i didnt need a bullet guide??

this weekend i shot my saiga converted for the first time. i still hadnt put the bullet guide in but figured id try out a milsurp mag anyway.

a couple times i had to pull the bolt back once or twice to get the first bullet to feed in, but after the first it worked perfectly

whats the deal?

What type of mag was it?? 015.gif

Some Tapco mags are now made for Saiga's specifically, and then the Thermold/Mastermolder for AK's have a built in guide like the factory mags.. But they are for the 7.62x39 so I don't know..

Got any pics of the mag(s) or the inside of your rifle??

this weekend i shot my saiga converted for the first time. i still hadnt put the bullet guide in but figured id try out a milsurp mag anyway.

a couple times i had to pull the bolt back once or twice to get the first bullet to feed in, but after the first it worked perfectly

whats the deal?

Not sure. I've had my converted 7.62 since April, and have put about 400 rounds of FMJ, & 100 rounds of Wolf HP through it (I know that's a low round count by some's standards, but I'm working on it fellas). I have yet to install a bullet guide, and I use Hungarian milsurp 20-rounders. No failures as of yet.

I have been looking at the Dinzag kit for a few months, and am getting up the nerve to tackle the job. Until that time, my Saiga makes a good, reliable range gun, but I wouldn't trust it with my life until the guide gets put in. Just my .02

Edited by Kevin in Texas
  • Like 1

i bought em off centerfire last week they were 13$ a piece. i think they were supposably izzy plums that got painted over or something and labaled 'bulgaria' i think..

they dont have the feedramp on them.

im still gonna put the bullet guide in because i already bought it, i was just suprised it worked

Its funny you say that I got a 20 round ProMag that has a 'feedramp' built in on that also. Maybe 20 rounders for x39's (aka tanker mags) just have that as SPEC...

I dunno. When I inspect the feed lips and follower there doesn't look like anything special about it compared to the factory 10-rounder, and Surefire 30-round Saiga mag the seller threw in when I bought it. I had the Mag catch dremelled down enough that it still takes both Saiga and AK mags. So far no probs.

My err. I was thinking of the Thermold 30's 'front' vs. the factory 10's matching up in height and such.

People on here report they work without a BG installed also. I compared them, then hand-cycled thru both the mags I snagged at $12.50 each from a guy online. Both were NEW in bag so I was happy.

Going to a show in Split Rock PA area next month so I am saving my $ to get a couple METAL surplus AK mags and maybe some other goodies.. 027.gif I want to get a case of 500 x39 ammo and mags in general.. I do want to get a shotgun also.... decisions...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

whats the deal?

well how many rounds did you put through it what mags were you using saigafreak says dangerous with out bullet guide arms of america says bulgarian will work with no modification saiga says they don't know that the only way they can import is with lo cap mags because they are not us made thanks