I am truely sorry for this question and don't even know if it's in the right place...so I appologize in advance. I have read through some of the threads and looked at the check lists but I'm still a little unsure about some of the compliance issues. I will try to make this brief.

I have a converted s12 with an AK stock and pistol grip so I think I have 9 foreign parts. My questions revolve around the 5 round factory mag I got when I bought this gun. Now this counts as 3 or at least counts as 3 US parts when I use a 10 rounder so, should I not even have this factory 5 round magazine in my possession??? Just not take it to the range??? If I should sell it any idea on value???

>>AK stock and pistol grip

A foreign made stock and grip?

Did you also replace the FCG with US made parts or no?

IIRC possession of the foreign mag is no problem until mated to a gun which breaks the parts count.

Yes foreign made stock and pistol grip. KA puck if that matters at this time. Hopefully my Chaos tri rail will be in soom so I think that will reduce my foreign count by 1.

Edit: and I have a chaos worthog as a muzzle attachment. Thanks Yes FCG with US parts.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR IN A 63

Here ya go bud. Might be easer this way. Just un-check what you have that is US made. Right bellow the checklist it will thell ya if its legal or not. Hope it helps

Edited by Arik

Thanks Arik but the link doesn't work. I think I know which one you're talking about though....the one with 18 items and the 3 mag parts at the bottom. If so that is the one I have been using. My real question though was whether I could possess the factory 5 round mag...which spartacus answered. Thanks guys.

Thanks Arik but the link doesn't work. I think I know which one you're talking about though....the one with 18 items and the 3 mag parts at the bottom. If so that is the one I have been using. My real question though was whether I could possess the factory 5 round mag...which spartacus answered. Thanks guys.

LOL DOH!!! :oops: The link didnt work cause I forgot to paste it!! :grimace: Sorry!! At least you knew what I was talking about :beaten:

With all due respect Nalioth this comment confused me> "Your shotty is set up (922r-wise) for "any magazine"."

If I use the factory 5 round mag aren't I sitting at 12 foreign parts??

The 5 round magazine is considered "sporting".

Unless you have more than one of these on your shotty

a folding stock

a pistol grip

a bayonet lug

a grenade launcher

you are fine.

With all due respect Nalioth this comment confused me> "Your shotty is set up (922r-wise) for "any magazine"."

^^ He does have a pistol grip.

If your gun has 9 foreign parts without the original mag, yes it will have 12 with it; since the mag of course counts as three parts. If you assemble the firearm with the magazine, you will be in violation of 922r. If you're not going to use that magazine, I'd recommend just selling it. If you're interested in trading, I've got a Surefire 12-round which I never use, PM me if you're interested.

Edited by vbrtrmn

^^ He does have a pistol grip.

If your gun has 9 foreign parts without the original mag, yes it will have 12 with it; since the mag of course counts as three parts. If you assemble the firearm with the magazine, you will be in violation of 922r. If you're not going to use that magazine, I'd recommend just selling it. If you're interested in trading, I've got a Surefire 12-round which I never use, PM me if you're interested.

The import criteria are "no more than 2 evil features".

A detachable magazine is one feature. (if you use "non sporting mags", you automatically incur 922r, as "non sporting firearms" are not importable)

The pistol grip is another.

So long as he doesn't have any of the other 3 "evil features", he's good to go with his factory magazine.

Edited by nalioth
  • 1 month later...

Current 922r directly references the clause 925(d)(3) from the outdated AWB code to define something "not suited for sporting purposes" to this day, regardless of if it's outdated.

In fact that link you posted proves my point further, so I think we may just be misunderstanding each other somehow, haha.

One thing that still disturbs me is the lack of anything concrete that specifically defines high cap mags as "unsporting".

Edited by IronRonin