High Capacity mags compatability with other gear.

Looking to buy some 25 round mags, but then got to thinking. At some point I am going to want a tactical vest with magazine pouches on them. Likely they would fit any type of AR type config magazines, but I wonder if they would properly carry a .308 25 round magazine thinking it might be too long for the pocket.

Anyone on here have tac gear that they can comfortably carry their high cap magazines on?

Looking to buy some 25 round mags, but then got to thinking. At some point I am going to want a tactical vest with magazine pouches on them. Likely they would fit any type of AR type config magazines, but I wonder if they would properly carry a .308 25 round magazine thinking it might be too long for the pocket.

Anyone on here have tac gear that they can comfortably carry their high cap magazines on?

I found the 25rd mags to be a bit too bulky, so I stuck with 20s for my 16s and my Saigunov. In my experience, you can fit a 20rd mag in any double M16 30rd mag pouch - some are more snug than others, so try before you buy if it's an option. I can fit two 20s in an ALICE pouch made for 3 30rd M16 mags and they stay secure and extract easily. I have a pile of the ALICE pouches left over from my time in the service, so I've modified them for the Saiga 20s.

6-8 20s is what I load out with for the 16s. I carry match ammo in factory 8rd mags modified to 10rd capacity for the Saigunov and 4 20s of ball for emergencies attached to the same LBV.

I spent most of my time in the field with an M25 (product improved M14) and found that 6-8 20rd mags plus other gear was PLENTY to hump. I carried additional ammo on strippers in bandoleers to reload my mags as needed.

HTH

Best,

Ulf

Not sure if this is applicable or not,

http://www.thevestguy.com/category.asp?id=174

This is stuff for saiga 12 mags which are gigantic. They will probably work for what you are looking for.

Bob

Those might work - since you can specify the size of the mag. You'd have to compare a 25rd mag to the various S12 mags to get an idea of what would work.

I remain hopeful that MSA will give us a mag adapter that will use the G3 mag. They're cheap, hell for stout and fit easily in pouches and vests that are readily available.

Ulf

Not sure about 25 rounders but a single 20 round Surefire 308 mag fits each pouch in my double ak mag pouch vests. If going with individual molle pouches I'd try a brand out first as the 20 rounders shape and size isn't good for my 308 AR open top pouches.

Edited by humanguerrilla

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will consider it seriously.

Not a problem - you might also consider armchairtactical's chest rigs. While I've not handled or used one myself, they seem to know what they're about and make good kit.

Keep in mind that chest rigs are limited in how many mags they can carry before they start to put undue strain on your back and shoulders. They're great if you're operating from a vehicle tho'.

HTH

Ulf

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will consider it seriously.

Not a problem - you might also consider armchairtactical's chest rigs. While I've not handled or used one myself, they seem to know what they're about and make good kit.

Keep in mind that chest rigs are limited in how many mags they can carry before they start to put undue strain on your back and shoulders. They're great if you're operating from a vehicle tho'.

HTH

Ulf

Check this rig out from armchair tactical. I was looking to order one for my S12 mags but I'm sure it'll work fine with the .308s. Heres the link http://www.armchairtactical.com/shop/article_7/The-Apron.html?shop_param=cid%3D5%26aid%3D7%26 .Its priced at $69.00 + shipping and handling.

Armchair Tactical is my company. I was a vendor here for a short time, but volume issues led me to pull the plug, even though the fees for being a vendor are really reasonable here. If you need gear and vestguy can't fill your needs, please let me know.

I would love to return as a vendor here, if the volume was there to at least support itself.

Spoon

Edited by thereisnospoon