Gun shop owner asks "what is 5.45x39?"

In the last couple of months, I've had two gun shop owners reply "what's that?" when I ask about 5.45x39 ammo and rifles. This morning I was in a shop and when the owner asked "what's that" in response to my question about 5.45 ammo I told him it's the AK-74 round. He replied, "oh, the little one," and said "I"m sure I can order it." Last month I was in a southern Illinois gun shop and was told "never heard of it."

Is 5.45 that new and rare? Or am I just happening to run in to ol' guys who haven't kept up with the times? I don't expect to find 5.45 ammo at Wal-mart, but I'd hope to find it at the small shops that stock Wolf and Brown Bear 7.62x39. I haven't decided which Saiga I'm going to pick up, either the 223 or the 5.45 - incidents like this make me think of leaning to the 223.

I have walked into a "few" gunshops all over the US, and when i see surplus ammo in stock at the place, THEN I will ask for 545, if it not stacked in crates right next to the x39 on the floor in front of me... if you are a gunshop owner that is reading this, where I have been in my travels in the last 20 years, I have been to your shop, most likely. I still heavily prefer spending my money in the "old time" stores, to be honest.

otherwise its "hey, do you have any of that russian 223 kinda ammo?" like an idiot, and they WILL know what I am talking about, but most dont have any, at that point of the discussion.

bring a live round for them to have a look at, if you can.....

in-line with topic title.....

'ol G:

I don't know where you live, but here in the Dallas area Academy Sporting Goods locations tend to carry 5.45 as well as 7.62x39. Theirs is a house brand (Monarch). I cannot comment on the quality of their 5.45 ammo, but the 7.62 FMJ is imported through Barnaul and is good quality at a decent price. Prices were better 18 months ago but, when its in stock, their ammo is usually less than $6/20 rounds.

If you have any big box stores in your area, don't rule them out. Also, stores like Bass Pro and Cabela's will ship to you through their website. But as of now, these two sites don't offer any.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Folks,

I've got a feeling that I'll regret this but, what is .21 genghis? Oh BTW, I got my 5.45x39 in yesterday and am already starting to gather conversion parts!

Edited by 2336

Folks,

I've got a feeling that I'll regret this but, what is .21 genghis? Oh BTW, I got my 5.45x39 in yesterday and am already starting to gather conversion parts!

.21 Genghis = 5.45x39

Alexander Arms imported some 5.45x39 many many years ago (before too many folks knew what an AK74 was) and sold it as the .21 Genghis

Folks,

.21 Genghis = 5.45x39

Alexander Arms imported some 5.45x39 many many years ago (before too many folks knew what an AK74 was) and sold it as the .21 Genghis

I'm thinking about patenting '.223 Military'. :rolleyes:

You'll also notice that the prices are starting to really go up on the 5.45x39 ammo as compared to a few months ago! Amazing! I know it prolly has nothing to do with it, but it seems that since Saiga came out with the rifle, the ammo is going up!

You'll also notice that the prices are starting to really go up on the 5.45x39 ammo as compared to a few months ago! Amazing! I know it prolly has nothing to do with it, but it seems that since Saiga came out with the rifle, the ammo is going up!

It's not just the Saigas.

Quite a few manufacturers (besides Century) have started producing rifles from AK74 kits and flooding the market with them.

Price increases can also be attributed to the decline in value of the US dollar as this stuff in imported. :(

I am calling foul on that, Will.

The milsurp stuff isn't being imported any more, as it was all bought and paid for a couple of years ago.

Price increases can also be attributed to the decline in value of the US dollar as this stuff in imported. :(

I am calling foul on that, Will.

The milsurp stuff isn't being imported any more, as it was all bought and paid for a couple of years ago.

But costs are based on current resupply costs. That's why 50 year old .308 is so expensive too. And all those dusty boxes of ammo that will literally never sell are still on gun store shelves at $1 a shot for .22 Hornet. They wipe off just enough dust to put a new price on.

Gun store guys are jerks with prices. All of them. Even the one reading this. You're an asshole.

• Like 1

It happened again today. I went to another large southern Illinois sporting goods store and got the same blind look regarding 5.45x39. I tried Cabela's in northwest St. Louis Sunday-they didn't have it. So........looks like it's off to Sportsman's Guide. The gun came in this week and I have absolutely no ammo for it - so borrowing a statement I heard as a kid from a National Guardsman who was teaching me firearms safety and showing me a M-16, "a rifle with no ammo is an expensive club."

I've ordered a 1080 round tin from Sportsman's Guide. The total was $159. That price was with the buyer's club membership and a $10 off (orders over $99) coupon.

Sounds like you got a good deal. I use SG for 7.62x39, but local availability has improved to the point where I can get 500 rounds of Wolf MC pretty regularly. I hate paying for shipping! Must be the cheap bastard in me. :angel: