Mag modification?

I just bought three mags at a gun show a 30rd(made in Hungary) and 2x5rd(china). When I try to lock them in the gun the mag catch wont lock. Do I need to grind down the catch on the mags to make them fit? I dont have a bullet guide installed but I do have it on order. Also I tried the search function but for some reason it wasnt responding? Thanks for the help

The common thought is to modify your rifle's mag catch once.

That way, you can use any milsurp magazine you like.

If you mod your mags, you'll only be able to use those mags in it, and will need to mod every mag you get . .

I just bought three mags at a gun show a 30rd(made in Hungary) and 2x5rd(china). When I try to lock them in the gun the mag catch wont lock. Do I need to grind down the catch on the mags to make them fit? I dont have a bullet guide installed but I do have it on order. Also I tried the search function but for some reason it wasnt responding? Thanks for the help

You will have to modify the Surefire to work with the bullet guide.

Edited by Flashbang

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense. I'm assuming all I should do to modify the catch is grind down a portion of it until the mags fit? And will I still be able to use my surefire 30rd mag? I only have one so if not no big deal.

I think "grind" is not the way to think.

I think "polish and fit" is the way to go.

If you polish your mag catch a little bit at a time and fit all your mags (yes, even the factory 10 rounders) often, you'll find a 'happy medium' where all mags fit and function (albeit some will be a little looser than others, and some will be tighter [further mods will be required to factory mags so that they work with a bullet guide - this can be done in such a way to still retain functionality in guns w/o a bullet guide])

You will have to modify the Surefire to work with the bullet guide.

In what way do you modify a Surefire magazine to work with a bullet guide installed?? Ive got a bullet guide installed and both my surefire 20's and the factory 10 work without any hiccups.. please clarify this "modify" you speak of.

I think he meant the 'front tab' of the mag hits the newly installed bullet-guide.

Depends on how far 'OUT' (aka overhang) the BG is installed into the mag well 'area'.

Some people go FLUSH with the trunnion some go a smidge into the mag well area so the mag almost touches the mil-spec mags.. This will then hit the Saiga and Surefire mag front tabs.