RAM Speed Catch mag release

ram2.jpg

RAM Speed Catch

Does anyone have one of these? How difficult was it to install? I'm gaining confidence as I slowly make progress on my conversion, but I don't even know what a "deformable rivet" or an "internally threaded rivet" is, or how one would install them. Also, is this thing AK-rugged? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

USE SEARCH! I just did a cook book post about a month ago showing how to do it. It is easy and awesome!

DSC03751.jpg

I _did_ use search - as I always do before asking such questions - but the search feature leaves something to be desired. Everything with "speed" and "catch" was returned. I'll poke around and search your posts for it.

Thanks.

Jim

USE SEARCH! I just did a cook book post about a month ago showing how to do it. It is easy and awesome!

DSC03751.jpg

off topic... what mag bag is that, and where did you get it? also, is it a 5 or 6 mag bag?

to the OP, would you post the link to that thread in here when/if you find it. thanks.

Does anyone have one of these? How difficult was it to install? I'm gaining confidence as I slowly make progress on my conversion, but I don't even know what a "deformable rivet" or an "internally threaded rivet" is, or how one would install them.

I have one and they take a bit of finagling to get the the rivets through but it's not too bad. The 'deformable' rivet is just the long one that you place the ball bearing on the end of and tap to spread out the ends of it so it stays on. The 'threaded' one is just like a chicago screw (I think that's what they're called), you put the long post through and then screw the screw end into.

Also, is this thing AK-rugged? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's a tough piece of kit. I would be comfortable with it.

DSC03751.jpg

off topic... what mag bag is that, and where did you get it? also, is it a 5 or 6 mag bag?

to the OP, would you post the link to that thread in here when/if you find it. thanks.

It is a Hungarian 5 cell. Love it. Has belt loops on the back, too. Got it for about $20 on Gunbroker.

Best advice thus far (except for buying a Saiga)! Took me about 20 minutes to install. Hardest part for me was getting the spring back in! Have I mentioned how much I love my dremel before? Man, they are the AK's for the power tool world! Thanks again for the tutorial and advice! :)

i have the ram also, but i am going to remove it. i like it, but it is to hard to lock in the bulgies i got recently. I really have to force them to lock in. The surefire fits great with it though. It is on my 223. After I remove it I will re-examine the piece to see if can mod it more. I have already removed some of the face surface and I dont know if it will have enough material left.

Here is my notes thread from when I did mine. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42998

i have the ram also, but i am going to remove it. i like it, but it is to hard to lock in the bulgies i got recently. I really have to force them to lock in. The surefire fits great with it though. It is on my 223. After I remove it I will re-examine the piece to see if can mod it more. I have already removed some of the face surface and I dont know if it will have enough material left.

Here is my notes thread from when I did mine. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42998

I noticed a definite thickness difference in the locking tab on different magazines. Even on a set (~15 mags) of my surplus steel mags, they were not all the same. I just filed on my catch until it locked the thickest one in. Then all of them locked in. The only polymer mag I played with was a TAPCO and it had a thicker tab than the surplus mags. My guess is the TAPCO mag needed more thickness because it is all plastic.

• 2 years later...

Best advice thus far (except for buying a Saiga)! Took me about 20 minutes to install. Hardest part for me was getting the spring back in! Have I mentioned how much I love my dremel before? Man, they are the AK's for the power tool world! Thanks again for the tutorial and advice! smile.gif

Thats the problem i'm having right now. Trying to get the spring back in. I cannot find and videos on it.

I have heard of a trick of using a section of a Q-tip cut just long enough to retain the spring in the lever then slide it into place and slide the rivet through the hole pushing the piece of Q-tip out the other side.

As the Q-tip starts pushing out you can wiggle it with your fingers to line up the rivet with the hole on the other side.

I think I saw the video on CSS's video's in the top right corner of thier home page....

I have heard of a trick of using a section of a Q-tip cut just long enough to retain the spring in the lever then slide it into place and slide the rivet through the hole pushing the piece of Q-tip out the other side.

As the Q-tip starts pushing out you can wiggle it with your fingers to line up the rivet with the hole on the other side.

I think I saw the video on CSS's video's in the top right corner of thier home page....

That is the method i used when i installed one on my S12. I'll have to try it.

For those who have tried these can you report on your experience?

There are three types of reloads I hold precious.

1. lose a mag: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgZDKGOa4g#t=41s
  2. retain the mag slow(think SUPER tight mag fit while doing this): www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3XCMNYMHFM#t=31s
  3. retain the mag less slowely(shameless plug): www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRCTrd6NA#t=11m30s

How do these extensions fair in these scenarios?

I'm running the EMA mag release on one of mine right now. I have a RAM speed catch, but it's not installed on any of my rifles currently.

As far as the first change... it looks like he's releasing the tab with the fresh mag.. it works great with the EMA. That one actually has an extended tab down in the original position as well as giving you the capability to release mags with your index finger. The only downside is it's made of polymer. Mine has seen a lot of use, but not any truly rough use... so I can't tell you that it will be indestructable.

The RAM catch only has your tabs on either side of the trigger guard. Swiping the tab and clearing the mag with the fresh one won't work with that extension, but you can always disengage the relase with your index finger and use your fresh mag to dislodge the spent mag... so, small difference.

The EMA tab like I said is extended further downward, so your other 2 mag changes will be essentialy the same with that extension. You've got the option of using it like a standard mag relase or using your index finger, whichever method becomes second nature. With the RAM, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much difference other than you're using your trigger finger to disengage the release instead of your opposite thumb.

The way I saw it, was that the EMA was cheap enough I could try it out and see how well it worked. I figured, I'm out like $15 if it breaks or sucks. I still like mine 2 years later, but I'm not putting it through hell everyday.

I really wish someone would design a full on metal replacement like the RAM that featured a relase tab at the bottom.

There is another optioin similar to the RAM extension as well that I believe is a bolt on, that gives you tabs on either side of the trigger guard.

• Like 1