Surefire mags hold bolt?

I did a bit of searching but didn't find what I was looking for. So this is what I'am trying to understand. How do surefire mags hold the bolt open on the last shot? I looked at my gun and see no way, other than the magazine jaming the bolt. Any one know how it works, or is it some kind of $37.00 magic?

I don't have the SGM mags for my .223 but the ones I have for my .308 work just like the Yugo or Chinese steel AK mags that have a BHO follower. There's a piece on the back of the follower that "jams the bolt" as you say. Take out the mag, the bolt closes....

I use the Bulgarian waffle mags in my .223 conversion. I also have the MSA AR-15 mag adapter and it's nice. You can lock the adapter in just like an AK mag (rock and lock)....then you can straight insert AR mags and they'll drop free when you hit the ambi release. At any time, you can unlock and rock out the adapter, still attached to a mag or not, and switch back to AK mags! Best of both worlds!:super:

• Like 1

i was using the surefire mags until recently switching to bulgarian "circle 10" mags. They work great. Very reliable. I didnt care for the bho on them but thats a personal preference. It is good for letting the rifle cool down quicker though.

• 2 weeks later...

I use orginal Saiga-223 30rd magazines, which i bought from Russia. Those are 10rd magazines with 30rd magazine bodies, just remove metal thingy that limits the capacity. Those magazines are damn expensive, 50 euros a piece, but in Finland we have shortage of USA made parts because of your crazy gun part importing policies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Saw this is sticky'd or something so that's why I voted & replied.

I use Galil mags. Both Tapco plastic & Steel original 35 rounders. No need to rock them out to remove them, they drop free when you press the mag release on my rifle which is cool.

• 1 month later...

I use Surefire mags entirely ... no BHO . Since the Surefires work perfectly , I see no reason at all to install a BHO . My Surefires fit tight and work flawlessly and I even like their looks inserted on the rifle , and yes , the follower stops the bolt open . What I do is I engage the "manual" BHO lever and take out the empty mag so the bolt stays open ... when I insert a loaded mag I rack the bolt a little and the BHO lever recedes and the bolt goes forward , loading a rd ... neat

Edited by josey88
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know a good way to eliminate the bolt hold open feature of the surefire mags. I just got one, it is a nice mag, but don't care for the BHO feature. I think I have an idea how to do it, but was wondering if anyone has done this....without messing up their mag.

I wouldn't really call it a feature...more like an un-intended side-effect. I think what you should do is take the follower out of the mag, take a dremel or a file and give the back edge of the follower (right where the bolt hangs up on it) a nice little bevel, so the bolt will ride right over it. If done right, it shouldn't effect feeding at all, and will allow the bolt to close right after the last round is fired.

This topic should be retitled to read "SGM" mags.

There are also Surefire (a different company) 5.56 mags on the market and they do not jam the bolt back after the last shot. Of course these are AR-15 mags, not AK mags, but I'll be finding out soon if they will work with the MSA and Renegade Buck magwells for Saigas. I've now got a Saiga with a TRUE "high capacity" stick mag in it. This one is a 60 rd quad stack, but the next will be a 100 rd. The 60 is only 1 1/4" longer than a 30 rd Magpul P Mag.

Going to try and get some testing done with pics and video soon.

anger.gif

• Like 1

Good to hear someone is testing the quad stack, as for changing the topic to read SGM mags I can't edit it.

I have no edit button at all, just quote and reply. Maybe due to the age of the topic?

Please feel free to change it to avoid confusion with the name change. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Surefire mags. I don't mind spending a bit more on them as they have a great rep, are reliable, rugged enough, and they FIT well. As to SHTF senarios or anything like that, I don't really care. My pistol uses proprietary mags (Glock mags ONLY for me), so why not the rifle too? With so many people saying their rifle works with many different mags WHEN they customize them to fit... WHEN does one have time to "fit" mags in such a senario? My philosophy is get a bunch that you KNOW work, and have used, and stick with them. Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the SGM mags for my .223 but the ones I have for my .308 work just like the Yugo or Chinese steel AK mags that have a BHO follower. There's a piece on the back of the follower that "jams the bolt" as you say. Take out the mag, the bolt closes....

I use the Bulgarian waffle mags in my .223 conversion. I also have the MSA AR-15 mag adapter and it's nice. You can lock the adapter in just like an AK mag (rock and lock)....then you can straight insert AR mags and they'll drop free when you hit the ambi release. At any time, you can unlock and rock out the adapter, still attached to a mag or not, and switch back to AK mags! Best of both worlds!:super:

What kind of adapter is this I've been looking into this conversion a little it

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That damn open bolt feature on the surefire mags nicked my bolt and made it leave deep groove like scratches across the bullet casing when the charging handle went across the bullets. I had to file the chip part down and file a 45 degree angle so that my bolt wouldn't catch anymore. Also, I couldn't put all 10 rounds in the mag. If I did, it wouldn't lock into place. I had to sand the bottom of the follower and cut a 1/2" off the bottom plastic peice so that I could fit 10 rounds in and have the mag click in my gun.