You all know what you carry with you everywhere... Right?

I don't plan on using my cellphone to prep illegal activity, but I still don't want someone listening on the other end. They can only listen with a warrant right?

Hahahahahaha!

You're joking right?

Yeah- the Fourth Amendment exists. Just like the "terrorists" brought down building 7.

Thanks for the comedy.

So basically if I have not been in contact with someone under investigation, Im ok? Still I don't like the idea of people being able to listen into your conversations if someone your talking to has talked to someone who talked to someone who talked to someone under investigation.... Doesn't sit well with me. Bush pushed through so many laws that put the crash on my civil liberties that my head is spinning. Fucking cops and feds that use these laws should be ashamed. :ph34r:

So basically if I have not been in contact with someone under investigation, Im ok? Still I don't like the idea of people being able to listen into your conversations if someone your talking to has talked to someone who talked to someone who talked to someone under investigation.... Doesn't sit well with me. Bush pushed through so many laws that put the crash on my civil liberties that my head is spinning. Fucking cops and feds that use these laws should be ashamed. :ph34r:

In a nutshell, this is why I laugh in the face of any "lib" who gives me the old "Where were you when King George was trampling our liberty?" line. I know, and have since the 9/11 wool and the "patriot" act was pulled over our collective eyes.

Yeah- it doesn't matter who you talk to, it matters what words or phrases you use online or on the phone. The "old" program was called Echelon, I haven't talked to any Ft. Meade type folks in a while.

Just assume that Big Brother is watching and listening, regardless.

Don't worry, you are a gun owner and an active member of a firearms forum. You were already on the "list".

Some day, people will draw a line in the sand and say "no more". Until then, we endure.

Oh, and don't worry- the Feds and cops aren't in the least bit ashamed. They're "doing their job", kinda like the Waffen SS- and it is, after all, in the interest of "national security".

To me the phrase national security means keeping our borders safe, but I digress.

Have fun with your new found knowledge!

Just remember- there IS a difference between "legal" and "lawful". These warrantless wiretaps and general eavedropping are "legal".

Hope that puts things in place for ya.

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

The electronic communications are being treated as property of the telcom company, so no, they dont need a warrant, they just ask the telcom company, though the telcom company is violating its agreement with you, as well as your right and expectations of privacy. You could sue them, but the last FISA bill gave them retroactive and near total immunity for all the Telcoms cooperating with the government. (BIPARTISAN BILL)

As far is it being necessary for you to be involved with someone in an investigation to have your conversations recorded, that might make it more likely that someone is listened, but not that your conversations are intercepted.

I remember a magazine interview (either vanity fair or time, im thinking) with the AT&T whistleblower who was responsible for part of the Warrantless Wiretap story being brought to the publics attention. He was talking about the NSA "room" they had built in a central building where he was a tech. the room was on ATT property, but no ATT personnel were allowed to go in, but they did have to run data and voice lines into the room so they could be sent off through the government networks. he was one of the techs responsible for running those lines to the room. The reporter then asks him, "these are the lines that are carrying peoples private conversations, right?" tech replies "yeah." "So how many of these lines did you run, how many conversations are we talking about?" "I dont think you understood what I meant, we connected them to ALL of them."

all cell calls are monitored by speech recognition software, in a happy little place, like described above, and when certain words trigger the system, that call and person is then flagged automatically for observation and review. the patriot act was the main bill that enabled this to be admissible in court as evidence. They always did it. dont kid yourselves

after all the shit I have talked to Tom Cole about on the phone, I am sure when we come up on their alert screen, they probably say "those two are starting to annoy me with how much they pop up on this system".

look up "echelon". oh, it exists, and has existed for a LOOOONG time now.

me, personally? if that's what they have to do to "protect" me, and cant even protect me from the people up the street, and I have to do it myself, well, they can have fun to their little heart's content, for all I care. They KNOW whos side I am on, and I have nothing to hide.

