Those foreign fuckers who don't want to integrate who you see dancing in the streets here every time the United States gets attacked or suffers a calamity in some way. :angry2:

If living in America sucks so bad, go fucking home. :osama:

Good thread dude.

I have always related the word to these fuckers >> :osama:

This is why I can't understand why it's being used by some people I like a lot, and is thought of like it's something to be proud of. Someone please educate me.

This is from Wiki....

Infidel (literally "one without faith") is an English word meaning "a person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own"[1][2][3]

Infidel is also an ecclesiastical term in Christianity, the term, traditionally used by the Roman Catholic Church to refer to one who did not believe in the divinity of God, knowingly held beliefs that contradicted Catholic dogma, or one who had not been baptized,[4][5] or by Christians in general to describe non-Christians or those perceived as enemies of Christianity.[2][6] Current English speaking Catholic ecclesiastical usage however distinguishes between non-Christians and non-believers (persons without religious affiliations or beliefs).

Always been a history buff, even majored in it at University. To me the place where I first started encountering the term "infidel" was in reading about the Crusades. And if I remember correctly, it was used by the followers of Mohammed in reference to the Christians they encountered from the Crusading armies. It was generally a derogatory term used to refer to those who unlike them followed a different faith.

I must admit, I've been a little puzzled by the way some parade the term around like a badge of honor these days. But then I have never really understood pop culture anyway... :rolleyes:

I'm surprised the Marines among us haven't chimed in on this one. Looking at the etymology, it clearly comes from the Latin "fidelis," meaning loyal or faithful, with a negative prefix. So its literal meaning is "one who is disloyal or unfaithful," and has come to mean "one without religious faith."

We translate the Arabic word "kafir" as equivalent to "infidel," but there is a subtle difference. "Infidel" is a broader term, like "heretic" or "heathen," readily put to use by any religion to slander those who follow other faiths. "Kafir" translates literally to something like "denier," or "disbeliever" carrying the connotation in Arabic of denial of the Muslim prophet. "Kafir" is actually a somewhat derogatory term for any non-Muslim, although in common usage it is synonymous with "Christian".

Please note: I am not an etymologist, and the above is simply my attempt to state succinctly what I've learned in a few minutes of poking around a couple of etymological dictionaries.

On a more personal level, the word means very little to me as useful language. It's pure hyperbole, a word used to stir people up and rile their emotions against other people.

What does the word Infidel mean to me...

I see it as a word used by the other side to identify my side & any others that are not with the Islamics, in the context of the present & past conflicts that will eventually lead to the second coming of my Lord Jesus Christ.

As I see it, people wear the T's and call themselves Infidel so as to "piss off" Islamics, since that is what they tend to call anyone that is not Moslem, or at least thats according to our media. However it was first used during the Crusades by the Christians speaking Latin as stated above. So I tend to get a kick out of some Christian Rednecks(no offence to anyone here) wearing the T, thus calling himself a nonbeliever, lol. They believe in the same god, just different versions out of different books, based on the same original book from one single tribe, not related to the others, lol.

As a Polytheist and a tru modern Heathen, If I want to upset the Moslems I prefer the term Mushrikeen(sp) meaning, roughly, Believer in many (false, to them) Gods. But this can be a bit dangerous as Islam seems to hate us more than "People of the Book" ie Christians/Jews who are usually at least tolerated. Less than a handful of Polytheist live in the Arabic world, I'm told and if I understand correctly, that is in Saudi Arabia where they tend to be veiwed as a curriosity more then a threat to Allah.

Overall, I prefer Heathen, even over Pagan, because it is more geolinguistically correct, being of the Germanic Language base. Like Pagan(Latin-Pagus, Country Dweller/Bumpkin), it was origanally a derogatory term used by early "Metropolotin" Christians meaning "one who lives on the Heath" or Country dweller. Yes, Pagans and Heathens were the original Rednecks, "clinging to our Swords and Religion" against the Christian onslault.

Funny how what goes around, comes around, lol.

Lifa Rettur og Deyja Vel,

Mikel

I'm surprised the Marines among us haven't chimed in on this one. Looking at the etymology, it clearly comes from the Latin "fidelis," meaning loyal or faithful, with a negative prefix. So its literal meaning is "one who is disloyal or unfaithful," and has come to mean "one without religious faith."

Yeah, I own that, too!!!

Semper INFidelis!

DSC00795.jpg

And remember, the stupid redneck crusader not only wares...... but makes the shirt, & moderates the board LOL!!!

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

I guess I'm not as self righteous as a heathen...

But then again... I never heard of the heathen Crusade... LOL!!!!

I've always associated "Infidel" with what the Muslim fanatic/terrorists call "us", being that "we" don't follow their views and beliefs.

I am, whatever you say I am......:lolol::super:

Yeah, I own that, too!!!

Semper INFidelis!

