Hey guys, I got a buddy with a motorcycle kit build, he wants to paint his pipe black and he noticed my can of Alumahyde II sitting around from my last Saiga build. Has anyone used this on exhaust mufflers or pipes? Or do you know anyone that has? This is a oddball question but I wonder myself if it could hold up to long-term moderate to high temps....

I used it on a bolt gun. It does not seem impervious to alcohol or acetone. I honestly have not heated it because heat

is not needed to apply it. I am willing to bet that temperatures above 400 F will ruin it sooner than later.

A much easier and cheaper coating for high temperature is either VHT 1300-2000 header paint.

VHT FLAMEPROOF™ COATING

VHT FlameProof™ Coating will renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures. This unique coating is a matte finish, silicone ceramic base widely used by the automotive industry on exhaust systems and the aerospace industry for jet engines, re-entry vehicles and other high temperature applications. VHT FlameProof™ Coating will withstand temperatures up to 2000°F (1093°C) and is ideal for use on headers, exhaust systems, or wherever an extreme temperature coating is needed.

Temperature: 1300°F-2000°F (704°C-1093°C)

Applications: Headers, Exhaust Manifolds, Piston Domes, Inside Heads

Finish: Flat

Dry Time: Curing time required and can be done on or off vehicle (see below)

Curing FlameProof™

VHT FlameProof™ Coating only attains its unique properties after correct curing (refer to instructions on the can).

On the Vehicle

•Paint must be completely dry before curing

•Run at idle for 10 minutes

•Cool for 20 minutes

•Run at idle for 20 minutes

•Cool for 20 minutes

•Run under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes

Off the Vehicle

•Paint must be completely dry before curing

•Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes

•Cool for 30 minutes

•Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes

•Cool for 30 minutes

•Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

Caution: Do not exceed the temperature of the least heat tolerant component or the base metal

Edited by my762buzz

I tried on my chopper. Dont do it. Whatever it says in the can it doesn't hold up. It is tough as hell on my frame. The best

for pipes and heads is "Jet Coat" When I did it over I sent my pipes and heads 101ci 4x4 motor and it holds the color fantastic.

This is a name brand coating and many motor shops use it. You have to send it out but you wont be sorry. Real strong and would not spend a penny on anything else on my pipes.

Edited by whitetrashrn