How long did your Saiga 12 take to convert?

70 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take to convert your saiga 12?

• I converted it myself you insensitive clod!
    • Less then 2 weeks
    • 2 weeks - 1 month
    • 1 month - 2 months
    • 2 months - 3 months
    • 3 months - 6 months
    • 6 months - 1 year
    • 1 year +
    • I bought it already converted
    • What is this "converted" thing?

So a quick poll peoples:

How long did it take from when you received your saiga 12 unconverted to when you had a fully set up to your liking converted Saiga 12? I bought mine back in early August June and am having a full conversion done by a professional shop here in CA (plus Dinzag's gas tube mods done out of state).

They say it is nearly done, so how long did everyone else wait?

EDIT: I mean June.. not augest. Typo

Edited by unusedusername

Mine took a few hours. I restored her myself. I figure I'll send her in to a pro to be refinished when I've beaten more of the factory paint off, and while they're at it they can weld up the OEM trigger pin holes to make her look more purdy, (I've got an internal receiver block so they're blind anyway).

If they're "almost done" with yours and it's been less than 2 months I'd say you're doing pretty well. Many people on this forum have waited a lot longer to get their guns back from the shop.

I did mine my self, I did it very basic to start, I even used a left over wood AK stock. :P

It took me about an hour to get everything apart and the trigger group, and trigger guard together.

After that it was just a little here and there... and I did the refinish my self. :)

Even at almost 4 months, if they're truly almost done, that's not too bad. It also depends on what you're having done. So... what all are you having done? What's this Cali shop's "full conversion"? I hope they're not rivetting that gay mag-lock into your receiver. It's much better to have that attached with a screw if at all possible.

hrmph.....heres a 10k round gun, in all weather.....food has been taken without scope or front sight, as I have needed it..I have cleaned it THREE TIMES since 2001.

This IS the best shotgun on the planet, people.

Heres my front door lock......

post-83-1254549392478_thumb.jpg

A full conversion for me is....

* send upper assembly and safety lever to Dingaz Arms

* install front sight post by Dinzag Arms

* FCG moved to normal location including welding old holes, replace FCG with US made one

* add US made SAW type pistol grip

* add US made warsaw length fixed stock CA laws are evil :(

* Chaos tri-rail

* Chaos quick-cleanout

* Chaos warthog muzzle break

* Polish bolt, feed ramp for easy mag installation

* sandblast and re-duracoat so that saiga 12 still matches gas tube after dinzag mod

* Replace gas puck with US made one

* Replace AK sight leaf on Dinzag's gas tube with La Rue Iron Dot

The mag lock I have on mine is a different design then most of the ones floating around. The release lever is replaced by one that is flush with the bottom of the shotgun, and has a hole so that a tool such as an awl can release the magazine.

There isn't a big metal box welded to the bottom of the shotgun like most of them.

I can replace this release lever with an OEM one if the laws here ever change or I leave the state.

I wanted them to also shorten the barrel so that it is 18.5" with the muzzle break permanently attached, but the CA DOJ (and BATFE) here is too restrictive on SBS rules. They consider it a SBS for the short period of time between when the barrel is cut and the muzzle break is welded on, even if it is only when the shotgun is disassembled.

Since they won't give whatever permit is needed to work on SBSs to anyone in the state, I'll have to send it out of state for the last part later on :(

Edited by unusedusername

Sounds like she'll be a beaut once converted restored! That's a fair amount of work to do to a stock S-12, so I think your wait time will end up being about average. You'll definitely have to post (several) pics once you get her back!

I know.. I know.. the anticipation is killin ya, but I wouldn't engage in too much self-pity; I was without my gun for a month and a half just for warranty work. ;)

It did not take that long to do, but I planed it for a year.

It was then stolen in less then a month...

My new one is a Pro job!

Wow, that sucks. Condolences. Was it a random theft or did you show it to the wrong person?

I'd be incredibly pissed if I had my S-12 stolen, since I restored her myself, (nothing that required welding, but I wasn't overly shy with the dremel). When I buy another, (not anytime real soon), it'll be a sbs, so obviously that'll be a pro job.

How much do you want to do yourself?

The part that took me the longest, welding up the unused holes, isn't even mandatory. The next longest was modding an AK47 TG, they are now available already to rivet on from AK-builder. next was modding a G-2 hammer to fit, they are available already done from Tromix etc. Deduct those three procedures and I would say about an hour. Cutting the PG T-nut opening is really the only thing left to do.

