Saiga T6 without conversion?

everyone is going to tell you to do the conversion whatch the youtube video and forum members guides multiple time untill you are confertable and do the conversion and take it slow. dont waste your money on that stock cuz i beat you will eventually end up doing the conversion if you want a pistol grip rifle. with the tapco g2 trigger and the ergonomics of a converted saiga I promise you will not regret it. But in the end it is your rifle so do what you please with it. goodluck

• Like 3

Well put n102788. Some where around here there is a thread of people willing to help with conversions and the area they live in. If you live some where near, I'm sure some one will give you a hand.

Willing to help with conversions - Saiga-12.com

+1 on converting.

The all-in-one stock is just wrong, imho.

• Like 1

I have converted my x39 and have the tapco t6 stock on my .223 for compliance parts without converting.....yet

balance and look is better with the converted one.

choice is all yours....you're the only you need to please with it.

The conversion doesn't look that hard, but I might as well just get a WASR, than go through the trouble.

WHOA.

Lot of misconceptions there.

1) the WASR is made of used parts. How used? Nobody knows. Do you want to get the parts from the lucky training rifle used by the basic training unit of the Romanian Guards for the last 30 years? Before Cugir started using cut up military rifles, they used parts rejected by their QC department.

2) The Saiga is an all new rifle with many milspec parts. No seconds or QC rejects.

3) Trouble? What trouble? If you set your mind to it, you can convert in less than 45 minutes. A lot of guys here have never done this before (or had much experience with tools) and can do it in an afternoon. It doesn't take special tools at all.

• Like 1

Naolith is a bit biased, 'cause he's done it 4 million times. :rolleyes:

The hardest part of converting is the research. You have to make sure you're getting the right parts, you have all the right tools, and of course you have to be sure you know what you're doing with them. Once that is done, the conversion process is not that difficult and actually quite fun. As a point of reference, I was able to convert mine in 1 evening and 1 afternoon, and my mechanical skill level is quite laughable. (I had to ask my roommate how to use the power drill. :unsure: )

If you end up getting the non-conversion stock set, you CAN use the stock if you decide to convert later, but you CANNOT use the pistol grip that comes with it. I found this out the hard way, and now I'm waiting for a new pistol grip to get here. If you have the money and facilities to convert, I say do your research and go for it. You're gonna like the way it looks; I guarantee it. :up:

everyone is going to tell you to do the conversion whatch the youtube video and forum members guides multiple time untill you are confertable and do the conversion and take it slow. dont waste your money on that stock cuz i beat you will eventually end up doing the conversion if you want a pistol grip rifle. with the tapco g2 trigger and the ergonomics of a converted saiga I promise you will not regret it. But in the end it is your rifle so do what you please with it. goodluck

Why do you only have 77 posts? If you can keep this up you definitly need to speak up more.

If he listens to you he'll be saving a lot of drama, effort, and cash. awsome advice.

• Like 1

Oh and i wouldn't get the WASR.

Do the conversion and you will understand your firearm better. That knowlege is quite valuable itself.

And besides a saiga is a rock solid foundation to start with. MMMmmmm... new russian barrels...

I personally have the T6 stock. And I have to say it is awesome! Solid build and looks good. I'm sure a whole battalion of gun jocks are waiting in the wings to swoop in and say, "You suck if you don't convert!!!". It's like a religious belief or something.... :osama:

But I'd say if you don't want to convert for whatever reason the Tapco T6 is defiantly the way to go. Just be sure to slap in a US made magazine and your 992 ready my friend! Oh yeah and I guess do the whole bullet guide thing too... I haven't and my gun shoots fine with an AK mag... Humm I'm starting to think the whole bullet guide is kinda unnessacary...

Within 2 days of getting my x39 in hand I had all the parts and had it ripped apart..

Test fire first a few rounds stock, then convert it.. (Vankiller would say this) Just in case you need any warranty work..

I had mine done in like 1 1/2 hours MAX start till end...

If you want to go with the T-6 go for that. Its yours to do as you wish. (I was going to go that route also)

But it is WAY balanced with the PG moved up to the ORIGINAL factory spot...

Chasser,

No point in doing the bullet guide as the minute you put in a surplus AK mag, you're no longer in compliance with just the T6 all in on set-up as you need the 3 compliance parts provided by the US made mag.

Edited by GerryV

For me an AK is just for blasting ammo and for fun. I have an ar15 for precision shots. I also have an sks that is pretty accurate.

Here's a personal experience ... something away from the standard "just convert" repetition.

A buddy of mine who posts here every now and then got the Tapco Intrafuse Saiga T6 Stock Set, it is a high-quality part made by a good American company; many people here have at least one Tapco part in their gun. He had it on for about a month with several trips to the range, I let him hold my converted S12 and he wanted to convert right away. So, I helped him convert his firearm now he absolutely loves shooting it.

The nice thing is that there are lots of options for you... leave your gun stock, add some bolt on parts, or do a full conversion. There are plenty of examples of all of these, I remember seeing a nice unconverted Saiga with a custom wood stock, it was bad-ass.

