Good first hand gun for CCW?

I'm looking to buy my first pistol soon( Funny how being 21 suddenly makes you responsibly enough to have a pistol. Uncle Sam has been paying me to carry machine guns of all types for a few years now but apperently I'm just now responsible enough to carry a handgun on my own time. Got to love government logic :haha: )I'm mostly looking for a good CCW pistol. I'm 6'2" 190 pounds and have big hands. I think a Grizzly LAR 50A&E is a comfortable pistol to hold and fire but obviously something that big isn't an option of CCW :devil: Been looking at a 1911 or polyerframe 45 like the glock 21 or XD. I live in NC so capacity restrictions and things like that aren't a problem.

My goal is to stay under $1000 for pistol, spare mags, holster and such. I prefer to get a barebones, no frills, very relieable pistol that won't break the bank to buy and practice with.

I'd like to hear what other people are carrying and the reason why they choose that.

Edited by Rusty truck
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so much big as just tall and lanky. I'd like to stay away from compact pistols becasue most I've picked up feel really little in my hand.

How much did your 50 GI set up cost all together? 50 GI looks like a heck of a round, especially the Hollow Points. How easy was it to chage over the Glock 20/21 to 50 GI?

Thanks vooman I'll spend some time looking into the 50GI now. How did you like your Glock before changing it over to 50GI? My two top choices right now are a Glock 21 or a barebones 1911 (maybe a double stack frame if the $ is right). If it's easy to switch a Glock over I might get that and then save up for the 50GI conversion.

For big hands, I would keep my eyes open for a double stack 1911. My buddy has a Springfield double stack I believe, and that thing is awesome. My first hand gun was a Ruger P90. That thing was very accurate and reliable, and not too expensive. Most people said it was too big for there hands, but it fit mine perfect. What ever you choose, I would suggest putting the gun in your hand and if possible shooting one before buying. The most important thing is to make sure it feels comfortable in your hand.

Hi Rusty

I love glock pistol....They are reliable and they work when you need them to.I purposely bought the 21sf just to have the 50gi conversion.The conversion takes about 6 seconds to do...Just take off your standard Glock 21sf or 20sf slide..and put the 50gi slide on..The kit is a little pricey at $600 making your total gun cost around $1100 or so and it will come with 1 custom mag by Guncrafter Industries.. The 50Gi round feels almost identical to a .45+P round..If you can control a .45 you will have absolutely no problem controlling the 50gi..As you can see from my previous review ..it can make one hell of a huge hole when shot through some wet phone books..If you dont care to shoot the hollow points to often you can use the regular ball ammo to practice with..Also what i like the best is if you wanna switch at anytime to your .45 all you have to do is swap out the slide and the mag which shouldnt take you but a few seconds..The other unique thing is that i just found out that the KRISS glock 21sf mag extensions will work on the .50GI mags which will allow you to have 20rounds or so as a back up mag just in case you get into a gun fight and require more ammo if needed.. here is the link to KRISS http://www.kriss-tdi.com/kriss-store.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl1&product_id=6&category_id=12&vmcchk=1 ...Also here is a you tube video of a guy demonstrating the KRISS Mags made by MAGPUL industries for TDI

...Hope this helps on your decision..

I'm not so much big as just tall and lanky. I'd like to stay away from compact pistols becasue most I've picked up feel really little in my hand.

How much did your 50 GI set up cost all together? 50 GI looks like a heck of a round, especially the Hollow Points. How easy was it to chage over the Glock 20/21 to 50 GI?

Thanks vooman I'll spend some time looking into the 50GI now. How did you like your Glock before changing it over to 50GI? My two top choices right now are a Glock 21 or a barebones 1911 (maybe a double stack frame if the $ is right). If it's easy to switch a Glock over I might get that and then save up for the 50GI conversion.

Edited by voonman

Go to a range and rent or borrow as many handguns as you can. Shoot everything. Then make up your mind. For a first gun you should pick something you can afford to shoot a lot. Would not recommend specialty ammo like the .50 GI. Stick to 9mm, .40 or .45 in an auto, or if you pick a revolver go for .38sp+P, .357, or .44.

+1 for Voonman's Glock suggestion. They are very reliable guns, but make sure the ergonomics work right for you.

As for .380's, I'd stay away because of the severe ammo shortage. You need a gun that you can train with, and that means shooting it a lot. Not gonna happen with .380 these days.

BobAsh has an excellent point about single stack pistols. Width makes a difference. When I carry a double stack 9mm I have to be careful with what I wear to keep it concealed. Thinner guns hide better.

My regular CCW piece is a Steyr M9-A1. If spares ever dry up for Steyr, I plan to transition to a Glock 19.

