S12 DIY Trigger Guard

I am going to convert my S12 and intend to purchase your DIY bolt on trigger guard, front sight and FCG. My question is: Is the only thing holding the trigger guard/pistol grip on the two small screws?

Do they thread into the receiver?

Do they need to be dremeled or do they fit flush?

How can the pistol grip handle the full recoil of 12g with just 1.?mm of receiver and two screws (assuming only two screws hold it on)?

I am sure it works and plan on using it, just curious.

Thanks,

Warrant

I am going to convert my S12 and intend to purchase your DIY bolt on trigger guard, front sight and FCG. My question is: Is the only thing holding the trigger guard/pistol grip on the two small screws? There are three.

Do they thread into the receiver? No.

Do they need to be dremeled or do they fit flush? They fit flush. Quick and easy install.

How can the pistol grip handle the full recoil of 12g with just 1.?mm of receiver and two screws (assuming only two screws hold it on)? I dunno "how." But it does. (but like I said, with three screws)

Thanks,

Warrant

I am going to convert my S12 and intend to purchase your DIY bolt on trigger guard, front sight and FCG. My question is: Is the only thing holding the trigger guard/pistol grip on the two small screws? There are three.

Do they need to be dremeled or do they fit flush? They fit flush. Quick and easy install.

How can the pistol grip handle the full recoil of 12g with just 1.?mm of receiver and two screws (assuming only two screws hold it on)? I dunno "how." But it does. (but like I said, with three screws)

Thanks,

Warrant

Thanks. That helps very much.

Warrant

Thanks,

Warrant

Thanks. That helps very much.

Warrant

You're welcome. No problem. :up:

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to convert my S12 and intend to purchase your DIY bolt on trigger guard, front sight and FCG. My question is: Is the only thing holding the trigger guard/pistol grip on the two small screws?

How can the pistol grip handle the full recoil of 12g with just 1.?mm of receiver and two screws (assuming only two screws hold it on)?

Thanks,

Warrant

Great question, failures have been reported with the Tromix DIY TG due to exactly what you are talking about. Bottom line, it might take the recoil or it might fail as has been reported on Forum.

Yes there are 3 screws but only two take the recoil. The third is attached to front of TG which does not absorb recoil because the part is not monolithic. If one screw fails as has been reported the PG NUT portion will deform and potentially fail entirely.

On the other hand there are many satisfied users of this product and it has gotten favorable reviews from most. Most folks love Tromix products.

Edited by Antelop

If the washer is not installed on the rear screw (as spelled out in the installation instructions), it can pull through the receiver slot and the weldment will bend away from the receiver.

There was one failure like this recently reported. There was another one reported where the user attempted to modify the unit to accept a pistol grip other than the SAW grip. It is only designed to be used with the SAW grip. I don't recall any other reported issues and we have sold about 4,000 of them.

Generally speaking, if you follow the installation instructions that come with the unit, you should not have any problems.

Tony

• Like 2

I know I have had absolutely no problems the Tromix DIY TGs I have used. I normally rebend, drill, and reuse the factory one, but using the DIY TGs do cut lots of time and effort off the conversion. I have seen many other happy Saiga owners who used the Tromix one too. Every one of these people, including one FFL holder I know who does Saiga conversions for sale, has loved them. They also all knew how to read directions, as if that should even be necessary with a part like this. It should be obvious to anyone who installs one, that you can't just use a screw with a head only slightly larger than the old trigger slot it's designed to go through, without first putting a washer on it. :rolleyes: Anyone who can't figure something like that out, should not be doing their own conversions, or working on firearms at all for that matter. It should be pretty self explanatory that if you don't assemble something correctly, it cannot be expected to perform to the best of it's ability, or even perform at all. Out of the four choices I know of, for easy bolt on TGs, the Tromix is one of the best...not to mention it's the ORIGINAL.

I know of three other choices right now for bolt on TGs for Saigas.

I rate them in this order....

1. The AK-Builder EZ Install TG (which I carry in my store here)....looks more like a traditional AK TG, and can be attached with included screws, or rivets for a more professional look. Looks like this...

post-1293-12557262646224_thumb.jpg

2. This new one that came on my 5.45 Saiga conversion I bought recently and re did. IMO it looks kinda 'different' and I didn't care for the shape or the finish, assuming it is the factory finish. It's a good solid design though.

post-1293-12557261642805_thumb.jpg

3. There's another one out there that looks like a knockoff of the Tromix TG, only smaller and not very comfortable to me...plus it's not sold by a forum Vendor here so I refuse to advertise it here.

Thanks,

Warrant

Great question, failures have been reported with the Tromix DIY TG due to exactly what you are talking about. Bottom line, it might take the recoil or it might fail as has been reported on Forum.

Yes there are 3 screws but only two take the recoil. The third is attached to front of TG which does not absorb recoil because the part is not monolithic. If one screw fails as has been reported the PG NUT portion will deform and potentially fail entirely.

On the other hand there are many satisfied users of this product and it has gotten favorable reviews from most. Most folks love Tromix products.

Antelop,

Consider this a friendly reminder that the failure, ONLY ONE REPORTED so it wouldn't be plural mind you, was due to user installation error. You are being WARNED that negative remarks especially in a business members forum WILL NOT be tolerated. Lets not have this happen again. :nonono: