Okay, uhh...wtf, over?!

Good day all. Quick observation/question/thing

I converted my S12 a few months back, had to do all the drilling etc, came out fine.

Today I'm converting my 223. I googled "Saiga 223 conversion" for a refresher, and then I noticed my rifle is different than all the others I found. I don't have separate pins for my conversion. The trigger and hammer are already on the pins they need to be on, so drilling wasn't optional. Instead, I realized that I could just pop out the springs and punch the pins out, with NO DRILLING!!!

I didn't know there was any difference between mine and others (other than mine having a longer barrel). I'm just curious, what's the deal? Do I have a factory reject, prototype, or what the hell?

Oh, and for those I confused with my rambling, I'm posting pictures.

gabeandbraden018.jpg?t=1253978773

gabeandbraden019.jpg?t=1253979036

I already had the pins punched and ready to be drilled. Luckily I noticed something was different than on the S12, so I stopped and used my brain a little bit.

Edited by kamauxx

What the heck?? How were the stock trigger and hammer held in place? I am lost with that one...

The hammer was held on by the pin by the mag release. The trigger was on the other, but was kinda stretched (should have taken a pic). The trigger has like 3" to it inside the receiver. I also discovered 2 extra spot welds that weren't on my S12 conversion, located on the trigger guard plate.

This thing musta been made by some night crew that ran out of parts or something. BUT, it made for an easier dissasembly though.

I'm assuming the barrel trunnion is right before the serial number? If so, it's a triangle with an arrow pointing up. Don't know if that's Arsenal's mark or not.

No, you misunderstand.

The commies stamped their rifles and magazines with the emblem of the factory in which they were made.

These are called "arsenal marks".

This is the arsenal mark on the bottom of a Russian SVD rifle:

1985.jpg

It shows this Dragunov was manufactured in 1984 at the Izhmash factory.

"Arsenal marks" have nothing to do with Arsenal, Inc or Arsenal of Bulgaria.

lol, yea, but does it mean anything?

*edit. One thing I notice is the disconnector spring is bigger in diameter and more stiff than the one on my S12. It wouldn't fit the tapco trigger assembly so I've been filing for about 45 minutes!

Edited by kamauxx

lol, yea, but does it mean anything?

*edit. One thing I notice is the disconnector spring is bigger in diameter and more stiff than the one on my S12. It wouldn't fit the tapco trigger assembly so I've been filing for about 45 minutes!

I advise you not to do that.

Messing with spring rates in the FCG will not lead to happy days.