Back in the day Alienware was a pretty good computer, I had two of them pre-Dell buyout and they we're really good computers. When it came time to update I just built my own computer. I won't own a Dell, it seems that everything that the word Dell fucks up. It happens enough that Dell has to have a customer support section for day to day Dell fuck ups. Yeah and get this, they have an Alienware service similar to the Dell one but they won't service anything pre-Dell buyout. That's ok, I didn't want their grubby Dell hands in my computer anyways. Anyways enough about how bad Dells are we already know that. After they bought Alienware they basically became Dells, the only thing left appealing about the computers at that point was the Alien head shaped case. Alot of people tried to copy it, Alienwares original 1.5 Alienhead was an awesome case with alot of room. It looked nice sitting and even had nice circulation. Dell kept the looks of the case with the 2.0, but the case doesn't hold a candle to the 1.5 case designed by Alienware back long before the takeover by Dell. Anyways my point is they finally decided to upgrade the case, which yeah it was getting a bit overdue for a change. However they fucked the new case the hell up, looks like shit. So now the one that that was half way appealing about the Dells Alienware computers just got shot down. That's really all I have to say about that. Yes this topic belongs here this is General Discussion and we all have computers. Don't be saying stuff like "Alienware was always shit", because your full of shit Alienware used to be a great computer before they got shitty. I myself have owned 2 different Alienware Desktops and my Sister still has her Alienware Laptop. Like I said before my choice to no go with Alienware this time was because Dell bought them out. Simply put, DON'T TROLL!

Edited by dbmccart

Hell, I've been building my computers for years. That way I know exactly what I have and can get exactly what I want. Of course the only computers I don't build are my Macs. And I looove my Mac's.

You techinically can build your own Macs now.

Macs are overrated shit too. And overpriced at that. Same hardware as a PC, yet hundreds more.

Hell, I've been building my computers for years. That way I know exactly what I have and can get exactly what I want. Of course the only computers I don't build are my Macs. And I looove my Mac's.

Lol Lol Lol Lol Macs, you epic fail. Macs are the biggest Jokes of all time. Sure they can't get Viruses, but they become outdated so quickly and can't play games they might as well not even exist.

Hell, I've been building my computers for years. That way I know exactly what I have and can get exactly what I want. Of course the only computers

I don't build are my Macs. And I looove my Mac's.

You techinically can build your own Macs now.

Macs are overrated shit too. And overpriced at that. Same hardware as a PC, yet hundreds more.

Technically you can build a Mac, it's just not gonna happen. You can't get Mac parts in the same way as PC parts and by the time your done buying replacement parts to build your new MAC you just bought a new Mac.

The main reason Alienware used to be good is because back in the day you could get computers with parts that had not been publically released yet. That's actually the reason you would pay so much for Alienwares is to have that new Graphic card just a little bit earlier. Yeah they don't do that anymore, don't know when they stopped but I imagine it has something to do with Dell.

And don't bring up Macs they are the mortal enemy of the Saiga 12.

• Like 1

Alienware really sticks it to you hard with shipping and taxes. My current pc is dying, so I checked out the xps and alienware...the latter was $180 more in shipping and taxes. The tax on the alienware alone was as much as the tax on the Dell with next day shipping. Not to mention they're overpriced to begin with...they even raised the price $300 in the 3 days I looked at it.

Went with cyberpower since it's the closest thing to building it yourself and they don't stick it to you with the shipping/taxes...and you get a lot more for the money...

Technically you can build a Mac, it's just not gonna happen. You can't get Mac parts in the same way as PC parts and by the time your done buying replacement parts to build your new MAC you just bought a new Mac.

You missed that part where I said that Macs are the same Hardware as PC.

Edited by camon

Build'm myself.. I get free shit from AMD all the time... its a perk of being a moderator at their corporate forum.

Right now I have a Phenon 2 quad core sitting in a box up in the closet.. it is going into a box that has a Phenom 1 quad core setup...

Lol Lol Lol Lol Macs, you epic fail. Macs are the biggest Jokes of all time. Sure they can't get Viruses, but they become outdated so quickly and can't play games they might as well not even exist.

And what operating system do you suggest I run? Windows? That's 'Lol Lol Lol Lol Windows, you epic fail'.

Simply put, DON'T TROLL!

Uh huh...

Tacticool,

Your alternative is Linux, but even that is vulnerable. They are all vulnerable to some form of intrusion. I hate how Apple uses that "PC has more viruses" well of course they do, its the more popular choice of the end user so there is a bigger market of stupid for virus writers to cause mayhem on.

No matter what you need to compute safe. Use a better browser like Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. Don't download shit from suspicious sites. Don't open that mail attachment from "2138asdf98h3@somiliapirate.com." Do all of that and you will be safer. I have never had a virus scanner, malware scanner, etc installed on my PC. Monthly I do the Trend Micro online scan and run CC Cleaner. I have ever only gotten a virus once.

