Hello.

Are the steps involved in converting a .308 Saiga the same as say the .223? Is it much different? What extra, if any, is involved? I saw a pic of a Saiga(nov) and I thought it looked good.... I did my .223 Saiga and I've ben kicking around doing a 22" .308.... Thanks :super:

The .308 has a few slight differences. The bottom cover plate is spot welded on, rather than put on with rivets, so it's a little 'different' to take off.

On most other standard Saiga rifles, there are an extra couple of parts involved in the FCG, so there are a couple of extra axis pins that have to be dealt with. The .308 has a different setup so there are no extra pins to take out, nor holes to have to fill. (although recently someone posted pics of a .223 that had the same type of swept back trigger as the .308, so nothing surprises me any more...:unsure:)

Some people also run into an issue with the safety tab not being long enough to work with the Tapco G-2 FCG, requiring either a bit of welding on the back of the trigger, or the selector, to get the safety to work.

And of course the other issue is, the only mags vailable for use with converted .308s are the factory ones, and a limited number of available after market Saiga mags.....surplus AK mags won't work like they will in the other Saiga rifles (.223, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39).

No bullet guide required. Although much experimentation has been conducted, there really aren't any viable mags from other guns that have been made to work properly IMHO.

Good to see another Indian Head refugee on this site as well!

Edited by Havoc308

Since concretus has brought up the question - would Dragunov or PSL magazines work? Would this conversion require a bullet guide? Maybe a 7.62x39 bullet guide might work.

I happen to have both. Here is a 7.62x54r PSL mag with a Saiga 308 rifle (the mag is just sitting on top)

dscn0366r.jpg

A close up Notice the differance between the front of the magwell and the meg

magfit.jpg

Too wide on the sides

dscn0368u.jpg

1 curved PSL 10rd mag and 1 10rd surefire mag

dscn0370r.jpg

dscn0371y.jpg

PSL mag up front

dscn0372s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the 308 conversion, but I have a little apprehension too. I have a some experience with firearms. I've built an ar-15 lower, but I felt like it was more like building Legos. Is the conversion doable for an newbie? I would use the Danzig kit for sure.

Thanks

The .308 has a few slight differences. The bottom cover plate is spot welded on, rather than put on with rivets, so it's a little 'different' to take off.

On most other standard Saiga rifles, there are an extra couple of parts involved in the FCG, so there are a couple of extra axis pins that have to be dealt with. The .308 has a different setup so there are no extra pins to take out, nor holes to have to fill. (although recently someone posted pics of a .223 that had the same type of swept back trigger as the .308, so nothing surprises me any more...:unsure:)

Some people also run into an issue with the safety tab not being long enough to work with the Tapco G-2 FCG, requiring either a bit of welding on the back of the trigger, or the selector, to get the safety to work.

And of course the other issue is, the only mags vailable for use with converted .308s are the factory ones, and a limited number of available after market Saiga mags.....surplus AK mags won't work like they will in the other Saiga rifles (.223, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39).

I had one 308 with the bottom cover spot welded, and one rivited, one had the PG hole cut, and other did not. also the gas tube is unique and it will take some fitting to get a regular gas tube to work.