How do you remove these......rivets?

Well My s12 has a bullet button "cage" around the mag release as I live in CA.

But when shooting out of state I would really like to use the s12 without having to use a screwdriver to reach the mag release...though I'm getting used it, its still damn annoying!

Problem is that this "rivet" if in fact that is what it is, is attatched to the bullet button cage and through to the shotgun.

This is what I'm talking about:

Bottom

Dsc01133.jpg

Dsc01134.jpg

Question:

Do I just have to drill through it or is there a trick to remove it?

And if/when I do remove it, does anyone know what type screw to replace it with?

I'm no gunsmith but I do know how to use a drill and dremel, so think this shouldn't be to hard to remove...should it?

Thanks in advance!

You could use your dremmel with a cut off wheel if you can get it in there, be aware that you may have some collateral finish damage with this approach, the other option is to drill it out, much easier with a drill press, but can be done with a hand drill. The drill approach is less likely to cause collateral damage, but you will need a sharp punch to put a good divot in the center of the rivet (I would drill on the flat side for obvious reasons) and just drill on it till it seems like you have the potential of breaking the head from the shaft, then try to knock it out with your punch and a hammer, make sure to support the receiver on both sides to keep from bending anything. You would use a drill bit that is about the side of the shaft of the rivet and not the size of the head.

Good luck, go slow and think things out before you do them, and use cutting oil on the drill and the rivet, you are drilling through steel so you need a good bit and need to go slow.

Really? I stripped my first restoration down to the barrel and receiver, and brought it over to Ace hardware to sort things out. The manager was extremely helpful and dilligent. You did say you own a drill and a Dremel? Am I correct? Do you know the difference between a 1/8" bit,and a 5/32" bit - the difference between a bit and a tap?

What country do you live in my friend, or alternatively what agency do you work for?

There are dozens of threads all over the internet that cover all types of Saiga information. Perhaps you should consult Google, You Tube, or BATFE about how to lawfully restore a gun in your state of residence.

If you are lawfully restoring an S12, good luck to you. All of the information is available to you if you bother to look for it.

If you are fishing on this forum for any other reason - go find yourself another home.

Can't carry it into a hardware store? Who the fuck do you think you're kidding/getting over on?

Run along.

WS

Really? I stripped my first restoration down to the barrel and receiver, and brought it over to Ace hardware to sort things out. The manager was extremely helpful and dilligent. You did say you own a drill and a Dremel? Am I correct? Do you know the difference between a 1/8" bit,and a 5/32" bit - the difference between a bit and a tap?

What country do you live in my friend, or alternatively what agency do you work for?

There are dozens of threads all over the internet that cover all types of Saiga information. Perhaps you should consult Google, You Tube, or BATFE about how to lawfully restore a gun in your state of residence.

If you are lawfully restoring an S12, good luck to you. All of the information is available to you if you bother to look for it.

If you are fishing on this forum for any other reason - go find yourself another home.

Can't carry it into a hardware store? Who the fuck do you think you're kidding/getting over on?

Run along.

WS

WTF!?

Are you even responding to the right thread?

What the hell was that, if you had a piss poor day to F'in bad for you but don't try and take that shit out on me!

Why this thread or question pissed you off so much who the hell knows, but whatever it is gets some meds for it!

You went from "piece of cake...good luck" to whatver the hell that rant was..... seriously, unless you read something I didn't see in this thread, you seem WAY off balance.

No I don't bring guns into the hardware store, stripped or not, not recommended in LA, and I can't imagine in many other places...."what country do I live in ? What agency do I work for?" Are you fucking serious!?

See a doctor.

Glad you found the screw. I forgot to add that you could simply bring the Cali-cover with you and use the screw that fits through that, unless you were thinking that the LAPD planned to raid you while you where at HD. :beer:

Heh! Your absolutely right I didn't even think about bringing that down to size the screw! Doh!