I have a desktop that runs Windows 7(Yes, retail). Win 7 btw is great. Its sexy like Vista but runs like XP.

I'm in the process of setting up a desktop in my bedroom that will run Arch Linux. And I have a Media server that is waiting on 4 1TB hdds that will run on Gentoo/Linux.

I have always run one form of Linux or another on my boxes that I built myself. I started way back when RedHat 4.1 was released. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu because it's one of the easiest distro's and it's constantly being updated (supported). I have run Gentoo (before they had an installer) and just about every other disto in existence. Unfortunately as much as I love Linux it's not a simple load and run OS. While I have no problem opening up a shell and doing some command line stuff, you're average user is going to be lost.

I never use IE, ever. I always run Firefox. The 'Windows has more viruses' is pretty lame for obvious reasons and most people can avoid windows viruses by doing what you said. I love Mac OS, it's simple to use, it has the underlying BSD foundation so if you feel the need to hit up the command line you can but let's face it that hardly ever happens. Plus it's mainstream enough to get most of the apps (including games) you want. I'm not big computer gamer so it never bothered me. I have an Xbox for that (Yes, a Microsoft product).

Mac hardware is more expensive than a comparable PC but since OS X is tied to the hardware there's not much of a choice. I have used boot camp to boot into Windows but it runs like ass and I hardly ever use it so I ended up removing it. I simply have no need for Windows. I also haven't owned Vista and never felt like I missed a thing and I have zero desire for Windows 7.

I run Plex on my MacBook for my media server. The MacBook is plugged into my TV and I can have the media server on one screen (the TV) and my laptop screen with whatever I normally have. I also have the Logitech Harmony remote for the XBox and it is the best purchase I have made. It is the best universal remote I have purchased, hands down. I even have the Netflix app loaded on my XBox. With those two I hardly ever watch cable. Both controlled by the remote too!

Sadly my uberBox has fried the mobo or proc so it's time to look into upgrading... when I start working... That will be a dedicated Linux box. I do really dig Gobolinux so I'll probably dual boot that and Ubuntu.

• Like 1

Mac hardware is more expensive than a comparable PC but since OS X is tied to the hardware there's not much of a choice. I have used boot camp to boot into Windows but it runs like ass and I hardly ever use it so I ended up removing it. I simply have no need for Windows. I also haven't owned Vista and never felt like I missed a thing and I have zero desire for Windows 7.

Im a FreeBSD user from way back, but recently switched over to Ubuntu (well, the xfce flavor) a couple months ago, as ive been pretty impressed with the progress and ease of use it has made.

Wait, Gentoo has an installer now? crimey, the times they are achangin'... I still have the printout cheat sheet of quick customized commands for a full gentoo install laying around, guess i can toss that. As a BSD user, Gentoo was always my favorite, linux, for their implementation of ports, but there sheer massive amount of support available for ubuntu is impressive, and anyone with some google-fu and patience, can learn to install, configure, tweak, expand, and adapt ubuntu to do just about anything in short order.

I still install windows betas from time to time, just to keep track of them, and somewhat familiar in case i need to work with one, but i havent seen a windows i was at all happy with since Windows Server 2003, and Win7 seems more of the same.

Pass.

Before I knew better I bought an Alienware a few years ago. Customer service did suck, My PC before, cocked out big time so I had no way to order Online. SO I had to call them......WOW they were not used to that at all!!! Threw them the HELL off... to top it off the girls had VERY thick Hispanic accents, and couldn't understand me half the time. Build time/wait time wasnt half bad. BUT when I finally got the SOB the dam power supply wasn't even SCREWED the fack in....no screws at all....I figured no reason to send the whole damn thing back so I screwed it in myself. Overall it worked fine, I did some upgrades myself through the few years I had it, kept it up clean etc.

So it did LAST.....until the day it was hit by lighting......DOH!!! That was the last time I took the chance and stayed online during a thunder storm. Lighting cam outta the DSL modem and everything!!! Turned in in on insurance, got a new PC AND COUPLE OF GUNS!!!

Edited by Bean.223

And what operating system do you suggest I run? Windows? That's 'Lol Lol Lol Lol Windows, you epic fail'.

Simply put, DON'T TROLL!

Uh huh...

