.308 VEPR / mag compatibility

I've shied away from a couple Vepr deals due to the extreme scarcity and crazy high prices of their mags.

I also posted that opinion but I think it was Will @ Red Jacket who seemed to be very comfortable with the Vepr because the Saiga mags could be modified? He knows waaay more than I so I'd check with him about that mod info.

Ive seen periodic posts that folks have modded a mag for their Vepr but until I see some reasonable qtys and extended use shown then my budget probably precludes that great gun :-(

Good luck

HarvKY

Saiga mags are just long enough to not be modded to the VEPR. You need to mod the VEPR's trunion to use Saiga mags in it.. On my VEPR I stopped short of the full mod. I didn't want to take any more off the trunion so I did a half 'n' half -- a little off the top rear of mag to clear the center support, shortening the front lock up lug, and as much trunion clearancing as I was comfortable with. CSSPEC's metal mag was easy to fit. Surefire's have a built in FAIL with their BHO follower -- when you pull the mag the front rises and catches the bolt as it's coming fwd. After killing one mag, I realized I needed to round the follower so the BHO feature would be defeated. Works now. :blues: