Tight OEM mags from hell!

Anybody having problems with very tight Saiga mags? Got a new IZ109 and the mag that came with it would not lock into the shotgun. Then I tried it in my Tromix S05 and it eventually locked in after a brief struggle. After a little inspection, it's because the metal feed lips are too wide (1.16" as opposed to 1.14" for my other OEM that works fine).

Anybody else have this problem? Russkies on the sauce again?? Recommended fix? I may try to vise them narrower, would rather not remove metal with a dremel and weaken it.

I would check it with a few more mags first. You may find that the magwell is too tight. You don't want to have to modify every mag that you ever own!

Nah, not the magwell, my Tromix has locked up AGP, SF, Taiwanese, MDArms etc.. just fine

I bought 3 new Russian 5 round mags to complement the one that came with the gun. 2 of the 3 fit fine, the third wouldn't lock in place and click. I just inserted it and slapped the base of the mag several times. Finally gave it a really good smack, and it snapped into place. I removed it and repeated the action a number of times. It took persistence, but now fits perfectly.

You may want to try that before removing any material from the offending mag.

I liked the writeup you did on your S12s. :super:

and to the OP, it's totally normal to have to file your mag a little to fit your gun, usually it comes with one prefit mag, and any others you will need to fit on your own.

OK, after looking at the situation a little closer, I finally figured out the real problem. My problematic IZ109 actually has an out of spec "mag well". The front to rear dimension on the well is set by the front cut in the receiver, to the rear mag lug "trunnion" (or block? Not sure of the correct term for this piece). My tromix is 3.25". The problem IZ109 is 3.21". What happens is that with the factory 5 rounders, there is not enough clearance for the lug to clear the channel in the "trunnion" and seat itself flush. It get's stuck in the channel so the mag can't full lock up. With aftermarket and 8 rd mags, this isn't a problem because the rear tab is beveled on top, not a block, so it locks in fine.