Should I buy a MAKAROV?

:osama: Well now that I own a Saiga, I now want to own a hand gun....(yes, I am new to fire arms)

For now, I just want a hand gun that I can use for fun (pratice at the range of course). I am in college (University of Florida - GO GATORS) so I also can't spend too much money.

I have read several online reviews on the Makarov and everything about this pistol is awsome (plus its cheap!)

So I was wondering...should I get a Makarov? If so, which version should I get? (Russian, Polish, Bulgarian, et...)

Also...can you guys give me an idea of the range and accuracy of this pistol; also, can you guys let me know how comfortable/easy it is to carry concealed?

Thanks!

:osama::killer:

Agent~ For what your looking for, and considering that you are new to firearms I would recommend the Makarov. Look for the Bulgarian Models they are the best buy right now (the polish isn't a Makarov Pistol it is a P64 slightly smaller with a terrible trigger pull but it is in 9x18 Calibre). The reason I would recommend the Makarov are as follows:

~ Readily Available Accesories ( grips etc.) =Makarov.Com

~ Readily Available Surplus Ammunition =Wolf / Surplus Etc.

~ Readily Available Domestic Ammunition =Honrnady / Winchester / Magsafe

~ Defensive Rounds Available = Hornady XTP / Magsafe / Wolf Hollow Point

~ Low Recoil

~ Double Action With Decocker

~ Compact Enough For Concealed Carry

The CZ-52 is a great pistol ( I own one) but its problems are its is big, it is a Single Action (these two do not endear it for concealed carry) Also in FMJ / Ball Ammo it can be overpenatrative, and finally accesories and Defensive Rounds require a little more digging to find. You can convert it to 9mm but could have some reliablilty issues with the magazines, I wouldn't recommend the 9mm conversion for self defense until it is completely tested. You can't go wrong either way~~ Just my 2 cents worth.

JDA1

CZ-83 .380

CZ-83 9x18

Bulgarian Makarov 9x18

Polish P64 9x18

CZ-52 7.62x25

PA-63 9x18

SMC 9x18

Saiga .308

Arsenal SLR-105 5.45x39

Agent~ For what your looking for, and considering that you are new to firearms I would recommend the Makarov.  Look for the Bulgarian Models they are the best buy right now (the polish isn't a Makarov Pistol it is a P64 slightly smaller with a terrible trigger pull but it is in 9x18 Calibre). The reason I would recommend the Makarov are as follows:

~ Readily Available Accesories ( grips etc.) =Makarov.Com

~ Readily Available Surplus Ammunition    =Wolf / Surplus Etc.

~ Readily Available Domestic Ammunition  =Honrnady / Winchester / Magsafe

~ Defensive Rounds Available  = Hornady XTP / Magsafe / Wolf Hollow Point

~ Low Recoil

~ Double Action With Decocker

~ Compact Enough For Concealed Carry

The CZ-52 is a great pistol ( I own one) but its problems are its is big, it is a Single Action (these two do not endear it for concealed carry) Also in FMJ / Ball Ammo it can be overpenatrative, and finally accesories and Defensive Rounds require a little more digging to find.  You can convert it to 9mm but could have some reliablilty issues with the magazines, I wouldn't recommend the 9mm conversion for self defense until it is completely tested.  You can't go wrong either way~~ Just my 2 cents worth.

JDA1

CZ-83  .380

CZ-83  9x18

Bulgarian  Makarov 9x18

Polish P64  9x18

CZ-52  7.62x25

PA-63  9x18

SMC 9x18

Saiga .308

Arsenal SLR-105 5.45x39

Wow thanks lot. I guess I'll go for the Makarov. It does indeed look like a nice gun and the damn Commies did use them for a long time.

Thanks again.

*Where do they sell Wolf HP for 9X18mm , I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

i had a chance to put a couple magazines through a makerov a while back, and i was vey impressed. there was virtually no recoil(compared to the 1911's that we usually shoot), it was accurate, and it was a lot of fun to shoot.

the only downside i could see is getting ammo. you won't be able to just pick up 9x18 at wally world or your local sporting goods store. you'll probably have to order it online or wait for a gunshow to come into town.

go with the makarov. all the points listed are true. the gun is reliable, as accurate as it needs to be (you probably won't/shouldn't be attempting shots outside of 35-50 yds), and ammo is readily available. i found some ammo test on the web and the cheap silver bear stuff is supposed to be the best for this pistol. you can easily order mass amounts from aim and you'll save money too.

Aent~ Here are some sources for you:

Accesories~Grips / Holsters Magazines etc.~Makarov.Com

Ammunition~

-Aimsurplus.Com

-Sportsmasguide.Com (my usual source)

-Ammunitionstore.Com

-Local Gunstores (can order if needed)

-Gunshows

In my Makarov and in my CZ-83 (9x18) I carry either Hornady XTP or Magsafe for defense (prefer the hornady) and for ball my Makarov likes Wolf 109 grain FMJ, but the Winchester FMJ is good but a little pricey. Good luck and let us know what you decide~~JDA1

I use both a Makarov (Russian) and a CZ-52...like them both.