DSC00795.jpg

And remember, the stupid redneck crusader not only wares...... but makes the shirt, & moderates the board LOL!!!

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

I guess I'm not as self righteous as a heathen...

But then again... I never heard of the heathen Crusade... LOL!!!!

LOL, YOU added stupid. There is a reason I said we were the original Rednecks; Family, Values, Faith, our biggest difference is our veiws of the divine. You don't like the Moslem incursion(me niether) but now you know what OUR preChristian Ancestors felt. Having anothers religion pushed onto to you is never pleasant and should be fought tooth and nail. I'm with ya, just remember that.

And did you never hear about the 300+ years of the Viking Age? We've all had our bloody past. Unfortunately, monotheism lends itself quite easily to power mongers wanting to consolidate their authority. Not that it's the religions fault.

"He who controls the Divine, controls the masses." It's alot easier when there is but ONE faith system.

BTW, I like the shirts, but for me it's not really accurate, lol.

LRoDV

If the radical Muslums didn't have us to hate, the Sunni and Shia would call each other Infidels and continue to kill each other in mass as they have for centuries! Depending if you are Suni Or Shia, its all about if their leaders have to come from the blood line of Ali (linked to Mohammed) or not to be considered legitimate. I equate the word Infidel to an individual who only accepts one single religious view, and needs a name for people who don't see the religious world their specific way and believes that all who don't will burn in hell. But hey, I know Christians who feel the same way if you are not born again, so go figure.

My birth was the result of Odin's first breath arising from his Odin-sleep in 1969...

I got enough Norse blood that the room drops 3 deg when I walk into a room.......

I CONVERTED to Christianity because I chose too....

Just as my ancestors did after the Christian Berzerker was the only one who passed through the fire unscathed.....

I have never "Pushed" my religion on anyone.... unwilling warriors make bad warriors...

In the Viking city of Hedeby Christians and worshippers of Odin and Thor were living side by side. The Christians had their cross, the pagan Vikings decided to use Thor's hammer as their symbol. In Hedeby you could buy both at the jewellers' shop.

Where the hell do you think Santa came from????

"...drops 3 deg when I walk into a room"

LOL, I love that.

"Just as my ancestors did after the Christian Berzerker was the only one who passed through the fire unscathed....."

Umm, I had heard it a bit different, but the result was the same. Iirc, Under Christian rule, Berserks were outlawed altogether. Poor guy sealed his own fate and likely that of his like decendants.

My point is not that Christianity is a bad thing, it was after all Heathen power mongers that found IT useful to consolidate their rule. Just as the symbols, etc of Heathenry were corrupted by Hitler, so too, was early Christianity corrupted by those seeking greater power.

"I have never "Pushed" my religion on anyone.... unwilling warriors make bad warriors..."

I never said YOU did, and I am sorry if I may have implied that. I sometimes speak too generally when I should be more specific. My apologies.

"In the Viking city of Hedeby Christians and worshippers of Odin and Thor were living side by side. The Christians had their cross, the pagan Vikings decided to use Thor's hammer as their symbol. In Hedeby you could buy both at the jewellers' shop."

EXACTLY, and this is the way it was through much of Northern Europe from the first contact. However as Christianity grew in power, the "Church" began mandating edicts stating that Christians could not deal with Heathens unless that Heathen was "Primesigned", thereby declaring that he was interested in becomeing Christian. And even that was done away with later. I think this is called economic coersion?

Again it is not the individual Christian or even the Faith itself that is problamatic, but some of those in charge being corrupted by the power, if not corrupted already. And this can occur in ANY religion.

"Where the hell do you think Santa came from????"

Yes and the "Christmas" tree and Yule Wreath, etc, etc are all North European. Many of the old ways were adopted into todays Christianity, and every ethnic group adds it's own little touches.

Ok, you converted, may I ask from what? At any rate, if you have found something that works for you, GREAT! I mean that.

Christianity NEVER worked for me. Great stories, fair historical acurraccy. But from my first day of Sunday school, I had the nagging question of "Why is there only one(god)?" Some of the responses I got were anything but nice or even well thought out. Others were better, but still not quite making sence. Took me most of 20yrs to come Home to my Ancestors via Odin and the Runes. I touched on alot of other faiths on the way, Native American and Shinto being close but not quite there. Not "mine". I would image how you felt when you came to Jesus was much akin to how I felt when I came Home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Jesus, not for the religion that came from his Disciples, but for what I believe he was trying to do for HIS people(not the world). But those are my opinions, for what they're worth, lol.

If you would like to continue this, perhaps we should start a different thread. Or feel free to Email me. Though that can sometimes lead to "He said/He said" issues.

Live Right and Die Well,

Mikel

Hows this?:

"Well," says Thangbrand, "I will give you the means whereby ye

shall prove whether my faith is better. We will hallow two

fires. The heathen men shall hallow one and I the other, but a

third shall be unhallowed; and if the Baresark is afraid of the

one that I hallow, but treads both the others, then ye shall take

the faith."

