Firing pin spring missing. WTF!

My Saiga .308 made in 06 has a firing pin spring. I also have 2 milled Norinco MAK 90's. One has a firing pin spring, the other doesn't. All my FAL's do. GARY N4KVE

My Saiga .223 has spring.

That's why I said "...the x39's have a free-floating firing pin". I wasn't referring to other cal's of Saigas.

Some AK's have free floating pins, some have springs. The original design was free floating. Springs were added in some versions to keep the firing pin retracted, to protect against slamfiring.

Of course, if the firing pin channel gets fouled or rusted full of crap enough to stick the firing pin, a dinky spring probably won't help much.

I've read speculation on other forums that the .223 & .308 have spring loaded firing pins to avoid slam fires because there is an expectation that you will be firing American made ammo that has softer primers than the expected Russian ammo the x39 will fire (and since 7.62x39 is a russian cartridge, US made ammo of that cartridge should conform to performance of the russian made ammo). I can't confirm any of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason.

Edited by stix213

At least concerning the Saiga 7.62x39. I just spoke to the "Grand Puba :super:" Tom over at Cadiz Gun Works (Saiga's official warranty station). Tom said the Saiga 7.62x39 does not have one. He also stated that some European designs used a spring on occasion in their AK designs (as was indicated by some of the other's here) but most did not. I hope this helps.