Here you sound like a big guy..this should be enough stopping power for you...here is my review on it http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45045 .If this doesnt work for you try a Glock 20 10mm or 29 compact...

post-16872-12541512364947_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12541512108224.jpg

The more I look at this, the more I want to go get one... but it'll have to wait until after I get a .45-70 Marlin 1895GS

I still have a little bit of time before I can even buy because I'm deployed :cryss: so I'm trying to do as much research as possible now. The glock 21 and then buying a 50 GI kit later on might be an option for. I really like 45acp, think it's just as easy to shoot as anything else out there. Been look at 1911's but only having 8 rounds is a turn off to me. My only real experiance with 1911s so far is a freinds Grizzly 50AE and I really liked it :lolol::lolol: Any recomendation for a double stack 1911 that won't be too expensive? Been looking at a glocks too. I've shot the glock 17 several times and really liked that.

Thanks for the all the info so far. I don't have much handgun experince. I've been shooting M4/M16/AR-15, semi auto AK clones, my 870 and my Saiga-12 more then anything else since I started getting into shooting. Now that I'm finally 21 I'd like to get into handguns.

Go to a range and rent or borrow as many handguns as you can. Shoot everything. Then make up your mind. For a first gun you should pick something you can afford to shoot a lot. Would not recommend specialty ammo like the .50 GI. Stick to 9mm, .40 or .45 in an auto, or if you pick a revolver go for .38sp+P, .357, or .44.

+1 for Voonman's Glock suggestion. They are very reliable guns, but make sure the ergonomics work right for you.

As for .380's, I'd stay away because of the severe ammo shortage. You need a gun that you can train with, and that means shooting it a lot. Not gonna happen with .380 these days.

BobAsh has an excellent point about single stack pistols. Width makes a difference. When I carry a double stack 9mm I have to be careful with what I wear to keep it concealed. Thinner guns hide better.

My regular CCW piece is a Steyr M9-A1. If spares ever dry up for Steyr, I plan to transition to a Glock 19.

Yeah, there are lots of guns that I like to shoot (automags fr'instance) but really only one style that I like to carry.

But I carry all day erry day, so whatever works for you is also good.

9mm or 45acp are my top caliber choices just because of how common they are. A Glock 19 seem to fit in my hand alight. Found this article. I cringed while I read all the things this guy did to his Glock.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Bob you mentioned a single stack 9mm as you're prefered style. Any models you would recommend?

Think a single stack 1911 be thin ehough?

The high cap mags for the glock 21 could be cool. Not sure where to stash them. I don't plan on getting in any extended fire fights on the way to the store or church sunday mornings :lolol:

If you plan to shoot a lot I would go with a 9mm. I don't know about where you are at, but in CNY I can get a 100 round box of 9mm Winchester white box for $20 at Wally world. With the 9mm going shooting does not have to break the bank.

RalphXL

I'm 6'5 (large hands) and mine is the taurus millenium pro .40 cal. The .40 cal is just a round I've always liked and the taurus was suggested to me instead of a paying more for a glock.. I checked a few forums and the like, and it seemed to me like the taurus was a cheaper and often preferred version of it's glock counterpart and easily as reliable..

Not saying it's better, but some people prefer it, and I personally love mine, nice little gun.. Never had any FTE or FTF on even some of the cheaper ammo I've fed through it.

All comes down to preference I guess, but I'd throw it in there for consideration.

Edited by volkov

...you mentioned a single stack 9mm as you're prefered style. Any models you would recommend?

I'm not speaking for Bob, but I have a S&W 39-2. It is flat. The 3913 is also another good model. The 39-2 is the gun that best fits my hand out of all my handguns. My problem with it is the double action trigger on the first shot. I'm all over the place with that first pull and to me that's no good. I've since gone over to single action handguns with the exception of my Kel-Tec P3AT.

I also have a double-stack polymer framed .45. It's a Charles Daly DDA-1045, which is very similar to the EAA polymer Witness pistol. Mine is manufactured by BUL of Israel and imported by Charles Daly. They also import the BUL M-5 which is a polymer 1911 style pistol that holds 10+1 rounds. I've never owned one but if it's anything like my DDA it's a good gun. The Daly m-5 ultra x looks like a neat little .45. One of these days I might pick one up.

Bob you mentioned a single stack 9mm as you're prefered style. Any models you would recommend? Think a single stack 1911 be thin enough?

The 3913/3914, which the Gunny mentioned is an excellent choice. SIG P-6 is a favorite.

the 1911 frame is too big for me personally for all day carry, but some guys do.

The right holster makes all the difference, don't scrimp there.

FN FNP-45 (preferrably a USG if you're gonna carry it.

