I have a .38 Special S&W Snubbie and a Ruger GP100 .357 6-inch revolver. I would get a .357 Marlin. I figure the less number of rounds you need for your rifles/handguns the better. Though I'm thinking of starting to collect those Rossi single-shot matched pairs so I can fire many different rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

A decent lever gun is a lot of fun. If the guys covered most of the bases. Some of us prefer lever guns kept the way they were originally designed, other prefer "gamer specials" for some perceived minor advantage in competition. Whatever floats your boat. Just be safe.

• 5 years later...

The Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 is a hoot. I use mine for deer in the bush. That big bullet just plows right through brush. My buddy shot a deer THROUGH a small softwood log using a hardcast bullet. Nice chest shot.

• Like 4

My Puma .454 is a fine levergun.

I got it for $425 and someone had already done a very nice action gob on it. They are normally quite rough out of the box.

It's a bit of a handful when loaded with 32 grans of H110 behind a 350 grain Hornaday XTP.

I bet the .454 is something to shoot. Lots of weight behind that round!!!

I have a vid of me blasting water melons with it somewhere.

SHEPHERD,

TRY 30.0GRNS. OF H110 OVER THE BARNES ALL COPPER 225GR. XPB BULLET.

OUT OF THAT 20"BBL, I BET IT'S CUTTIN' 2200FPS.

SHOT A 225LB. HOG WITH THAT LOAD A FEW YEARS AGO, HIT IT DEAD ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER, AT A SLIGHT ANGLE, AND IT EXITED OUT THE LEFT SIDE OF ITS NECK ABOUT 8" IN FRONT OF ITS LEFT SHOULDER, AND KEPT ON GOIN'.

UPON BEING SHOT, IT JUST WENT TOTALLY STIFF, LIKE YOU HAD 440V HOOKED TO ITS NOSE AND NUTS, AND KEELED OVER STONE-ASSED DEAD, WITHOUT A TWITCH OR SOUND.

THE GUY I WAS WITH, AND WHOSE LAND WE WERE ON, WAS AGHAST, SAYING THAT HE'D SEEN A LOT OF HOGS KILLED OUT THERE, BUT HAD NEVER SEEN ONE STRUCK SO INSTANTLY DRT.

STEVE, OF STEVESGUNZ SLICKED MINE UP, AND ALSO REPLACED THAT ROCK-HARD FACTORY PAD WITH A MUCH NEEDED LIMBSAVER.

GOING TO TRY TO SEE ABOUT MOUNTING ONE OF THE SMALL TRITIUM POWERED SEEALLS IN PLACE OF THE REAR SIGHT, WHEN THEY COME OUT AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR.

JESS1344

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Lil bit of a necro post but I have two myself.  A Rossi Rio Grande .45-70 (Based on the Marlin with a big loop lever.) and the PW-1887 12 gauge.  I love both.  :D

Yes the .45-70 plows.  Big thump, great shooter friendly recoil, leaves a smile on your face after you fire a round.  The 1887?  It's just flat out fun.