imagine it came out beautiful. The furniture on your guns looks amazing.

It was really very easy. The wood was cut by Ironwood Designs. These are the Saiga pattern sets in walnut. After lots of sanding and buffing with very fine steel wool, they were ready to start applying the finish. I applied three coats of CPES and two coats of polyurethane. The pieces were sanded and buffed between each successive coat. There were no stains or oils used, just the CPES and poly.

That's really all there is to tell. The CPES is a two part epoxy, mixed 1:1. Lay it on with a cheap brush; cheap because its going to ruin the brush. The first coat can be pretty heavy because much of what is applied will soak, almost immediately, into the wood. Additional coats should be fairly light as the wood has absorbed most of what it can of the epoxy. I let each coat dry for at least 24 hours before starting to sand for the next coat. Followed the same steps of the two coats of polyurethane.

Edited by jswledhed

This is the first time I heard of this CPES and then I saw the website which jswledhed provided and it looks like a good durable marine finish which I also intend to try.

It sounds like it will be tougher than urethane which does NOT penetrate the wood unless you use a finishing oil that is urethane fortified or an outdoor urethane finish. I had chairs which were urethane coated and they did not do well outdoors. The urethane flaked off the wood and the wood turned gray where the finish cracked.

CPES is a great product. The plywood floor I mentioned in the OP is still in use. I believe its over 10 years old now. Its been repainted a couple times, but the wood shows no sign of rot or deterioration in any capacity. Its still as solid as the day it was installed.

Edited by jswledhed