Is This A Good Time To Buy A Saiga?

Hello all,

I am a brand new member on this site, and have recently begun research towards buying a Saiga in the near future.

Currently, I own only handguns for home defense and CCW purposes and do not have much experience with rifles, but since the current anti-gun administration came into office and began speaking of re-instating the "assault weapons ban" (and making it *permanent*) back in February, I have been moving towards seriously considering a nice and scary semi-automatic rifle to own in defiance of those who want to dismantle the Second Amendment of the COTUS.

I didn't want to buy during the time when prices were spiking after Barack Obama came into office, and Attorney General Eric Holder gave voice to those infamous words that we all dreaded and expected. I have recently noticed that the inflated prices on the rifles that would potentially be banned are finally beginning to drop.

I am sorry for the long prelude to my question. All that I am really asking is what the title of this thread states:

"Is this a good time to buy a Saiga?"

Thank you very much.

Really, how much would they have to drop before you buy one? Just buy one! Retailers of any product rarely drop prices very much, once the market fluffs up the price. My Grandpa said " prices never go down!" Generally, I'd say he was right on.

If the S12 gets on a "banned" list how much would you have paid to have gotten one while you could?

I repeat..."Just buy one!"

You won't regret it.

We use a lot of steel in our business and steel and other raw materials just spiked back up! They used up the glut and I'm sure we will see this in other area's as well. God, I hope gas don't hit the $4 dollar range again! This is what I fear if the economy picks up again.

pass another cold one!

Hello all,

I am a brand new member on this site, and have recently begun research towards buying a Saiga in the near future.

Currently, I own only handguns for home defense and CCW purposes and do not have much experience with rifles, but since the current anti-gun administration came into office and began speaking of re-instating the "assault weapons ban" (and making it *permanent*) back in February, I have been moving towards seriously considering a nice and scary semi-automatic rifle to own in defiance of those who want to dismantle the Second Amendment of the COTUS.

I didn't want to buy during the time when prices were spiking after Barack Obama came into office, and Attorney General Eric Holder gave voice to those infamous words that we all dreaded and expected. I have recently noticed that the inflated prices on the rifles that would potentially be banned are finally beginning to drop.

I am sorry for the long prelude to my question. All that I am really asking is what the title of this thread states:

"Is this a good time to buy a Saiga?"

Thank you very much.

Welocome to the forum brother.

The answer to your question is HELL YEAH!!!

I was just at a gun show & saw a Romak-3 PSL (dragunov sniper riffle substatute) for $750.00! that is a steal!

Converted (used) Saigas, mak-90s & AKs were going for under $600. This is a great time to buy.

Buy all the forbidden toys that you can while the buying is good.

Conversion parts are cheap & will remain so, they dont have manufacture dates on them. Firearms DO.

Any day a new piece of legislation could be announced & the prices WILL SKYROCKET.

This is like if we had known that the ammo shortage was going to happen, we would have been able to stock up on 9mm for $8.00 per box as opposed to $16.00-$24.00 per box.

Just a heads up...

I got my Saiga 12 because there was no ammo other than shotgun ammo th shoot.

Any slight decrease in price that there MIGHT be in the future would be compensated for by the fact that you got to enjoy your gun sooner by buying now rather than waiting. On the other hand you could also have to buy your gun at a higher price if you wait, or not be able to get it at all. Just do it

Edited by DogMan

I bought mine BEFORE the NOBAMA gun scare...I paid $600 for mine. I got it from a nice guy that works in a local shop that I stop by periododicly, thats how I justify the $600 price tag. Just do it and get it over with, you WONT regret it, trust me. Just make up some lame excuse in your head and keep telling yourself that...if that doesnt work, open up the safe and rack the bolt...you'll smile EVERY TIME...:bad_smile:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far, gentlemen....

I'm only going to be able to start with one, due to monetary constraints, and I like to get an idea of what I am getting into through research before I make a jump. I think that I'll have one within the next couple of weeks, but I just wanted to make sure that I've got the timing right according to those who are already "in the know" here, so to speak.

7.62 X 39 is what I am considering at the moment, but I'll have to go to a couple of gun shops to see what they have....

Thanks again.

Cant wait to buy my first. Need to sell my mossy on gunbroker first. My wife wants one too. Just hope i can buy them before obuma screws it all up. I had an AK several years ago. traded that and my colt ar-15 ( both were 7.62x39 didnt like the round)

for a springfield m1a. wish i had kept the colt that was not to common.

