Inside the Apocalyptic Soviet Doomsday Machine

Information supplied by Valery Yarynich, 72-year-old former Soviet colonel. A 30-year veteran of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces and Soviet General Staff, Valery Yarynich helped build Russia's doomsday machine.The technical name was Perimeter, but some called it Mertvaya Ruka, or Dead Hand. It was built 25 years ago. The point of the system, he explains, was to guarantee an automatic Soviet response to an American nuclear strike. Even if the US crippled the USSR with a surprise attack, the Soviets could still hit back. It wouldn't matter if the US blew up the Kremlin, took out the defense ministry, severed the communications network, and killed everyone with stars on their shoulders. Ground-based sensors would detect that a devastating blow had been struck and a counterattack would be launched. Full article found here: http://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/17-10/mf_deadhand

Edited by wayneb
  • Like 1

Information supplied by Valery Yarynich, 72-year-old former Soviet colonel. A 30-year veteran of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces and Soviet General Staff, Valery Yarynich helped build Russia's doomsday machine.The technical name was Perimeter, but some called it Mertvaya Ruka, or Dead Hand. It was built 25 years ago. The point of the system, he explains, was to guarantee an automatic Soviet response to an American nuclear strike. Even if the US crippled the USSR with a surprise attack, the Soviets could still hit back. It wouldn't matter if the US blew up the Kremlin, took out the defense ministry, severed the communications network, and killed everyone with stars on their shoulders. Ground-based sensors would detect that a devastating blow had been struck and a counterattack would be launched. Full article found here: http://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/17-10/mf_deadhand

Great! This means anytime someone decides to lob a nuclear missile at the Kremlin, the system is pointed back at us. This means we not only need to defend western Europe and our allies in the east, but Mother Russia as well.

What a strange world we have come to live in.

WS

Information supplied by Valery Yarynich, 72-year-old former Soviet colonel. A 30-year veteran of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces and Soviet General Staff, Valery Yarynich helped build Russia's doomsday machine.The technical name was Perimeter, but some called it Mertvaya Ruka, or Dead Hand. It was built 25 years ago. The point of the system, he explains, was to guarantee an automatic Soviet response to an American nuclear strike. Even if the US crippled the USSR with a surprise attack, the Soviets could still hit back. It wouldn't matter if the US blew up the Kremlin, took out the defense ministry, severed the communications network, and killed everyone with stars on their shoulders. Ground-based sensors would detect that a devastating blow had been struck and a counterattack would be launched. Full article found here: http://www.wired.com...-10/mf_deadhand

Great! This means anytime someone decides to lob a nuclear missile at the Kremlin, the system is pointed back at us. This means we not only need to defend western Europe and our allies in the east, but Mother Russia as well.

What a strange world we have come to live in.

WS

How about if Iran just lobs one into Russia so we are the recipients of the counterattack? That would work for the jihad jerkoff.

Cool.

We have a bunch of Boomers (SSBN) that carry enough firepower to kill every person in Asia & Europe...

Bring it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uwE9MCfzMI

Surprise!!

That is not one of ours, unless you mean "ours" as in NATO. That is a British sub.

And they have the successors to the Typhoon class now... "they" being the Russian Federation.

Hate to break it to ya, but no one wins a nuclear war. :)

Except that the Russians are no longer communist. :D

I am kinda curious about the new subs, they will be Russia's first nuke subs and one is undergoing sea trials now. Kinda sad to see the Typhoon go though, that thing was a beast.

Now China... that is who we need to worry about now...

Except that the Russians are no longer communist. :D

I am kinda curious about the new subs, they will be Russia's first nuke subs and one is undergoing sea trials now. Kinda sad to see the Typhoon go though, that thing was a beast.

The Chinese were the Communist threat in Fallout. :D

The Chinese are a small nuclear threat compared to the Russians. The Chinese have lots of nukes, and very few delivery systems. Most of their missiles are short-range. The Russians have a shitload of nukes and a shitload of delivery systems.

Cool.

We have a bunch of Boomers (SSBN) that carry enough firepower to kill every person in Asia & Europe...

Bring it!

That is not one of ours, unless you mean "ours" as in NATO. That is a British sub.

And they have the successors to the Typhoon class now... "they" being the Russian Federation.

Ok.

Gottcha,

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_LCPGtzpU

But this clip isn't quite as cool without the music. Also I just love the setup of the musical clip... You don't know what to expect. At first, I thought they were surprising people :eek: ... I mean, wouldn't you shit your pants if all of a sudden a sub came up Zombie style out of the hard surface right next to you? :eek::lolol:

It was a joint military exercise between the US & UK. We were both there.

If you wanted to throughly correct me though you should have mentioned that these were fast attacks, either sea wolf or Virginia class, (SSN)... Not Ohio class Boomers (SSBN)

But the concept remains the same.

If you ever want to see something cool, go to Bangor & look at an Ohio class in dry dock. I have been there & on them, It's AWESOME!

Kinda sad to see the Typhoon go though, that thing was a beast.

Fuck the Typhoon. :booo:

The typhoon was so huge that all they ever did was sit under the polar ice caps. It is too big to navigate most but the deepest waters... Bigger isn't always better... Even the Ruskys figured that out.

Our Ohio Class has 24 silos, each Trident Ballistic Missile carries 8 warheads that separate & can take out around 100 cities apiece. In my math, that means 1 Ohio class can take out approximately 2400 cities from 4000 miles away. A nuclear bomb is about the size of a thermos in case you are unaware.

The new thing is packing an Ohio class with 154 conventional tomahawk cruise missiles. This makes battle ships look like BB guns in comparison.

The coolest new surface ship that we have though is The LCS, it's about the size of a destroyer & can travel about 70 miles per hour according to rumor. The actual top speed is classified of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98yrPKxmig

Pirates are screwed. :chris:

Pardon the trademark Paulyski theological debate that popped up unexpectedly in the comments section. I didn't want to go there in this vid. But I couldn't resist. I tried to get the guy to move it elsewhere, but he persisted.

post-19652-12542027102161_thumb.jpg

Marines are fucking HARDCORE, Army takes & holds control of nations, Air Force clears the way for them & does great recon.

But if you want to completely annihilate a nation, theres only 1 choice... U.S. NAVY!!!

With regards to China...

First thing in the morning, the day that Jose Padilla's arrest was announced (3 days after his arrest) The top story was that Bush changed OUR nuclear first strike policy to include the wording "IN CASE OF A SURPRISING MILITARY DEVELOPMENT"

Roughly translating roughly into: "OH SHITT!!!! Oh well. Fuckit nukem" This controversy was quickly overshadowed by Ashcroft's plan to send Padilla, an american citizen to Gitmo Bay Cuba, A topic that they knew would divert attention from our new first strike policy. So our government was able to sweep the nuke story under the rug.

Another example of our propaganda machine at it's best! :rolleyes:

This time I condone it though. I didn't want a swarm of media coverage attacking our military because they were scared to defend America with all means necessary.

All the more reason why we should either A) Befriend them or B) Not fuck with them.

You don't poke a bear with a stick.

WOAH!!!!

Come on! Befriend them!?

They are positioning themselves as our biggest military threat & you want to roll over? For the love of shit, they just stole most of our technology thorough a spy under Bill Richardson's watch when he was in charge of the department of energy!

Come on Cammon, I thought You had a better understanding of the geopolitical & strategic situation that our world faces.

I am disappointed.