69 members have voted

1. 1. If you could have only one saiga which one would you choose?

• Saiga 12
    • Saiga 7.62x39
    • Saiga 223
    • Saiga 308

Larry always kept pretty much everything Saiga had to offer on display... What talked to me? What said, "Chile, ya know ya want me!"

The 7.62, nope, .223, nope, .308, nope, 410, nope... S12, yep :devil:

Larry always kept pretty much everything Saiga had to offer on display... What talked to me? What said, "Chile, ya know ya want me!"

The 7.62, nope, .223, nope, .308, nope, 410, nope... S12, yep :devil:

So, Chile, guns talk to ya? :unsure: Thas cool. Mine are aloof and silent until I ask em to destroy a target.

But yeah.. the S-12 is by far the most alluring, (and ultimately versatile), of any of Izhmash's offerings.

No other shotgun even comes close. Benelli can suck mah ballz! :lol: Talk about overpriced....

• Like 1

So, Chile, guns talk to ya? :unsure:

Yep, every once in awhile I walk into a gun shop and a gun will just start talking to me. :angel:

"Pssst... hey, look at me, over here."

"Chile, you and me was made for each other."

"Your wife won't stay mad forever."

"I feel real good don't I, I'll feel even better with a full mag at the range."

"Chile, you'll hate yourself all day if you don't buy me, NOW!"

It is a terrible thing to live with, but I find I feel much better if I listen and obey the voices.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

i disagree with most all. the s12 has the cool factor, i'll give it that. but if i could only have one gun period it would be my converted s7.62. here is why. its smaller and lighter than s12. it can use all ak mags. there is a huge choice for mag options for the 7.62. in a survival situation, it would be easier to find ak mags if you loose yours. standard ak mag 30 rds. max for s12 is 20rds. i have a 75rder for 7.62. 7.62 ammo is smaller so you can carry more in a survival situation. 7.62 has a longer range for accuracy than the s12. that sums up the overall reason to choose the 7.62.... :super:

i disagree with most all. the s12 has the cool factor, i'll give it that. but if i could only have one gun period it would be my converted s7.62. here is why. its smaller and lighter than s12. it can use all ak mags. there is a huge choice for mag options for the 7.62. in a survival situation, it would be easier to find ak mags if you loose yours. standard ak mag 30 rds. max for s12 is 20rds. i have a 75rder for 7.62. 7.62 ammo is smaller so you can carry more in a survival situation. 7.62 has a longer range for accuracy than the s12. that sums up the overall reason to choose the 7.62.... :super:

You've missed the point entirely. The question is what Saiga would you have if you could only have one. There are many manufacturers of quality Kalashnikov 7.62x39 rifles out there besides the Russians, (Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, Chinese etc).

There is only one real manufacturer of the "12-gauge AK" we all know and love, (that we can buy in the US anyway), and that's Izhmash. Thus, you should choose the S-12 as your one Saiga weapon, and get a Bulgy/Yugo 7.62x39 rifle.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I liked my 16.5 308-1 so much I bought another stored NIB in case anything happens to the first one. And yes, I own a Saiga-12 and 7.62x39 version. The .308 can play up close and way out there where all the other Saigas run out of gas(fpe).

post-14788-12548122024912_thumb.jpg

I liked my 16.5 308-1 so much I bought another stored NIB in case anything happens to the first one. And yes, I own a Saiga-12 and 7.62x39 version. The .308 can play up close and way out there where all the other Saigas run out of gas(fpe).

Yes, the S-308 is nice, and I'd buy one if I could afford it.

However, the S-12 is much cheaper to go plink/fuck around with. Within 100 yards, it is arguably more lethal using buckshot, (<50 yards), or slugs (<100 yards).