Edited by 7.62x39

Took me about 6 hours give or take over a few days to do the PG conversion including cutting the hole for my PG nut, had it done in a week without much fuss.

Tac47Industries took about 3 or 4 weeks for the folder conversion, welding up the FCG holes and adding the magwell, plus refinishing.

Z

Did you ever get your gun back azrial? Where was it stolen from? I had some guys break into my house and stole an 870 and a keltec. They were caught though and i got my stuff back. They're doing hard time now...not hard because the jail in indy sucks (it's almost like a resort with all the sport facilities and what not), but hard because they actually have to maintain a job while on work release and are not allowed to wear their gold teeth.

• Like 1

Neat how you can convert a Saiga 12, and a Saiga 12 can convert another person!(as in, the bad-guy at the wrong end of it swiftly finding religion!) Ha-ha!

The Saiga-12 will "convert" any and all persons it's fired around. Either it will convert a Fudd to a believer in the S-12's design, or it will convert an enemy into a corpse. :devil:

Hrm nice... looks like not too many pro conversions out there.

I guess I'm in the minority getting it done by a shop.

You're in the minority, but not by that much. As I said, my next S-12 will be a sbs, (necessitating an experienced AK gunsmith).

For the 19" IZ-109 conversion restoration, I chose to do it myself. I saved a few hundred dollars this way, but I sacrificed the "repairs", (of 4 blind holes in what is basically an AK receiver), since I'm not a welder.

I am glad that I went the bolt-on/screw route for this gun though, since I learned everything about her by doing the work myself.

Your gun will probably return soon. As I said, you really need to grace the board with multiple pics of the ultimate result. I like the options you chose for your gun, (old school AK with a co-witnessing red-dot).

I did my Bullpup myself, with a lot of time spent reading this forum.

THANKS GUYS!!!!

I bought it last Nov. and didn't get it to where it is now till August. Part of that was remaking the Heat Sheild/Rail mount and getting the Configuration down. I also had to modify much of the add ons as I can never find exactly what I want, and hate to settle for less when I may have to depend on it. Or I could just be picky, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

It did not take that long to do, but I planed it for a year.

It was then stolen in less then a month...

My new one is a Pro job!

Wow, that sucks. Condolences. Was it a random theft or did you show it to the wrong person?

I'd be incredibly pissed if I had my S-12 stolen, since I restored her myself, (nothing that required welding, but I wasn't overly shy with the dremel). When I buy another, (not anytime real soon), it'll be a sbs, so obviously that'll be a pro job.

I had just bought a car that has an internal un-lockable trunk release. They forced the window, released the trunk and jackpot! I do not normally keep in it there, but had taken it out for the day and forgot it after having to run into a burning apartment building.

I was pretty pissed about it and still expect someday to get it back. Thanks for asking!

Did you ever get your gun back azrial? Where was it stolen from? I had some guys break into my house and stole an 870 and a keltec. They were caught though and i got my stuff back. They're doing hard time now...not hard because the jail in indy sucks (it's almost like a resort with all the sport facilities and what not), but hard because they actually have to maintain a job while on work release and are not allowed to wear their gold teeth.

Nope, it is still out in the wild. I will have to buy it back from the insurance company if it does turn up.

Glad to hear that yours showed up!

Plus one to you and post-apocalyptic for being concerned for a fellow board member!

Mine took about three minutes to decide that I needed to "do the right thing" after joining this site, then probably 2-3-4 months of deciding what I wanted to do and what parts I needed and the ordering them, and then due to "custom mods" I did myself another 4-5 days after I got the parts. That being said, there is still some welding and the final painting to be done. It's i9n it's Mad Max BadAss stage right now before it gets a little more civilized. It will still hold a 20 round drum no problem. This is the only 600 $ weapon that I have ever taken out of the box and started the dremel tool on, and beat the holy crap out of with a drill and a small sledge to get the scope mounts out, (not THAT bad) but, I have drilled, beat on it, HARD to get the rails back straight , and made a custom ribbed dust cover for it ( THAT I beat on hard! lol ) and added other custom parts, and it would really suck big time to have it stolen. I really don't consider anything mechanical to be "yours" unless you have spilled blood, sweat and tears on it. Only then does it become the right to be called "yours".

Edited by BronCobraJet