Which folding stock is better?

Agent242,

The Tapco will slide right in with no modifications. It locks solid when opened with virtually no play. I recently sold one to Pistonring8. You might ask for his feedback. I never fired the rifle with that folder as I am a lefty and the hinge block sits on the side I use to sight with. Way too close to my face for comfort. I put an ACE stock on mine. DPH probably has the best price at $45. He also carries the Romanian folder for $50.

http://www.dpharms.com/modules/shop/index.php?cPath=23

I can't speak to the Romanian folder other than to point out if you use it you will need to find another part to change out for a US made one. You need four US parts not including the grip or compensator. If either of those is not US you have to find yet another part to change out. The key is not to exceed 10 foreign parts once you begin modifcations of the approved imported Saiga rifle.

Wolverine

Edited by Wolverine

Play that funky music white boy, and get an ACE stock.

I looked at different folding stocks at my dealer; the tapco is ok folds good

however, is plastic and the Rumanian is great but uncomfortable.

Now the ACE is not the seven wonder of the world is expensive and looks

ordinary, but for what I see, it can take a liking and keep on thinking

you get what you pay for, a lot of mula for the stock, the hinge and the

receiver block, but is going to last and if you have to crack some skulls with it

well it will be there on the gun, and not like half on the rifle and half on the

other hand, just my two cents, but who knows I can be wrong and maybe

just a tapco folding will be good, well go whit the want you like and think

is the best for you and the money that you can spend on a stock.

Good luck and happy shoothings.

Edited by vjor

The Tapco side folder that Wolverine sold me is great! It does mount up very nicely and locks open very well. It looks great too. As much as I hate to admit it though, it wiggles ever so slightly on the plastic pivot pin. I am going to spin out a Stainless steel pin this spring for it (on the bottom of a long to-do list) There is also a little rubber bushing inside the mechanism witch allows it to pivot without grinding up the plastic. This bushing also gives the stock the ability to flex a little bit.

I love the stock, and I am learning to hold the rifle a bit looser now so that the flex does not through off my aim. (I have a habbit of holding the rifle very tightly) I plan on keeping the stock because it is light and works so well folded or closed. But if you want one to be super solid, I would suggest finding one in steel or go with a rigid/solid stock.

The Tapco side folder that Wolverine sold me is great! It does mount up very nicely and locks open very well. It looks great too. As much as I hate to admit it though, it wiggles ever so slightly on the plastic pivot pin. I am going to spin out a Stainless steel pin this spring for it (on the bottom of a long to-do list) There is also a little rubber bushing inside the mechanism witch allows it to pivot without grinding up the plastic. This bushing also gives the stock the ability to flex a little bit.

I love the stock, and I am learning to hold the rifle a bit looser now so that the flex does not through off my aim. (I have a habbit of holding the rifle very tightly) I plan on keeping the stock because it is light and works so well folded or closed. But if you want one to be super solid, I would suggest finding one in steel or go with a rigid/solid stock.

I had my Tapco for a couple weeks when all the sudden the hinge pin snaped

luckley this happend at home! Using a drill and a dremel I cut this little dandy

from a bolt laying about

post-1789-1110691476_thumb.jpg

The Romanian does not move, it is hard steel and will last the life of the rifle. I don't think there is any comparison to the plastic tapco stock. The ACE is also steel and does not have any play (wiggle). Tthe ACE also comes in several lengths and buttpad configs and can be made easily to fold on either side. It is also quickly deployable, the Romanian requires you to push the button when deploying and only folds to the one side. But of course, the ACE stocks are the most expensive. Stay away from the Tapco. That's my opinion. I have the Romanian and the ACE if you have any questions.

EDIT: PM me with any questions so that I will be sure to see them.

Edited by KySoldier

I have both the TAPCO stock and the Romanian stock. I just bought the Romanian stock at a gun show this past weekend. It's absolutely rock solid. The reason I changed was because the TAPCO one wiggled a little to much. The easiest way to get through the compliance parts thing is to get US mag followers from TAPCO. The TAPCO stock is a good 3/4" longer than the Romanian. Which I'm going to fix by purchasing a recoil pad from FAC. The other downside to the Romanian is the cheek-weld. I intend to fix this by wrapping the main wire in some para-cord.

I've got no experience with the ACE stocks, but they appear to be pretty solid stocks.

Just my $.02.

jason

Yeah, the cheek weld is poor on the Romanian and it is shorter than we are used to, like most European stocks. I just ordered a PTR-91, probably put an ACE on it too, I heard the original collapsible stocks (if you can find one) gets flimsy over time.