There are other great .308 rifles available from other manufacturers, but, as I've said a couple times before, only Izhmash makes a "12-gauge AK", so if you truly could choose only one Saiga weapon, imo it should be the Saiga-12 :killer:

But the Saiga-12 is not the only 12 gauge semi-automatic AK based weapon available to United States citizens (VEPR). And there may be others I may not be aware of. I will agree the Saiga-12 is probably the best affordable option when compared to the VEPR. And there are many domestic/foreign "EBR" .308 options. I just happen to like the Saiga .308-1 the best. I'm being honest, the other .308 rifles of this classification (self-defense/battle rifle) all seem large/heavy and clunky compared to the Saiga .308-1...at least to me. So, why would I limit myself to another type .308 semi-automatic battle rifle when I like the Saiga .308 the best and have more use for the .308 as a self-defense cartridge than the 12 gauge? The answer is I shouldn't and won't. Just because the Saiga-12 is the only commonly available option is a convoluted argument. Within 100 yards all Saigas will ruin your day...even a .410. But only the .308 will carry the muscle way out there. I will agree the Saiga-12 would be a monster to deal with up close. The point is this is America and you can pretty much use what you want. And there is no right or wrong answer...like assholes, we all have opinions also. And I paid $600.00 for my Saiga-12...both my Saiga 308's cost me approximately $550.00...I wish I had jumped on the "Saiga bandwagon" a few years ago before the prices spiked. Grab a Saiga .308 now post-apocalyptic because I do not think they will get much cheaper soon but they can damn sure get much more expensive in the future. Just my .2 cents but who in the hell ever listend to me... :lolol:

Well, if the .308 cartridge is truly more effective than 12-gauge shells for you in self-defense situations at distances of <100 yards, then you're in the minority. Hitting targets within that distance is easier with a shotgun, (for most of us anyway).

I didn't say that the S-12 was cheaper, I said that various 12-gauge shells are cheaper than .308 rounds.

As I said, I'd buy a Saiga .308 if I could afford it. Picking up a replacement 7.62x39 rifle is a higher priority.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

To each their own...at spray and pray the Saiga-12 is much better at obtuse 100YDS in the dark or weilded by nervous shooters.

Leave the Saiga 308's to the trained professionals. Don't want that kind of firepower in the hands of amateurs anyway! Still...great weapons. Saiga gets points for thinking outside the box. Now, if someone would just make "steel" hi-cap magazines at an affordable price...

For me the S12 is the go to gun.

As has been mentioned, ammo for it is more readily available and comes in a huge variety. I'll most always be able to shoot something.

It is as useful out to 100yrds as any other weapon.

A 10rnd mag of 00 buck equals(roughly) 90-120 .30 projectiles going down range in the same time you can fire 10rnds of ANY other nonshotgun weapon. Put a spreader choke on it and your covering alot of ground with one pull of the trigger.

In a SHtF scenario, the Saigax39 would be my next choice as ammo would be almost as readily avilable as 12ga. given the inexpense and people stockpileing this rnd. The .223 and then the .308 ammo you would most readily find around military battle sites and then in personal stockpiles. Both of which could prove most hazardous in the scavageing of. The 12ga. rnd could be found in abundance in your local megamart and country store if not already looted.

Just my 2 bits.

So, Chile, guns talk to ya? :unsure:

Yep, every once in awhile I walk into a gun shop and a gun will just start talking to me. :angel:

"Pssst... hey, look at me, over here."

"Chile, you and me was made for each other."

"Your wife won't stay mad forever."

"I feel real good don't I, I'll feel even better with a full mag at the range."

"Chile, you'll hate yourself all day if you don't buy me, NOW!"

It is a terrible thing to live with, but I find I feel much better if I listen and obey the voices.

Reminds ma of a song....

WARNING! RAP ALERT!!! PLAY IF YOU DARE :unsure:

It may corrupt your virgin minds... I am not responsible for what you do if you listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjf6IfGkuHo

:rolleyes:I'll attempt to redeem myself to those of you who tear your ears off as the sound of hip-hop :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2EfjEJAOA

Edited by Paulyski

I'm sorry. I fucked up this whole stupid poll because I decided that ONE SAIGA-12 wasn't enough. I have bought TWO Saiga-12's. It's like a Lay's Potato Chip. - No one can own just one.

Yeah, but I tried to eat my S-12 and it hurt. :sick:

I can honestly say that my S-12 is one of the most fun firearms I've ever fired, let alone owned. Fun, (fairly) cheap to plink with, and damn effective!! What's not to love? :D

Whenever I can afford it again, I plan on buying another S-12, (and leaving it in the box), to ideally have converted to a sbs down the road.

if you wanna rap, and like rap, well.......here ya go.....I already went into why before.....

walk your fuckin talk.

Oh, and if i catch you wearing my flag as "bling" Ill have a word or two with you.....

The saiga is DEFINED by the 12 gauge. Welcome to the best gun on the planet, and one that all Americans should have in the home......