Yeah actually I do recommend windows, just not vista. I run Vista Ultimate 64 and Xp Pro 64 on separate partitions. Mac is nothing but an overpriced piece of shit. They are kids toys, when they do work you can't do much with them. If your into media then sure why not, everything else Windows is better and if your gonna bitch about viruses get Avast it's free. Macs are awefully expensive for kids computers, Mac is not an advanced operating system. This is how things work it's either simple and ineffective or effective and incredibly complicated. You can deny it all you want, but that's how the world works. Computers are no different. MACs a simple operating system it's fit for simple tasks, Windows is a more advanced OS fit for more advanced tasks. Also you have to replace MACs quite a bit more often then A normal PC. Which gets pretty damn expensive after awhile. Anyways i didn't come here to argue a MAC vs PC witha bunch of gun fans, even though I did. I came here to tell you Alienware changed their case to something completely retards, I don't really care or need computer advice from any of you.

Didn't realize dell was so hated.. I've always loved mine, and I tend to recomend them to my friends, we've all been satisfied... and the one time mine finaly died after severe abuse and many drops, they got it picked up, repaired, and back to me withing 4 days.. I was amazed.

But then I don't build my own computers.. I guess Dells are just good for simpletons (my friends with HP and Lenovo computers for the same price as my dell have some terrible computers).

Funny story though, friend of mine's battery exploded back during he recall and they said he could have any computer he could make on their website... the thing is an absolute beast..

Yeah actually I do recommend windows, just not vista. I run Vista Ultimate 64 and Xp Pro 64 on separate partitions. Mac is nothing but an overpriced piece of shit. They are kids toys, when they do work you can't do much with them. If your into media then sure why not, everything else Windows is better and if your gonna bitch about viruses get Avast it's free. Macs are awefully expensive for kids computers, Mac is not an advanced operating system. This is how things work it's either simple and ineffective or effective and incredibly complicated. You can deny it all you want, but that's how the world works. Computers are no different. MACs a simple operating system it's fit for simple tasks, Windows is a more advanced OS fit for more advanced tasks. Also you have to replace MACs quite a bit more often then A normal PC. Which gets pretty damn expensive after awhile. Anyways i didn't come here to argue a MAC vs PC witha bunch of gun fans, even though I did. I came here to tell you Alienware changed their case to something completely retards, I don't really care or need computer advice from any of you.

I would run OSX over Vista and especially XP 64-bit any day of the week. This coupled with calling Mac an OS shows me that you think you know what you're talking about but in reality you graduated from ITT(lol I'm trolling, now what).

XP X64 was an afterthought on MS part and horribly developed, same with Vista. It's nice to see they got their act back together with Win7.

Calling Windows a more advanced OS over OSX is lulz. Less locked down? Yes. But they're both just as powerful in their own respects. If DirectX didn't control the gaming market over OpenGL you would be singing a different tune as OSX and Linux platforms would be far superior. OSX is no more powerful than any current Windows platform and no more powerful than any Linux platform. Gaming aside, I can do everything that I can do in a Windows environment in a Linux and OSX environment.

Macs are basically BSD machines. If you are in development or engineering, they are great.

I only own a Mac laptop and my G4 Mac mini. Laptops are usually not upgraded anyways, aside from RAM, and HDD. Nothing about the Macbook is any more proprietary than your average laptop. Hell, even the prices are coming down a lot now. I bought mine brand new for two years ago for $1000 and it has never failed me.

In my case, where I can get a laptop or desktop from work, they only want the O/S supplied by the manufacturer installed. I would much rather deal with a unix system on the Mac than try to deal with Windows.

And for security, it all comes down to the system admin. Windows can be very secure if you lock it down correctly. I just choose to avoid it because I use the hell out of the basic unix tools on a regular basis and, well, cygwin is crap.

I would run OSX over Vista and especially XP 64-bit any day of the week. This coupled with calling Mac an OS shows me that you think you know what you're talking about but in reality you graduated from ITT(lol I'm trolling, now what).

XP X64 was an afterthought on MS part and horribly developed, same with Vista. It's nice to see they got their act back together with Win7.

Calling Windows a more advanced OS over OSX is lulz. Less locked down? Yes. But they're both just as powerful in their own respects. If DirectX didn't control the gaming market over OpenGL you would be singing a different tune as OSX and Linux platforms would be far superior. OSX is no more powerful than any current Windows platform and no more powerful than any Linux platform. Gaming aside, I can do everything that I can do in a Windows environment in a Linux and OSX environment.

Look it really doesn't matter if Mac is more stable then Windows, A windows based OS can do alot more then a Mac. Infact let's be serious here and compare a Mac to something it more closely related to. A Nintendo Wii... Lets start with gaming. Both the Wii and the Mac have a small library of good games, in the Macs cases a small library of games period. Both the Mac and the Wii lack many of the features of their competitors. Both Apple and Nintendo use gimmicks to sell the Mac and the Wii that in the end turn out to be worthless. Both Mac and Wii have interfaces that feel like they were thrown together in about 5 minutes. Anyways there's more but I'll just get to the point. There are two big difference between these two items, and the first being the price difference a Wii will run you about $199.99 USD a cheap mac will run you $1299.99, and the second difference is the wii outsells all of its competitors and the Mac does not. As far as the OS goes I like Linux more then Mac.

