• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

107ur

AKS-74U and SLR107UR   Samson type 3 for Bulgarian rail, Vltor offset scout mount and G2 LED             Z

Not mine, but I saw this on Arfcom. The sickest SBR'd AK I've ever seen.             http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=98&t=129664&page=1&sr=0

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished-crop-small.jpg

I just received my stamp back and finally got to finish my Saiga 12. I've had it since I was 20, so this has been a long time coming. I've done all the work myself (drilling, welding, etc) and the only thing left is to get it Cerakoted. I would've gone through Tromix if I wasn't a starving graduate student. I guess I'll just have to save for a S17 after I finish and move back to AK.

OAL: 28"

LOP: 11" to 15"

Mods list:

11" ICC Barrel

Original JTE Magwell

Tromix backing plate, gas tube, piston, and trigger guard

Commercial stock that I milled, threaded, and shortened

Modified Saiga rifle handguard (thanks for the idea EVL)

• Like 1

Can you provide a range report on this since it now has a stock? I am interested in 100 meter groups. Everyone that has supplied accuracy reports have done so at around 25 meters. Curious as to whether it can do better than 3-4 MOA.

Thanks.

Question answered.

I don't know what the mechanical accuracy is.  It's a short-barreled AK with a dot sight.  If I had to guess I'd say it would do no better than 3-4 moa.  Fortunately there are other options if long range accuracy is your goal.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been sitting on this build for a while. Finally gathered all the parts needed to finish it. This thing is tiny.

DDLES Small Frame lower

RRA Slab side upper

ADCO 5.5" barrel

ADCO 9mm Bolt

Odin Keymod Forend

LWRC Compact stock

171a49e704e6180f73d30d11b001bf66_zps91ae

Edited by sunnybean
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

s12-11.jpg

s12-12.jpg

s12-13.jpg

14" barrel, stock length gas system.  It originally had 3 holes at about 5/64" each; I drilled a 4th hole and enlarged them all with a #41 drill.  Actually gained a little bit of improved function over stock....  The light trap loads it was iffy with before, are now reliable, even out of the drum.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

s12-11.jpg

s12-12.jpg

s12-13.jpg

14" barrel, stock length gas system.  It originally had 3 holes at about 5/64" each; I drilled a 4th hole and enlarged them all with a #41 drill.  Actually gained a little bit of improved function over stock....  The light trap loads it was iffy with before, are now reliable, even out of the drum.

I like the MHI patch too.

• 3 months later...

AMD-65 based SBR, in "AK Black" KG gunkote. Not sure why the finish is ending up glossy; my brother had a couple of AKs finished in the same color years ago, and they are much flatter. I'll have to work on that, although it will be a while before I do any others. Too many other things to do for now.

aksbr11.jpg

The basic rundown is this was originally built as a pistol with a matching numbers AMD-65 kit on a serial matched NDS receiver when they were still offering that service. I later blind pinned an extended brake on it and made a 16" rifle out of it. Last year when I SBRed it, I rebarreled it with a US 4150 "nitride" barrel from akbuilder.com, which I had shortened to AMD length and lathe threaded with suppresor-true 1/2-28 threads. Internally it has an RSA adjustable FCG set to about 4 pounds, and the usual pin retaining plate. Rear trunnion is one of AK builder's modular units that comes drilled and tapped for the Ace hinge, and the stock with adjustable kydex cheek piece is of my own design and construction. Since it takes a standard AR recoil pad, I put the fat Limbsaver on there to gain LOP more than anything since I have orangutan length arms. The flash hider is a 51T unit that accepts my SDN-6 can, and the optic is a CMR 1-4x with the AK reticle, on a Gen3 TWS rail. The rifle has a few building scars on it, but overall I am pretty happy with it. Eventually I want to build a 16" version set up the same way for traveling out of state without paperwork.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Decided I needed an MP5A3.  Picked up a PTR 9ct, US made MP5 clone and SBRed it. Took only 16 business days with Form 1 E File.  Added an all steel used German A3 stock from 1980.  Roller locks are sweet to shoot!

Doug

7AEA8333-168C-4B28-A34E-A4109F9DDCBB.jpeg

• Like 1