I used to have a really old list of some of the trigger words on an old hard drive that I have since destroyed and tossed in the can. I think kevin mitnick was the original one that got ahold of it, back in the day. hell, I used to have a copy of the virus "superman" wrote that took IBM OUT FOR THE COUNT back in the 80's.....3 times.....which I later sold the 1meg HDD to a well known anti-virus company years later (i found out mine was the only known copy of it in existance) and even warned them NOT to plug the thing into ANY network they wanted to keep running. well, they didnt listen and yehp, I got a call from the VP's assistant in panic mode asking me how the hell to stop it. They didnt like it when I told them to unplug the network before it spread further, and to ERASE every BIOS chip and every damn media it may have touched.

my point is, people, this is the digital age. NOTHING is private, and NOTHING is secure, and I have seen it with my own two eyes.I have had my hands in computers and IT and all of that fine and dandy stress inducing b.s. for, jeese, it will be 30 years next year. damn, I suddenly feel old and poor. I had the means and the opportunity to become a billionare by the age of 21, and I chose to grow a mohawk and party instead. who woulda known.....

On most phones there is a "security" setting in the "Phone settings" section of the settings section. this is the area where one could set a password if you can.

True.

Eavesdropping Software however is designed to circumvent this.

Show me. You can not enter software into a Smart phone without control of the keypad.

Best bet is to remove the battery during sensitive times if you suspect anything.

A paranoid waste of time. There is no technical basis for this.

On most phones there is a "security" setting in the "Phone settings" section of the settings section. this is the area where one could set a password if you can.

True.

I know.

Eavesdropping Software however is designed to circumvent this.

Show me. You can not enter software into a Smart phone without control of the keypad.

I am not talking about a civilian circumventing the password on initial software download, I am talking about once the software is installed, the software being to turn on the mic, camera & triangulate the location weather or not the phone is seemingly turned off or not. Let alone the keypad being locked.

The person most likely, aside from law enforcement, (who don't even need physical access to your phone) who would usually feel motivated to monitor a person, would usually be in a trusted position in the person to be monitored's life.

Kind of like your girl, ex girl, friend, neighbor who asked to borrow your phone, or your boss who can do it before issuing you your phone.

Best bet is to remove the battery during sensitive times if you suspect anything.

A paranoid waste of time. There is no technical basis for this.

In order to transmit, your phone needs electricity.

Without the battery installed, the small lithium ion battery that backs up the data on your phone can not support eavesdropping applications.

Transmitting would also cause your phone to get warm, like when you talk on it. Your battery also is run down faster because of transmission activity.

I understand that some software can program bulk, intermittent downloads of your info, but for live eavesdropping capabilities, the phone's battery is required.

That is the technical basis for this.

Story is inaccurate. They can power your phone up remotely (some phones, not all models, other restrictions apply, etc. etc).

Even if the eavesdropping is legal, they are still committing the crime of theft of power :P

Any cellphone that is turned on is constantly "handshaking" with cell towers to allow it to be located for incoming calls. If it is on, YOU ARE LOCATABLE!

If your cell has GPS and it is a company phone the boss knows EXACTLY where YOU are. We have some of the larger companies in our trade insisting the phone be left on 24/7, and they have fired people for not being where the boss wanted them to be. One foreman on a construction job received a call from the boss asking why he left the job site. He told him " Because the shitter is across the street, and if you want the 'phone it will be in there, I quit." The local found him a new job the same day.It is now SOP to leave the phone in the trim box when not on the job site,or in the tool box if you are on a service truck.

To disable any tracking function on a cell phone, just but the damn phone in a metal cookie can. Both can and lid must be metal, and the lid must fit tightly. This will cut off all signal, both in or out.(Poor man's Farraday cage).

Why get paranoid now, if you have a land line you can be monitored very easily, I used to make the a little circuit board and attach them to 'phones in the late 60's when I was taking electronics in High School. This would delay the ring by 2 seconds, and make the connection when I pushed a 5.(Pulse or tone versions!) Then I could listen to any conversation in the same room with a phone and the victem never knew it happened1

The moral is that if for some reason you are important enough, or a big enough irritant to someone to invest a couple hundred $$ and a couple hours - You can be EASILY be tapped/tracked/bugged or whatever else they would like to do. There are 6.6 Billion people on this little ball of mud, the best way to keep your privacy is to stay off the radar and hide in plain sight among the masses.

Edited by G O B