Remember an AK variant can be an accurate gun, as well; I'm not going to speculate on the differences between accuracies of various weapons, because it is kind of a waste of time. There are a lot of AR guys out there who say AKs are not accurate at all, this is just ignorance... same as saying ARs are plastic junk (which I used to be guilty of). :)

If you want a high quality Russian gun, which you can build into exactly what you want, the Saiga is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, if you want something you can just pick-up and shoot, you might want to consider another AK, Peach State (one of our sponsors) has a decent selection on their site, check them out.. http://shop.peachstateguns.com/category.sc?categoryId=70

the Saiga is basically a top tier AK for bottom of the barrel prices, even after the conversion and a decent re-finish. if you want, get the T6 stock, but only get it if you really like that style stock because you WILL want to convert it eventually, and you probably will break down and do it, if you are at all into upgrading your toys (personally i can't leave anything i own original). you CAN use both the stock and PG after conversion (the PG lines up perfect if you bolt it up through the sporter trigger hole).

it took me just under 2 hours to convert. it was my first time taking apart any rifle. most of my mechanical experience is from working on 2 stroke motorcycles. the Kalashnikov really is very simple. i felt stupid for buying the t6 because now i really wish i had an east German folding stock but can't justify the expense right now.

my saiga is more accurate than the 2 sks's I've shot, one of them by a long shot. the wasr doesn't even compare IMO, why pay more for an inferior product?

Edited by mr.smith

you CAN use both the stock and PG after conversion (the PG lines up perfect if you bolt it up through the sporter trigger hole).

Hmmm. If I remember right, I think the problem I had was that the hole in the PG was too big for a normal PG screw. I could have mounted it maybe if I had a nut and screw laying around that fit just right, but I did not. Ah well, I didn't like the SAW grip anyway.

You know, I think I would actually prefer the Saiga in 100% stock config over the T6 stock set unconverted. I kind of liked the way it was before, but not more than a full convert. ^_^ Anyone else think so?

Take it from SO MANY OF US, go ahead and buy the T-6 stock and some other goodies and bolt on the rifle. You will have a cool looking rifle that still has a sucky trigger pull that you can't LEGALLY use double stack mags that hold more than 10 rounds in because of the 922r rule. Or , go out and buy a WAY over priced WASR that was cobbled together out of SUBPAR BASTARDIZED parts that are at best of questionable quality and 30-50 years old...maybe they mate up...maybe not. OR Get a FIRST RATE, HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN MIL-SPEC RIFLE THAT WAS ASSEMBLED IN THE SAME PLANT AS THE ORIGIONAL AK'S with matched NEW parts and spend very little money and very little time and have in my opinon, the greatest AK on the planet in production now.

Probably 90 % of us on this forum went this route and with less than the money we blew pimping it out to look like a Mall Ninja gun, we converted it to the GREAT rifle that it can be!

Or, leave it be...your rifle, your choice man. Just sayin there are more people on this forum than you could shake a stick at that are more than willing FOR FREE to guide you through the SIMPLE process of the PG conversion, and give you one of the greatest feelings and pleasures that you will ever have in your life. The few simple tools that it takes to do it, you probably already own, or can borrow!

Your choice.

Good luck, which ever way you decide to go.

Take it from SO MANY OF US, go ahead and buy the T-6 stock and some other goodies and bolt on the rifle. You will have a cool looking rifle that still has a sucky trigger pull that you can't LEGALLY use double stack mags that hold more than 10 rounds in because of the 922r rule. Or , go out and buy a WAY over priced WASR that was cobbled together out of SUBPAR BASTARDIZED parts that are at best of questionable quality and 30-50 years old...maybe they mate up...maybe not. OR Get a FIRST RATE, HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN MIL-SPEC RIFLE THAT WAS ASSEMBLED IN THE SAME PLANT AS THE ORIGIONAL AK'S with matched NEW parts and spend very little money and very little time and have in my opinon, the greatest AK on the planet in production now.

Probably 90 % of us on this forum went this route and with less than the money we blew pimping it out to look like a Mall Ninja gun, we converted it to the GREAT rifle that it can be!

Or, leave it be...your rifle, your choice man. Just sayin there are more people on this forum than you could shake a stick at that are more than willing FOR FREE to guide you through the SIMPLE process of the PG conversion, and give you one of the greatest feelings and pleasures that you will ever have in your life. The few simple tools that it takes to do it, you probably already own, or can borrow!

Your choice.

Your choice.

So, Unclejake, I have a Saiga 7.62 w/2 US made Sure Fire 30 round mags (3 922 compliant parts) and a Tapco T6 stock (2 922 compliant parts) coming in next week. Other than the crappy trigger pull what else will a full conversion fix?? I should be 922 compliant, right? If so, how difficult is a trigger job to upgrade the POS in the Saiga? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chasser,

No point in doing the bullet guide as the minute you put in a surplus AK mag, you're no longer in compliance with just the T6 all in on set-up as you need the 3 compliance parts provided by the US made mag.

Ha... Well I did say "slap in a US made magazine"... So unless I'm missing something I should be compliant... With the Tapco US made buttstock that is. ;)

Anyone here have the Tapco T6 without conversion? I'm thinking of getting a saiga, but I don't want to hack up a new gun.

yep, I thought the same thing. Please read my post here My link

I am now looking to get either an ACE or Tromix skeleton stock. In my rush to make my Saiga more tacticool looking I bought the T6 stock...not my best decision. If you like it though then thats fine, I am just not happy with it in either form....factory or converted.

Edited by Flashbang

convert it.. it is a 45 minute process that requires no cutting of the gun. If you lived in south west florida i would do it for free.. it seriously takes 45 minutes on a 7.62x39 saiga. If it were a saiga 12 then i could see your concern since you would have to drill a 3/8 hole in the bottom of the reciever and square it off, but you don't on yours

if you want ill make you an itemized parts list so you have everything you need... i mean everything

Thanks for all the replies. I do like the idea of a brand new gun. I'm not afraid to tinker with a gun. I guess I'll go with a saiga.

Thanks for the Advertisement guys. I would also suggest the Saiga and we do have them if you are interested. Please feel free to call us at 678-660-2000 to discuss. Also mention you are calling from saiga-12.com.

Thanks,

Jeremy