"That is well spoken," says Gest, "and I will agree to this for

myself and my household."

And when Gest had so spoken, then many more agreed to it.

Then it was said that the Baresark was coming up to the

homestead, and then the fires were made and burnt strong. Then

men took their arms and sprang up on the benches, and so

waited.

The Baresark rushed in with his weapons. He comes into the room,

and treads at once the fire which the heathen men had hallowed,

and so comes to the fire that Thangbrand had hallowed, and dares

not to tread it, but said that he was on fire all over. He hews

with his sword at the bench, but strikes a crossbeam as he

brandished the weapon aloft. Thangbrand smote the arm of the

Baresark with his crucifix, and so mighty a token followed that

the sword fell from the Baresark's hand.

Then Thangbrand thrusts a sword into his breast, and Gudleif

smote him on the arm and hewed it off. Then many went up and

slew the Baresark.

After that Thangbrand asked if they would take the faith now?

--The Saga of Burning Njál - 13th Century (events taking place around 990-1000 CE

Sounds like an old fashioned gangland beatdown more than a contest of faith, but what do I know. They set him on fire and then jumped him. Happens once a week in Oakland, im sure, this one just happened in Iceland. heh.

I dont understand the use of the word Infidel, either, as I guess most people who use it to note their virulent opposition to a faith slightly different than their own, would be better served by the word usually written below it, Kafir. Neither one makes much sense to me, though, as a self-label (though i can see the "well, if they call me that, then fine, thats what ill be") but ive almost never heard of anyone calling someone else either, in anything but hateful and cowardly propaghanda, and from the couple Muslems ive asked about seeing the shirts all the time, (popular here, out west) they dont get the shock value it is intended to carry, anymore than a Jehovas Witness is offended if you say you dont know G-d and dont want to. They just feel sorry for you, as they feel that you are missing something in your life.

If it was really about opposing certain things like that, and not about the imagined shock value, wouldnt it make more sense to wear t-shirts that said "Crusader"? Of course, that would sound more shocking, as well. Makes more sense, anyways.

Anyway, i was half expected this thread would degenerate (like things on the internet do) into nothing but "We hates muslims, grr, theys should go home er die!" but was actually quite an interesting and diverse conversation, with alot of thought put into it. You guys never cease to suprise me, and are a definite credit to the forum, and i was definately interested to see the conversation vere towards Viking history, one of my favorites. Whoda thunk.

Ahhh, yes... the Lord work in wondrous and mysterious ways!!!!????

I don't hate anyone for their faith... but If I'm persecuted for my faith, I will smite my offender.... I'd expect no less from anyone else...

I ACCEPT open criticism of my faith.... but be prepared.. you best crawl from your ivory tower come armed with wit and steel....

Funny how the "Open Minded are the first to criticize".

I'm actually smarter than I type....

I'd much rather focus on "universal truths".. but I also have no problem pointing out where MY faith does not come into line with yours....

and ya know what... it's OK....

Christians do seem to explode less in public.... just a non biased observation....

Infidel, Crusader, Chi Rho, I got it covered... Christian Warrior is about as straight forward as one can get.....

You want to see people on fire... Come on down to Detroit Oct 30th....

My treat...

BTW.. the tat is Odin, patch over the left eye as he lost it to the tree on Knowledge... (Hmmm... the Cross, perhaps??)

I DO like the "Jesus with the viking helmet on" analogy...LOL!!!

I ACCEPT my faith's history.... Even the bloody parts...

As I'm certain there was blood spilled in a less than righteous manner for our freedoms here in America,

I'm certain that less than honorable means were used to "Spread the Gospel"... Not saying it was justified...

Still, I'm glad His word has survived the trials of time..

because.....

I know the Honorable Blood of Christ was shed for us all who would CHOOSE to accept it.........

No warrior with any salt would question that.......

If you are expecting a counter part to Barak Obama who does nothing but act as an apologist for our nation and our nation's history...

you will not find it in me regarding my faith.......

Acting all weepy and humble because of century's old transgressions.... you can forget about it..... History simply ... IS...

I am NOT SORRY for being a Christian......

or EARNING my Ordination....

Does that qualify as Infidel????

I have a good freind that is asking for the "other" side to this arguement, so here you go, dude.

here is what i personally believe - you can ask around, even -

#1 - God is GOOD

#2 - God wants us to be happy

#3 - God is vengeful and jealous

#4 - God has no boundaries

I am NOT an atheist. What I believe God to be, I will be.

Here ends my tutelage on religeon, and what I think about it.

#1 - God is GOOD

#2 - God wants us to be happy

#3 - God is vengeful and jealous

#4 - God has no boundaries

All Scriptural Truths...

Most Importantly... God is Love....