Glock 19/23 with hogue grips or a crimson trace for the slightly beefier grip.

Both of those have a good fit in the hand for a decent price to leave you room for your holster, mags and ammo to get acclimated with them.

SIG 22x pistols are also amazing. 220, 226, 229 all great, but will probably push you over your budget.

I personally use the glock and FN

Good point on the holster. Thanks Bob. What type of holsters is every one using and where do you put it? Shoulder rig is pretty pointless for me except maybe in the winter when I might have a coat on. I tend to were T-shirts or long sleeve shirts went it starts getting cool. It's pretty rare to need anthing other them a thin jacket to stay warm during the winter in NC.

I've been cosidering a 9mm just because of how cheep it is. Might stick with 9mm pistol since I already have a 9mm carbine.

Looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time at the local gun shops trying different things till I find something I really like.

Any near or know some one near the Fort Bragg area that I could go out to the range with? I have very little in the way of formal pistol training.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Edited by Rusty truck

Wearing a in waist band holster be easiest to conceal regardless of what I'm wearing? I'd like to be able use one holster all the timee. What type of holster works well when you have a shirt tucked in but no jacket on?

How many extra magazines do most people carry? How do you carry them? Just sticking a mag in my pocket seems pointless since I have keys, phones, etc... in my pockets already and I don't want to be fumbling for my spares if I need them.

Edited by Rusty truck
Any one carry higher capasilty mags as spares and put a short one in the pistol so it's easier to hide?

Yep that's a very common thing to do with compact pistols.

In the gun: the largest capacity mag that does not extend beyond the bottom of the grip, plus one or two spare full capacity mags. Rarely I will wear an OWB double mag carrier. When I use a mag carrier it goes on my weak side, baseplates facing up, bullets facing forward. Usually I just carry a spare in my pocket, though.

Edited by aresv

Aresv is correct on affordability and making sure that the guns ergonomics is right for you..But if you decide to go with a Glock21 or 20 full size frame and you decide to buy the 50gi conversion kit..you should take this in consideration...The 50gi ammo is not mainstream like your other calibers such as .40..9mm..45 etc, the availability of the 50gi ammunition i find is much easier and more accessible to get since the big ammo rush that has happened recently in this past yr and this is because not every average person carries a 50gi so there is no ammo rush or shortage ..which is a very good thing for those who own this type of gun..in my town where i live it is harder to find your mainstream ammo like your common 9mm .45 and .380 in walmart or Academy and even Gander mountain.. Usualy i would have to wait every once a month for my local gunshow where i can find them at sometimes at a high price depending on the vendor,then i try to buy in bulk to save a little more..Also as i have stated before if you choose to take a break from the 50gi and just handle the .45cal it will take merely seconds to do a swapping of the slide and mag...So you have the best of both worlds..

Wearing a in waist band holster be easiest to conceal regardless of what I'm wearing? I'd like to be able use one holster all the timee. What type of holster works well when you have a shirt tucked in but no jacket on?

How many extra magazines do most people carry? How do you carry them? Just sticking a mag in my pocket seems pointless since I have keys, phones, etc... in my pockets already and I don't want to be fumbling for my spares if I need them.

There are some tuckable holsters, but I've never seen anything that I would carry. How are you gonna get that gun out?

I don't carry extra mags on my person.

Also, that 50 GLOCK is a novelty item. Don't consider carrying it.

Edited by BobAsh

Any thing bigger the 45 seems like a range toy to me (but I do love a good range toy). I'd preferr to stick with a common caliber I can buy, scrounge, beg, borrow or kick over bodies to find more ammo if I need to. Around Fort Bragg there's more places to buy ammo then I can cout so availibilty isn't a big concern

Only time I'd every carry with a shirt tucked in are sudays when I'll be at church with a shirt and tie on, rest of the time I have a shirt untucked. I've been trying to figure out how I'd draw with a shirt tucked in. Maybe worth looking into a pocket pistol for occations like that?

Vooman you seem pretty in love with 50GI :wub: Glad you found something you really like.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to the states so I can start actually doing some shopping around and spend some time test firing.

I've got a lot more to learn about CCW apperently.

Thanks for the good information so far. Got me thinking a lot more about what and how to carry.

Any one know of a good place in north or south carolina take a good 2-3 day handgun class. Like to get some more training other then what what the army has taught me and the NC required class for getting your permit to carry.

Edited by Rusty truck

I've been trying to figure out how I'd draw with a shirt tucked in. Maybe worth looking into a pocket pistol for occations like that?

I have a nice P3AT (a gift from a dear friend) for just such occasion. Also good for the summertime. It's no bigger than a wallet and with a laser, it's damn near the same shape as one.