For the MHI Fans: Building Abomination...

Expecting an influx of additional new traffic off of Larry Correia's MHI, I figured it'd be a good idea to start a thread to help guide all of us Abomination-builders. "Tribal Elders", your advice on parts would be highly appreciated.

Basic Saiga-12

Probably any of the Sponsor manufacturers' irons will do for a base, although IIRC Correia biases toward Tromix. For this, we're all stuck with semiauto-only (aside from the Class II/III FFL's), and most of would be best off to stuck with standard 19" barrels unless in NFA-friendly jurisdictions and up for the paperwork.

(Added Concern) 922R Compliance Parts

Personally, I'd replace everything applicable on the 922R list with compliance-parts, that way I can use any mag that'll function without worrying about "US or foreign". Compliance parts integral to the Abomination build are marked with an asterisk and their category, so that leaves us with:

->Receiver, Barrel, Bolt and Bolt Carrier (4 parts): The gun itself, you're basically stuck with stock Izhmash. (This, the barrel, bolt and bolt-carrier are all currently no-domestics-available as far as I can tell, which means they're the imported "core gun".)

->Muzzle Attachments: Any number of muzzle-brakes, flash-suppressors and chokes. The canon iron's Modified choke, if I'm understanding how Saiga chokes attach, takes care of this, as noted below.

->Gas Piston: Many options, some improved over original design.

->Trigger/Hammer/Disconnector (3 parts): A number of options exist. Start with a Tromix and these are a non-issue.

->Mag body/follower/floorplate (3 parts): in my n00b opinion, if you're relying on magazines for 922r compliance, you're taking a BIG gamble.

*ACE stock w/recoil pad (922r Compliance: "Buttstock")

Canon doesn't give any details about this, but several parts look like they'd work.

*FAL pistol-grip (922r Compliance: "Pistol Grip")

->Tapco

EOTech NVG-compatible holosight

->X3 series

->EOLAD

->552/555/556/557 family

*Quad rail (922r Compliance: "Forearm/Handguard")

->Chaos

->Tapco?

Tula 6G15 40mm grenade-launcher

The 6G15's NFA (a "Large Bore Destructive Device") and probably not imported anyway--I don't know of anyone making a 37mm flare/smoke-launcher lookalike, so our best bets are probably to substitute various 37mm "M203"s on the bottom-rail.

*Modified choke (922r Compliance: "Muzzle Attachment"?)

->Tapco

"full Vang Comp treatment"

[edit 10/14/09]Comp ports in the barrel, I'm assuming the forcing-cone work doesn't apply. The rub is, finding someone with the skills to do the work.

Safety modded w/shelf for trigger-finger operation

This is a problem--I'm a southpaw...

->Krebs Custom

3-position gas regulator

I'm going to interpret this to mean any regulator with 3 or more positions--not sure about the new self-regulators, as canon refers to some pretty unusual loads.

8", springloaded sidefolder bayonet w/silver top-edge inlay

This one, I'm not sure if it'll ever exist, but if all I'm down's the Title II options, the GL and this I'll be happy--purists may disagree, and it would add some major cool-factor.

I'll ask Larry to clarify some of what he had in mind, but I'd love any advice y'all care to offer--especially since I'm trying to build the checklist on behalf of any other "new arrivals" with an interest in this peculiar modifications package.

Edited by Diamondback

That book is so freakin awesome..... I bought a few patches and a signed copy directly from Larry after my wife read the book and wanted to start learning about guns.... Since she read the book, I have gotten a firing range here on the farm and become an NRA Pistol instructor

I'm looking into getting my FFL, and have seriously considered building my own REAL Abomination if I get all the fun stuff......

Edited by BUFF_dragon

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-International-Larry-Correia/dp/0741444569

Product Description

Monsters are real... And it turns out that there is good money to be made killing them. Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

About the Author

Larry Correia is hopelessly addicted to two things, guns and B-horror movies. He is part owner of FBMG (Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns), a business specializing in firearms and movie props. He shoots competitively and is a certified concealed weapons instructor. He resides in Utah with his very patient wife and family. Monster Hunter International is his first novel.

Heh.

So I take it he specifically describes a Tromix S12?

Either way, converting an S12 from sporter to AK configuration is considered a restoration. Not an abomination. When I read your post I had no clue what you were trying to accomplish. The skeptic in me says you're trying to sell books. :haha:

FYI I believe FBMG has closed it doors and larry has moved on. He had a Tromix 8" but had sold it a couple of years ago. Abomination was the name of his S12. He had written this book a number of years ago before we had the MD20 and all the companies producing all the accessories we have to choose from now.

"'full Vang Comp treatment'

This one refers to compensating and porting the barrel--will follow up later."

If I am not mistaken a full vang comp treatment would also involve back boring and lengthening the forcing cone. Again I might be mistaken but I also believe the saiga's chrome lined barrel makes that problematic.

BTW if I didn't have a working knowledge of 922r etc I wouldn't have a clue what your post was talking about. Even then it was a jumble. Something for noobs will need to be much more clear and explain things in detail.

It did come out 2 years ago.The publisher just had a second printing and he is on a Q/A book signing tour. He said he has 2 more books in the works and has people talking about a movie, although he said 1 in 30 books selected ever get to the production stage. IT is an enjoyable read. Fun for scifi fans that like guns.

Guys, I'm not Larry and I'm not trying to shill for him--over on THR, I'm "Diamondback6"--some other guy grabbed my handle before I joined up. Bob, thanks for the illustration, but I had checked out ACE's catalog and just wasn't sure which part from their selection Larry envisioned, and build-from-text-description is exactly what I'm trying to plan out here. I assume based on his personal preference for Tromix conversions that he'd envision a Tromix "bed" for the refit.

As for the book, it just went mass-market in July--and I just came up with the harebrained idea about "how close can I get to building this?" a week or so before I registered here.

Agreed on "restoration", what makes it "Abomination" is the heavy tactical-izing paired with the (dropped) grenade-launcher and (possibly dropped) bayonet.

It did come out 2 years ago.The publisher just had a second printing and he is on a Q/A book signing tour. He said he has 2 more books in the works and has people talking about a movie, although he said 1 in 30 books selected ever get to the production stage. IT is an enjoyable read. Fun for scifi fans that like guns.

Never read the book, but it is too bad that they don't make some more original ideas into movies instead of trashing our childhood memories with recreations. SciFi is good!

• 2 months later...

It's also too bad some of our more creative minds on the forum can't post about something that they have a great interest and obvious enthusiasm for, without having to hear a bunch of shit from people for some reason...:rolleyes: Since when does every post have to be easily understood by everyone?

I certainly didn't have any problem following what his post was about, and I've never heard anything about it before. Sounds pretty interesting to me. I think I'll try and find a copy of the book and check it out.

Diamondback you definitely are an eccentric....but your imagination and drive is inspiring. I totally enjoy your posts. Sorry I missed this one originally and didn't see it til now. It sure beats coming here and reading a bunch of dreary, hum drum, negative ass posts every day....:rolleyes:

• Like 1