For defense, the Makarov is the clear choice -it's pretty much a poor man's Walther PP series type weapon. The 9mm Makarov chambering would be best -it is now widely available and american loaded...it's pretty much a Walter 9mm "Ultra" police load they played with once (about as good as it is going to get in a blow-back compact handgun).

If ammo was not readily available, I'd recommend the .380 version -but, in a pinch, you can run .380 safely in the 9mm Makarov (Really! DON'T attempt to reverse this, though -different bullet diameters).

It is reliable, shoots well and packs nice. The gun for the price is unbelievable.

The CZ is more of a pocket rifle -flat shooting and powerful...but it does not carry easily and is slower to bring into play (it is not double action). It makes a nice farm or trunk pistol to drag around.

That's my take.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Alright guys, I'll get the Makarov. I'll ask for it as a birthday present. Yes...I am an underage 20 year old college student. Since the law states I can own a hand gun as long as I am 18, then I can legally receive one as a gift from my parents (I just can't buy one from an FFL dealer).

I'm a new Mak fan, I use mine for CCW in a SmartCarry. They're accurate, rugged, reliable, *very* affordable (both to buy and to shoot) and powerful enough to get the job done if you do your part. The .380/9x18 is as low on the power scale as I feel comfortable with for defensive use (I carry FMJ for sufficient penetration) but I don't feel underarmed when carrying it. Get yours now while they're still cheap and plentiful!

Tomac

Makarovs001s.jpg

• 6 months later...

Missed an oppurtunity on GunBroker.com a few months ago....

Has anyone ever seeen a Russian Makarov(other than me) with the arrow and triangle on the sides?

the ones I saw listed were from 1976. I don't remember who imported them back then.

Man were they pretty. No big ugly import marks all over.

I will grab the next one I find regardless.

• 1 month later...
Missed an oppurtunity on GunBroker.com a few months ago....

Has anyone ever seeen a Russian Makarov(other than me) with the arrow and triangle on the sides?

the ones I saw listed were from 1976. I don't remember who imported them back then.

Man were they pretty. No big ugly import marks all over.

I will grab the next one I find regardless.

Russians are almost as rare as the East Germans. In fact, they might be rarer. You really have to look hard for them, and usually it's going to be through Gunbroker.

I just got a Bulgarian Makarov with two magazines for $110 at the local range here. After tax, a target, and a box of ammo for testing it was $152. It's great for places where I can't wear a jacket to conceal my 1911, since I can just toss this thing in my pocket and people assume it's a cell phone if anything. At worst someone asks me what the bulge is, I tell them it's my cell phone, and as I stand up, I sleight-of-hand my real cell phone into my right hand, palm it, and pretend to pull it from my pocket as I stand up. 9x18 is a sweet round too. I should get some Cor-Bon JHPs for it, though.

My only complaint is the sights. It could REALLY use a thicker front sight. The things I want for this gun now are this:

1) Radium or other radioluminescent paint for sights, or different sights altogether

2) Thumbrest grips (my current one when screwed on all the way leaves a 1mm gap between the frame and the grip which pinches the crap out of my hand. I hate it and haven't been able to fix it, though if I could find a fix, I'd keep these grips)

3) Ankle Holster

4) Magazines that DON'T HAVE THAT STUPID CUT SIDE DESIGN THAT LETS ME SEE EACH AND EVERY BULLET ARGH! Just give me a stainless magazine with a few holes and numbers drilled and engraved into the magazine. At least those drop free nice and I don't pinch my hand when loading up a magazine. Also, a 9rd magazine would be nice instead of the 8rd. They did the +1 thing with 1911s fine, you'd think Wilson Combat or someone could cook up a new spring that lets you hold 9 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Indy Arms said it best....a resounding YES to anyone who asks an opinion on purchasing a firearm.

Regarding the Makarov, they are nice shooters. I don't own one personally because I'm finicky about the grip pattern and how it feels in my hand. However, they are very reliable in the 9x18 caliber and make for what I believe an excellent CCW. I own the CZ 52 and yes being a single action makes it less than desirable for CCW but it is nonetheless one hell of a firearm. My personal preference in small arms for CCW is the Star BM in 9MM. These are cheap as well, 9MM ammunition is plentiful and they make excellent CCW weapons.

Just my $.02 is all.

I have one of the Russian Makarov's with the aftermarket grips and sights. Shoots well and was too cheap to pass up. If you get one I would keep a look out for a complete parts kit. I found one at a gun show for 35 dollars. Had ever part except the slide. frame and magazine body.