thanks to the help i received here i am the proud owner of a full conversion x39 saiga. my only issue with the gun is i have a quick detach scope mount that i cant keep sighted in. at first i tries a red dot and every time i went to the range i spent 60 rounds getting back on zero at 50 yd. i figures it was the scope so i put a 3x9 off my .300 win mag and got the same result. i stopped removing the scope and tightened the mount as tight as i could get it but after i get it set the next trip out i am way off again. so great saiqa gurus,,,, bad mount? does any one have a side mounted scope that holds zero? i really need a scope on this gun for deer. i cant see squat past 50yrds at least not good enough to feel good about a 1 shot clean kill. any tips or tweaks i can use to solve this? thanks for the input,,,, past and present

post-14269-12537486476372_thumb.jpg

I have one of those and have the same issues. Some do some dont so your mileage varied. Which mount is this? If its one of those 39.00 jobs just mark it up to education and pick up one thats better made, the low profile mounts work much than those that promise iron sight co-witness and really are too high. I went to a scout mount (scoutmount.com) on my 308 and it works well. The Russian made mil-surplus mounts are supposed to work well also.

thanks guys,,, what does utg stand for and what vendor did you get them from?,,,, i wonder if i can drill and tap mine? good info

UTG is the vendor. If you search UTG quadrail, or UTG side mount, you'll get plenty of info. I've never tried the Russian milspec side mounts, but they are supposed to be superior. Do a search here on the forum for "side mount" and you will pull up several discussions about it. I think UTG stands for Under The Gun, at least in the poker world it does....

I have UTG quick-release and 3-screw mounts. Both kinds have worked well for me, with no problems zeroing a 7.62X39 or .308. Return to zero has also been good (within 1 MOA). I just make sure the mounts are all the way on and tightened properly. I am not sure why you are having issues with yours. If the quick-release version just isn't working for you, the 3-screw model should. It is not so convenient to remove, but I have found that I can field strip and clean a 7.62X39 without removing the mount.

Edited by hogdog
  • 3 weeks later...

UTG stands for "Under The Gun". Sorry bout your woes with the scope mount. I bought the same mount and have been very happy with it.

Its rock solid and retains zero for my Millett SP-2. In the 7 months I've had it, I've never had to re-zero.

The set screw for the release did need to be tightened once, but mine's never given me the problems yours has.

A small dab of Blue Loctite on the screw threads, and then tightening it to where you want it may help.

The quick-release lever is handy, and I found its not necessary to remove the mount to field strip the rifle. The cover comes off without the mount even needing to be removed.

You may have gotten a lemon. Good Luck.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

I have the three screw and seem to have some problems. Not sure if it's the rifle or mount. I can shoot 1/2" three shot groups in .223. Move out to 100 yards and can't hit the target, wait, gets better. Move out to 200 and put 3 in the 9 ring with one dead ass center! WTF? That's shooting the Wolf 55 grain and Brown Bear 62 grain. This is my 20" barrel with a 6x24 power scope. One big ass scope. I can pull it side to side slightly. Not surprising with the huge scope and the sheet metal frame. If this was a bolt gun I should be able to shoot the head off a Prairie Dog at 200 yrds (done it many times)

Darth if you read this, could it be the ammo? I've seen your groups and all I can say is Wow! But you are reloading. Also, what do you use to clean your barrels?

One other thing, could it be the variance in tolerance? Has anyone had a loose scope mount. I mean with the dove tail fit, not how the scope mount fits to the rifle. My mount is the UTG 973 three screw and I have to tighten the living hell out of it to get tight!

Sorry, I tried to insert photo of rifle, but I used "Fast Reply" and could not. I didn't mean to have three posts but thought the photo would help.

Thanks,

Frosty

Edited by Fluid Power

post-11604-1255926424461_thumb.jpg

One other thing, could it be the variance in tolerance? Has anyone had a loose scope mount. I mean with the dove tail fit, not how the scope mount fits to the rifle. My mount is the UTG 973 three screw and I have to tighten the living hell out of it to get tight!

I have the three screw and seem to have some problems. Not sure if it's the rifle or mount. I can shoot 1/2" three shot groups in .223. Move out to 100 yards and can't hit the target, wait, gets better. Move out to 200 and put 3 in the 9 ring with one dead ass center! WTF? That's shooting the Wolf 55 grain and Brown Bear 62 grain. This is my 20" barrel with a 6x24 power scope. One big ass scope. I can pull it side to side slightly. Not surprising with the huge scope and the sheet metal frame. If this was a bolt gun I should be able to shoot the head off a Prairie Dog at 200 yrds (done it many times)

Darth if you read this, could it be the ammo? I've seen your groups and all I can say is Wow! But you are reloading. Also, what do you use to clean your barrels?

Fluid, What kind of accuracy do you get when iron sights are used?

i am getting 8" groups at best at 100 yd and sadly not in the black,,,, when i do get the scope sighted i do allot better so thanks for telling me what is working for you guys,,,, here is a link to where we went deer hunting on jet skis last weekend with the saiga

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=60.72233,-147.92765&ll=60.72233,-147.92765&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

i found one of the Izmash Saiga mounts and like it a lot. they have them at saigastock

2ndsaigapics%20066.JPG

I thought the mount the OP is posting photos of is an UTG.

Will this fit the BSA RGB Dot Sight that he has mounted?unsure.gif

The scope has 30mm rings. I am not sure if his scope is a rail only mount.

On UTG Rails, BE CAREFUL. Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT tighten those screws after they give the slightest resistance! I burned a UTG side rail last year, completely stripped the threading on one hole (not the screw, the rail). It never held zero after that.

If you want an undoubtable rail-system for the AK platform, Texas Weapon Systems is what you are looking for. However, for one of those you could buy either a SKS or put a hefty payment toward another Saiga. So depending on the level of certainty your looking for, either take good care of the UTG rail or be prepared to cry when your writing the check to TWS.

i found one of the Izmash Saiga mounts and like it a lot. they have them at saigastock

Looks very substantial. How long have you owned it and how many rounds though with this mounted?

Looks very substantial. How long have you owned it and how many rounds though with this mounted?

I have only had it a few months so far, but i like it well enough. It holds well. it was designed to work with the longer factory saiga buttstock. if you are using a nato/warsaw length stock, you will need a shorter scope with a short relief. I have been looking for a forward leaning VOMZ style but have only found knock off's of the izhmash one. These are designed to work with full size scopes.

looks like the texas system is the way to go. i hesitate to spend 35$ on another side mount that may or may not work. it will be worth 135$ to have a rock solid mount even if i have to move it to clean the thing!

Cool! I was looking at that mount too. Let us know how you like it when you get one.

looks like the texas system is the way to go. i hesitate to spend 35$ on another side mount that may or may not work. it will be worth 135$ to have a rock solid mount even if i have to move it to clean the thing!

Cool! I was looking at that mount too. Let us know how you like it when you get one.

i am counting my dimes as we speak!