Blue Water Sportsman's Michigan Combat 3 Gun 9-19-2009

Video:

This was their big end of the year match. The stages were very challenging in both the technical aspects of shooting, and the length of the stages that the shooter had to remember what to do. Scoring was different than most other 3 Gun Matches I have attended; you could only fire one round at most of the targets and if you missed it was 10 seconds added to your time. Follow up shots were not allowed for the most part and if you did take them they didn't count. This scoring method certainly emphasized accuracy as penalties could be accumulated rather rapidly. You will see me taking extra shots at some targets in the video after an initial miss simply because this is what I am hard wired to do. I was the only Open division competitor, but I placed 4th/39 over all.

Michigan State 3 Gun Match 9-20-2009

Video:

The Michigan State 3 Gun Match hosted by the Livingston Gun Club was certainly a unique experience this year. Five of the eight stages were blind. The shooter had no idea what they were getting into until they went through the door. The shooter had to think much harder during the stages and constantly scan for targets. Two stages in addition to being blind required the shooter to determine what color of targets they were supposed to shoot after the shot clock went off; in one case clues in the room you woke up in and in another an intel-document you read on the clock. The dark kill house required the shooter to determine threat/non-threat based on weapons the 3-D targets were holding, clothing, or other visual cues (police badge for example).

Trooper Division was a very tight race this year with 17 shooters total. The top 4 slots were less than 22 seconds apart, and 3rd (my place) and 4th were less than 1.5 seconds apart. We typically havent seen scores this close together in Trooper Division at other competitions. People are definitely upping their game.

Saiga-12s have caught on in both Trooper and Open divisions. I spotted probably around a dozen total. Four of the eight shooters on my squad were using them. MD Arms 20 round drums were also common. No two of the guns were the same, many sporting a lot of the new custom add-ons.

Match attendance over all was way up from the previous year with 76 shooters total. The Livingston Gun Club puts on a quality match. If you live in the area or will be visiting I suggest checking it out.