Gun finishings: Where to buy and Dura or KG

DSC06771.jpg

I've got it down this far now and I'd like to refinish it. I've never done this before though. I've been looking around the web and find people who perfer KG over duracoat and also dura over KG.

Has anyone here used either? Pros and cons? How hard is it? I work at a body shop so I know the importance of clean surfaces and preping. I'm a body tech though so I don't do painting.

I've thought of powdercoating for a minute but quickly dismissed that idea. I have read that KG has a better OD than dura, anyone here have a dura OD gun? So far the only site I've found to sell

the dura home kit is kappowe airsoft and haven't found a KG "starter" kit.

Dylan

DSC06771.jpg

I've got it down this far now and I'd like to refinish it. I've never done this before though. I've been looking around the web and find people who perfer KG over duracoat and also dura over KG.

Has anyone here used either? Pros and cons? How hard is it? I work at a body shop so I know the importance of clean surfaces and preping. I'm a body tech though so I don't do painting.

I've thought of powdercoating for a minute but quickly dismissed that idea. I have read that KG has a better OD than dura, anyone here have a dura OD gun? So far the only site I've found to sell

the dura home kit is kappowe airsoft and haven't found a KG "starter" kit.

Dylan

Whatever finish you use, you need two steps first if you want really good finish.

1) Dip whole thing in clean high grade solvent to remove all trace of oil and contaminants

2) blast with abrasive down to clean bare metal

Then pick your coating. Duracoat is a little easier to use but Cerakote seems to be a little harder finsh

And BTW there is no trigger guard on your pic, best to install first before coating. If you weld blast first. If you bolt on blast all the residual paint. Also totally reassemble your gun BEFORE you coat to make sure everything fits. Much harder to correct mistakes after you coat.

Edited by Antelop
  • 2 weeks later...

Dylan, I am at exactly the same place you are and asking the same questions about refinishing. I asked about removing the barrel, but that seems to be a daunting task. I was looking for an easier solution that sandblasting to the bare metal, but if that is what it takes, I guess that is what needs to be done. I will keep checking here for any other solutions. Oh yea, Duracoat is only available from Lauer here.

Edited by Gun Nut