As far as being used in engineering, what would this person be engineering? I don't see them at any of them machine shops i've been in, none of the people I work with have them. I've been in the shops several times with multiple contractors and i've never seen any of them with Macs. None of the CNCs i've seen use them. Don't take me for granted I work in places like Nucor Yamato, as big as that place is there isn't as much as one Mac in that entire facility. Yeah the only places I really ever see Macs are in Media, that's a more suited task for a Mac. I need a computer that will complete all the tasks I need and a Mac is not up to it. For that reason a Mac is completely useless to me.

Why attack someone for using a different operating system right after saying 'no trolling' in your original post? I don't care what you run and just from this post alone I can tell you have limited to no experience in anything other than Windows. I'm glad you could make an educated guess :rolleyes: . We also weren't giving you any computer advise, the discussion changed to something else. Grow up.

• Like 1

Wow... I don't think you meant to respond to my post as what you responded with has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted and everything to do with Zens...

Part of it was for you, the second part was response to Zen but I was to lazy to Multi quote it.

Why attack someone for using a different operating system right after saying 'no trolling' in your original post? I don't care what you run and just from this post alone I can tell you have limited to no experience in anything other than Windows. I'm glad you could make an educated guess :rolleyes: . We also weren't giving you any computer advise, the discussion changed to something else. Grow up.

Sorry I forgot to warn you, i'll add it to my Signature if you like. When someone mentions an Apple product I got berserk. I have a deep hatred of Apple and all of it's products. The majority of my experience is with Windows, second comes Macintosh which back in high school I was unfortunately forced to use for most of my high school years until they replaced them with PCs. I've played around with Linux a bit, haven't really done to much with it though. Didn't seem to bad, but i'm sure it has some of the same faults that Mac has. Anyways my view of Mac is that it's a toy with no practical use. Media and Entertainment do nothing for us other then cost the American tax payer money and bare no long lasting nor life changing results. My point is this, if Mac went away the world would survive. If Windows up and disapeared right now we would be in a boat full of crap. Same with all Mac products, and I don't like paying $1299 for something that won't get me the results I need. Sure if your into Media, and Microsoft released a couple of their Office programs so on that level they aren't so different. Now onto gaming, the only reason you should pay over 1k for a computer is for gaming and most people don't spend that on a gaming machine. You build it yourself you can pretty much load out your machine to the brim for about 1k. There's no point in spending that kind of money if all your using you PC is for day to day computing, and a litle bit of media editing. If you really have to have the OS that badly pirate it that's all I can tell you.

Edited by dbmccart

Used to love Alienware pre-Dell. I heard they don't even use AMD anymore. Build your own is the best way to go. Few years ago I got my wife a Compaq Presario sr1820nx and I got a sr1850nx. Put 4 gigs of ram, AMD 4000+ cpu, 1 gig gpu, and Linux Mint 64 o.s. in both. No where near the price of an Alienware and will hold up for a long time. Going to put AMD 4800+ x2 cpu's in eventually.

The product that Microsoft sells and calls an operating system is lame at best. Microsoft can't produce an OS capable for running mission critical applications like for the Mars lander or Beowulf clusters for processing of 2D, 3D & 4D seismic data that the majority of major oil companies use. Linux or a Unix based operating system (Sun OS) are required for this. Steve Baumler knows it and understands it well: http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18821093;jsessionid=DYR2ST3NV5OX3QE1GHPSKHWATMY32JVN

If one only requires a system to write a few documents and play a few games, Microsoft may be your ticket but it requires a lot of overhead to maintain. If you are seeking a more stable experience I would recommend either Linux or OSX. Schools run OSX (FreeBSD) because it is stable and doesn't require a certified army to maintain (Thanks Bill Joy!). So the next time you cruise the Internet or purchase that inexpensive router (Linux) or GPS device (Linux) from your local computer store thank the open source Linux community. I've been at this for a few years (learning to pin jump boards on an IBM 1401 at 5yrs old) and I'm not simply basing my response on what feels good at the moment. Oh the last time I checked, the majority of the servers on the Internet are running some sort of version of a Linux / Unix OS.

Good luck,

:)

Yakdung

• Like 1

The product that Microsoft sells and calls an operating system is lame at best.

If windows is lame, I don't want to know what you think of other operating systems, as I have fragile ears.

Q1: Does it do everything?

A: Yes.

Q2: Can no other system do what it does for personal computing?

A: Yes, very fucking yes. You cannot use any other OS.

Q3: Is changing OS back to windows anytime you need to do anything at all super duper fun?

A: No.