uh...how do I open this can of ammo?

I just got my first can of military surplus ammo for the 5.45. How do I open it? It's not immediately obvious.

Thanks.

It should have came with a little can opening tool.

It did not. What can I use as a substitute? My standard can opener is not up to the job.

Actually it is suppposed to come with a huge 10" green can opener. I have one sitting right here to my right.

BTW,"I" would not open it with a knife and hammer, unless my life depended on it. A big key type can opener should do the job.

• Like 1

Well...this is what you need....

post-1293-12556487585599_thumb.jpg

But I didn't have this when I bought my first can, so I used a hammer and a chisel, and carefully worked around the inside edge til I could peel back the first few inches. Then they will come out in the individual paper wrapped 30 rd bundles, like a dispenser.

Well...this is what you need....

post-1293-12556487585599_thumb.jpg

But I didn't have this when I bought my first can, so I used a hammer and a chisel, and carefully worked around the inside edge til I could peel back the first few inches. Then they will come out in the individual paper wrapped 30 rd bundles, like a dispenser.

That device looks familiar I have like um 5 of them sitting around here some where and yeah thats what you need to open it or a portable sander and sand the edge around it always works to or a big fking hammer and a nice flat head screwdriver mabie a Klein works well or a snapon hehe

I used a hacksaw on my first can. Just started at the top and cut down lip. Took it slow because I didn't want to saw any ammo in half. Once I got a part to grab it was vice grips to pry enough off to get some ammo out so I could saw all the way through.

Took awhile but I never knew there were can openers till about my 4th can I bought from the shop. The owner felt kinda bad that he hadn't given me one by then.

I found out on another forum a neat trick. You can use an angle grinder to open the cans neatly and quickly. just trace along the raised rim all the way around, once you've gone deep enough the lid lifts right out.

yehp, this works pretty damn quick. just dont ignite the paper inside the can when you do this, and cut the rounded part of the lip down OUTDOORS. that "toxic new eastern bloc surplus ammo smell" isnt good for you, ESPECIALLY when heated up to the smoking point. (read: REALLY bad for you)

leave the ammo in its paper wrappers, and stick in ziplock bags for storage. it will keep for a long time, and still not oxidize. just make sure you squeeze the air out of the bags before you seal them up all the way.

....or you can just shoot the whole tin right then and there :)

wipe the hot metal here and there with a wet rag if you make a "science project" out of it, to keep it cool.

I just lock it in my ramco bandsaw and saw the lip off. Takes 15 secs tops.

But if you don't have 5k to spend on the bandsaw then any of the ideas presented will work.

I opened the first one with a pocket knife, just stuck the point in and walked it around the can like an opener.