first time shooting the saiga

this is going to be my first time shooting the saiga this weekend.

before i shoot it are there any last bits of maintenance i need to do?

the manual said to clean the bore to remove grease. what should i do this with? the box came with the cleaning rod but nothing to clean it with

after i clean the bore, do i need to lube it at all? i dont have lube either.

after shooting, do i need to clean the bore again or will it be fine

the manual said to clean the bore to remove grease. what should i do this with? the box came with the cleaning rod but nothing to clean it with

If you're shooting corrosive ammo, you will need to clean it not too long after shooting. Otherwise, you can afford to be lazy.

If you're shooting corrosive ammo, you will need to clean it not too long after shooting. Otherwise, you can afford to be lazy.

what parts do i clean after using corrosive ammo?

Break Free CLP is good for cleaning and lubing (CLP=clean, lube, protect.) Clean the bore (even though chrome lined) and gas tube after shooting, especially if using corrosive ammo or there will be rust in the gas tube in a matter of hours. Also in the muzzle brake. I've seen it on a Krink.

If shooting corrosive be sure to use water to thoroughly rinse the rifle, especially the bore and and gas tube, then clean normally with CLP or Hoppes. I use my garden hose on each rifle for a couple minutes to wash the salts out left behind from the corrosive primer.

Be careful with Hoppes because the Saiga finish isn't the most durable and doesn't react well to harsh solvents.

CLP or Ballistol is probably the best overall cleaner for a Saiga because they are extremely mild but do a nice job at getting the carbon off. I used CLP on everything in the Army and it works great, but I do use Hoppes #9 for the bore and sometimes switch up with Ballistol instead of CLP.

Don't believe the hype about ammonia or windex for corrosive, WATER and WATER alone is what takes care of the corrosive residue. Just rinse with water and then clean the rifle well using normal methods. Keep it reasonably lubed after you clean it and it will be fine.

Z