Fee for receiving Saiga Rifle....what is a fair price?

I am planning on placing a order through Peach Tree State this weekend (or early next week) for a Saiga 7.62x39. I contacted a Gun Dealer which owns and operates a shop out of Q-Town, in the middle of MCB Quantico, VA. (I retired from there in 02 and have only been back there once to see the museum.) The price they will charge me for receiving the rifle and faxing their FFL to PTS is $50.00, plus $2.00 for the background check. Is $50.00 a fair price? Haven't done this before so don't know. A buddy of mine is a GS in N.C., and I think he charges around $20.00, but not for sure (close though). Thanks for any quidance and help I can get. If any of you are from the Northern VA area, please let me know who you go through. Semper Fi!

I am planning on placing a order through Peach Tree State this weekend (or early next week) for a Saiga 7.62x39. I contacted a Gun Dealer which owns and operates a shop out of Q-Town, in the middle of MCB Quantico, VA. (I retired from there in 02 and have only been back there once to see the museum.) The price they will charge me for receiving the rifle and faxing their FFL to PTS is $50.00, plus $2.00 for the background check. Is $50.00 a fair price? Haven't done this before so don't know. A buddy of mine is a GS in N.C., and I think he charges around $20.00, but not for sure (close though). Thanks for any quidance and help I can get. If any of you are from the Northern VA area, please let me know who you go through. Semper Fi!

I don't live in Virginia but I will say I've found a very wide range of fees that dealers charge to transfer guns. Anywhere from $100 to $20. My guess is that the ones who charge the most don't really want to hassle with it but they will do it if someone is dumb enough to pay their fee. I go through a guy where thats the biggest part of his business and he does a large volume for the lowest fee of $20. He works out of his house to keep costs down. I would say there is a pretty good chance there is someone in your area doing the same kind of "low overhead/high volume" type business. $50 isn't outrageous but if money is tight I would shop around a bit more.

Edited by DogMan

The FFL dealer I deal with EXCLUSIVELY charges TEN DOLLARS... ( $10.00 ) yes... TEN dollars... I figure ANYTHING twice above that rate is highway robbery... as it really doesnt COST them anything to do it for you other than about 10 minutes of their time to make ONE phone call and fill out a few lines on a form, and write some numbers in their books... Depends on how GREEDY they are, I suppose...

:smoke:

I get my transfers through a pawn shop that my dad and brother have been dealing with for a number of years. I go in, ask for a copy of his FFL, send it off, and when the gun gets in, he calls and lets me know, I fill out the paperwork, and give him $20. No hassle, no sales tax, and John at Second Hand Rose in Tulsa is a great guy to deal with. Don't go there expecting to get any bargains on what he has in stock, though. :haha:

i pay $20 also, you can go on gunbroker & they have something called ffl finder. you enter your zip code & it gives you all nearby ffl holders. then you can call around & find someone who would rather do transfers.

if they charge sales tax, i think they are either mistaken, or they are keeping the money.

I live about ten miles north of Quantico and I use Virginia Arms Company in Manassas and they only charge $25.00. What is even better is that VA Arms Co FFL is already on file with Peach State Guns, which is who I bought my S-12 from. They're a great bunch of guys and very professional. I would respectfully suggest that you contact Virginia Arms Co., 9760 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110-4127, Phone: (703) 368-3949, Fax: (703) 257-6070, and Email: Info@VirginiaArms.com to facilitate your transfer.

G

I live about ten miles north of Quantico and I use Virginia Arms Company in Manassas and they only charge $25.00. What is even better is that VA Arms Co FFL is already on file with Peach State Guns, which is who I bought my S-12 from. They're a great bunch of guys and very professional. I would respectfully suggest that you contact Virginia Arms Co., 9760 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110-4127, Phone: (703) 368-3949, Fax: (703) 257-6070, and Email: Info@VirginiaArms.com to facilitate your transfer.

G

G and to all of you that have replied, thank you. Yeah, I thought was a little steep myself, but I do live in Northern Va where everything is over priced. The man I spoke with kind of ticked me off when he said, 'look, we are doing you a favor'....no way to speak to a prospective customer. Or at least not the way I was brought up. G, I will definitely give them a call and thank you very much!

i pay $20 also, you can go on gunbroker & they have something called ffl finder. you enter your zip code & it gives you all nearby ffl holders. then you can call around & find someone who would rather do transfers.

i pulled this up & not only does it give you a list, it also list the transfer fee charged. http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

(i dont work for gunbroker, just think this is a great tool)

I pay $30-flat for transfers. The newest guy I use will be my "go-to" until I move. All of my dealings with him have been seamless.

Good advice.

http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

That's how I found my current FFL. It's a pretty dated list, so make sure to call or email, and verify the prices (or to verify that they are even in business anymore). I was surprised to see how many FFL's are around me. I ran into quite a few that I had no idea even existed, and even some companies that do transfers that I would otherwise not have thought did. (I found a Heating & Air Conditioning place, where the owner had an FFL and did transfers. Go figure. Also found a few hardware stores that do transfers.)

if they charge sales tax, i think they are either mistaken, or they are keeping the money.

Yup. Seen a few of these guys too. :rolleyes:

It makes no sense. When I buy a gun online (meaning I pay that company for the gun), why in the world would I pay sales tax on that item, to the FFL doing the transfer? :ded:

If you run into one of these shops, go elsewhere, is my advice.

G

G and to all of you that have replied, thank you. Yeah, I thought was a little steep myself, but I do live in Northern Va where everything is over priced. The man I spoke with kind of ticked me off when he said, 'look, we are doing you a favor'....no way to speak to a prospective customer. Or at least not the way I was brought up. G, I will definitely give them a call and thank you very much!

Just an update. Sent Peach State Guns an email and 2 hours later received a very professional and courteous email from a lady named Lisa. So far so good.... So, I called Virginia Arms Co., and spoke with Bernie. Their price is $30.00....plus the $2.00 fee. He said that they have never charged $25.00, once it was $20 then they upped it to $30.00. No big deal though. Very nice and courteous on the phone as well. Asked if they had the Saiga 7.62 in stock, they said yes, but it was $419.00.....

So from PTG's $349.00-free shipping-$30.00 + $2.00 = $381 vs $419.00 (Hey for a retired Marine and Texan, that higher math is tough! :) Thanks again for all of your help!

terrys gun and pawn in guthrie OK charges 25 bucks