Prices have dropped just a little recently and/or some dealers are offering special incentives such as free shipping. I just bought a Saiga 7.62 X 39 for $349 which included free shipping and no sales tax since it was an internet purchase. Paid my FFL dealer $25 to register it - the going price in my area. To me, this was a very good deal. Paid more than that for my Saiga 410 shotgun a few months ago and didn't get free S&H. Unless something really unusual happens, I don't think you will see much more of a drop in prices. There is some speculation prices for Saigas might go up with the current financial troubles at Izhmash. If you leave it stock, you will have a bargain. If you customize it, you may have a couple-few hundred more in the rifle, depending on how fancy you go.

Look on gunbroker.com at the sold saigas to get an idea of how quick things are selling and for how much. I bought a saiga 12 a couple months ago and have never looked back to see if I might have got a better deal if I had waited....after I got it and shot it I could care less. I think I got a pretty good deal but the one thing I can say is I love to shoot it and I don't think there will be a shortage of shotgun shells anytime soon like could happen with other calibers...say 45 ACP...and ammo is somewhat cheaper. I am spending less then $10 for 50 rounds now...not great ammo but plinking 7 1/2 shot ammo.

Well its a great time to buy right now, but it will be better during the holiday season. Thats the way it is every (non-election) year.

My advice: wait if $30-$40 is an issue for you (because these things always go down $30-40 during the sale season), But buy now if you can take the hit!

:dollar:

It's a good time to buy one. I actually wouldn't worry too much about the Obama administration banning them, they're already battling with controversial economic policies and healthcare reform, if they choose to push gun control, it would be political suicide. However, there has been some buzz about the financial difficulties faced by Izhmash which makes the Saiga, and that my lead to panic buying, so now is a decent time.

I read Thursday that Izhmash was filing for bankruptcy, and the thinking is that the supplies will dry up in the U.S., and prices will skyrocket again. I went Friday and bought the last S-12 that my local dealer had in stock. It is my second S-12. Buy while you can. Eat beans and Ramon noodles, and peanut butter. You will thank yourself later.

I'm getting excited to get out this week and see what nearby gunstores have to offer. I have never bought a firearm over the internet through an FFL dealer, and am not sure if I would like to do it that way, without seeing and handling a rifle firsthand before the purchase.

I'd love to get a Saiga 12, but unfortunately the outdoor range that I frequent does not allow shotguns to be fired, unless one uses only slugs....

I'm leaning towards the 7.62 X 39 because it seems to be the "classic" Kalashnikov round.

Looking forward to shopping around....

Thanks for the responses and advice!

Try to get a peek at the User Manual & Acceptance Cetficate booklet. and check the TEST FIRE page for 3 shot grouping size/spread (if going 223/7.62), smaller MilleMeter size is better...

Mine has the DIMPLES (which don't mean squat except apperance wise) and my MM spread was horrible.. Was made on Dec 16th also... So maybe the guy shooting it was drunk.. 148mm which I hear on this site is horrible... But again I have no problems with it.. Think it was the shooter that day as the number seems HI >>>

Theres never a bad time to buy one,just wan't too good a few months back.

It seems like prices are finally stable again,at least as far as they'll go,so just do it,you won't regret it.

Of course,its an addiction,so you may ...naahhh,you won't regret it.

Oops! Too late. Hey, thats OK, you can still pick you up a nice little tube shotgun.naaaa.gif

izhmashbankrupt.jpg

Is this a real article?

unsure.gif

Hell no. I left off the "day" date as a clue. I was just trying scare you into getting down to the gun store. Do you hear me now? 021.gif

Oops! Too late. Hey, thats OK, you can still pick you up a nice little tube shotgun.naaaa.gif

izhmashbankrupt.jpg

Is this a real article?

unsure.gif

Hell no. I left off the "day" date as a clue. I was just trying scare you into getting down to the gun store. Do you hear me now? 021.gif

I saw that there was no date and that the source wasn't specified, but I have seen some thread titles around here in my short time browsing about Izhmash going bankrupt, and wasn't sure if it was true or not...Yeah, you startled me.

I called some local gun stores today, and none of them had any Saigas....

You know....you can buy 7.62x39 all day long, but there is only ONE Saiga-12 and that's a fact :smoke: also, you live right there by Dinzag Arms :angel: hellllooooo :haha:

Just my .02

My understanding is that Dinzag Arms is a parts supplier, and does not actually sell firearms. I have looked at their website though, and it looks like they do some pretty great things for the Saiga community....